Nent Hall Country House Hotel
Staffield Hall(Kirkoswald)
TripAdvisor
Langley Castle Hotel(Langley-on-Tyne)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfour poster bedcoach houselamb shankattached pubfamily roombar mealsweekend breaksteak and ale pielovely hotelexcellent value for moneyrestaurant menuboth nightsopen fireevening meallounge areacooked breakfastplenty of hot water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Well, you can hardly blame the weather! It does that in the winter and I am no stranger to floods and nasty stuff!

So; here we were in the wilds and came on a KGB deal which was an utter delight. It is a good, honest, caring/sharing, delightful place. The staff are interesting and mostly local; have a great sense of humour and want you to enoy yourself. Evening meal? Please try the steak and ale pie. It never came from Asda or Nasty pies R Us. It was pure taste heaven! Wine? Nice, not a great choice but the house red was jolly and robust; like the weather. No, not like the weather more like High Force down the road which is another reason to go.

Breakfast? Excellent. Nothing fake here; great choice, clean and tasty, nice views of the rain and hills. I actually like that sort of stuff; makes me feel at home but then I was born not a million miles away.

The Room? Clean, comfortable,

Downside? Not really. They do it well; we liked it and will be back. I just hope that as they are part of a group of hotels they will retain their individuality and care and interest in their clientele.

Well done!

2  Thank KirkbyTony
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We received a two night stay at Nent Hall as a Christmas present from my fiancee's mother. We had no idea where it was and were shocked when we looked on the map! It was quite a drive from London but we decided to make a trip of it and drive North from London enjoying the scenery and cities along the way.

We got a bit lost getting to Nent Hall (don't follow the Sat Nav, get a map instead!) but the person at the reception was very nice about directing us when we called for directions. When we finally arrived we were upgraded to their best room at the front of the house - something I was surprised about since the stay was purchased from a voucher site.

We were absolutely stunned when we got to the room. There was a large living area, with the front part leading to the tower (you can't go up though). The bedroom had a beautiful four poster bed with a gorgeous bath in the room that we took full advantage of! It was more luxurious than any 5 star hotel I've ever stayed at. We ate one night at the cozy, candle-lit restaurant/bar and the food was fantastic. There isn't a single thing I can criticize about Nent Hall. I could honestly say this was hands-down one of my top 5 locations I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: If the best room at the front of the house is available - take it! I guarantee it is definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TrishLovesHabs
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We visit every year for our anniversary and are never disappointed. Friendly, professional Management and staff. Gorgeous food in restaurant or bar, in a romantic setting, log fires and candlelight. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The Tower room is impressive with a free standing bath and large sitting area with gorgeous views.
Reviewed November 17, 2012

if you want to recharge your batteries this is the place for you. beautiful scenery, good food, great service (can't do enough for you catch word is no problem) and a roaring fire. We went to leave the world behind for a couple of days and found it so relaxing, plenty to do if you want e.g. loads of countryside to explore, museums, lakes and lots more, or like us just sit and relax in front of a log fire, which they will not let go out. excellent home cooked food in the coach house bar which is attached. the staff make you feel at home and can't do enough for you, had a lovely chat with the chef which made us relax straight away. Would recommend this to anyone planning our next stay.

2  Thank Janet O
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This lovely country house hotel is in a beautiful setting amongst stunning countryside. Staff are delightful, friendly, helpful and efficient and service is first class. The public lounge has plenty of comfortable settees and a big roaring fire- perfect for a winter evening. Food in the restaurant is excellent and very reasonably priced. Our bedroom was definitely in need of refurbishment - quite tired and definitely not 4 star quality.
There's a 10 hole golf course less than 10 minutes from the hotel- it's quite exposed so not for the faint hearted in winter! Don't miss the Moody Bakery in Alston - the very best sausage rolls we've ever tasted.
Nent hall is well worth a visit- just check out your bedroom on arrival!

( I inadvertently graded swimming pool and fitness centre and I can't seem to delete now! Please remove!)

Room Tip: It wouldn't be worth paying extra for a four poster as I don't think the actual room will be any bigger than a double room.
2  Thank ecolley2016