“Its OK”

The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Widnes
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We booked into this Hotel as we traveled from Scotland to visit family in the area, we have stayed before and enjoyed our time there. This time it seemed to have changed. it is in deed of a face-lift as the decor is very tired looking.
The staff were very pleasant made us very welcome, although at reception there was a big thing made about booking it through a third party and where was our voucher ??? we printed off what we were advised to do before we left home and gave it to the receptionist who seemed to scrutinize it for what seemed like ages...anyway we got to our room and although it was clean I was slightly disappointed, It was very small and cramped. there was no Iron/board in the room and the toilet door kept sticking. My partner pointed out that it was a room at bargain price £62 including breakfast but to me its a bargain if your getting the norm at a lower price I felt we were put in the staff quarters, but as i said it was clean so no worries. I was awoken at 5 am with the sun pouring through the thin curtains well that was me up i cant understand why some Hotels cant use blackout blinds/curtains it would make all the difference especially during the summer months the curtains used were lined but that does not constitute black out material. The breakfast was shocking, it was self serve which im fine with, the coffee was in large thermos jugs and was lukewarm, the toast was already toasted and had been sat under heat lamps as was the fried egg it was like rubber so I couldn't eat it, I was very disappointed as as an ex smoker i awake to look forward to a great tasty breakfast lol...alas this was not to be.
We wont stay there again as there are a few other hotels in the area that we have used before..you don't always get that bargain at the end of the day.

Room Tip: not room 17 too small for a couple
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Linda S
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. Having investigated your comments I can report as follows.
In the main I don’t see anything wrong with the décor at all we have our own painter and there is a constant programme of redecoration and refurbishment.
I have spoken to the receptionist who checked you in, as you can appreciate each booking agent has their own system. We therefore must have the correct paperwork the lady on the desk simply completed her job correctly to avoid any unnecessary future queries.
You reserved a standard double; it’s not our best room it is in very good order with a new carpet, bed and headboard and good decorative order. I don’t view it as cramped at all, perhaps if you were a three or four night visit with matching baggage it could be, however you were a one night visit.
That particular bedroom is at the rear of the Hotel and has net curtains plus lined curtains. I suppose there may be slight light entry however the sun rises at the front of the Hotel in the morning.
On the more recent refurbishments I have used blackout lining, and providing my current supplier remains competitive I will continue in that vain for the future although I don’t view it as an essential requirement as the current curtains are more than serviceable.
You stayed on a Saturday night and came down for breakfast after service had finished at 10.00a.m. on the Sunday.
Despite this we provided breakfast. What should have happened is we should have cooked you another breakfast direct from the Kitchens even at that late stage, as the food displayed would be at the end of display time. My apologies that you failed to receive the appropriate attention.
We don’t believe we are perfect and we can make errors or fall short of expectations. As in any other business we have a person on duty to attend to any queries you may have at the time who is the Duty Manager. Although in the main if you mentioned it to the appropriate member of staff as in this instance the waitress it would have been rectified. We cannot rectify anything after the event when we were not made aware at the time.
For instance, checking our bedroom availability for the night you stayed we had one suite available and two executive bedrooms at the time. We could have upgraded you had you mentioned you would have preferred a larger bedroom. Although there would have been an increase in tariff it would not have been “bank busting”. We were not aware you would have preferred a larger bedroom because nothing was mentioned.
If you decide to return in the future (subject to availability) I would be happy to upgrade you to one of our newly refurbished suites 42 inch TV, 2000 plus pocket sprung king size mattress , four poster bed and sofa, with large bathroom suite etc all quality. Please view our website.
I hope you re review your decision and return in the future, either I or one of the Management team would be more than happy to meet you.
You would be made most welcome.
Thank you for your comments, my apologies for any disappointment you may have had.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

we stayed in the hillcrest 19th may checking was very easy the room was out of this world four poster bed very clean/tidy the food was very good and filling and served effently could find nothing wrong with this hotel would stay here again

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank matt c
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind comments. I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your time with us.
We have five four poster bedrooms all king size refurbished to a high specification each bedroom is a different decor/ theme.
I was pleased you approved,hope to see you return in the future,

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Well, a week ago today we were celebrating a very special birthday.........My sons 21st.............
+ I must say THE HILLCREST HOTEL did us proud.
Nothing was too much trouble, the staff + management went above + beyond to make Davids day extra special.
The room looked beautiful................ The staff were great ...........+ the `Breakfast Barmcake Buffet` has been the talk of the week.. :-)
Thankyou so much to everyone involved, we will DEFINITELY recommend you to anyone who wants a great party in the Widnes area.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lindsay R
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments I was so pleased to read how much everyone enjoyed the party.
Your views will be passed on to the team. We hope to see you return in the near future perhaps to our Comedy Night on June 6th.
Thanks again.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Have just returned from an overnight stay after doing the Coronation Street tour.
Myself and three friends had a very enjoyable stay, the rooms were very clean and airy and the food was excellent.
All the staff were very friendly and we would especially like to than Valerie and Pauline for the very efficient and friendly service.
Would definetly recommend this hotel.
Thank you.

2  Thank Dot W
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear Guest
Pleased you enjoyed your time with us. We service a number of these Cioronation Street tours, celebrity/singers events for Liverpool and Manchester, both for group clients and private individuals.
Its easy access to the motorway from the Hotel, and a quick journey.
Thank you for the favourable comments for the breakfast team hope we have the pleasure of your company again.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stopped here for 1 night after booking with national holidays for Barry manilow but when arrived hotel didnt have us booked in which was holiday company fault but hotel gaves us a free drink to have while we waited for room plus also upgraded room for us too which was great. Room was massive clean light warm perfect really 2 big double beds. Food at evening is bit poor due to choice not taste. Only fault was it was hard getting up the ramp to get in due to it was very narrow and over grown bush made it even harder anyone with big chair/scooter wouldn't get up it as its not wide enough. Certainty one of the better hotels national holidays have chosen

1  Thank popsey2116

Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive comments I was pleased you enjoyed your time with us.
Food really is whatever the person’s preference is we try our best.
By coincidence we pruned some of the bushes at the front yesterday as they were starting to encroach on the walkway.
Hope to see you sometime in the future.

Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in room 55 this week and frankly Corus you should be ashamed asking top rates for third rate accommodation.

The fabric of the room and bath room was beyond being 'very shabby' and clearly it was LONG overdue a refurb by a couple of decades.

I also eat at the hotel in the evening and was treated to a menu from the 1970's to match my room.

The breakfast was a little better, but spoilt by only having one waitress serving who spend most of the time moaning about there being too many guests..... Which made you feel very welcome!

Frankly business travellers save your money and go to a Premier Inn decor more up to date, bigger rooms and a more comfortable bed.

Corus get your act together if you're charging people to stay at the Hillcrest.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Bobcholmes
TheHillcrestHotel, General Manager at The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. I have made a preliminary investigation concerning your booking.
On investigation you paid a good commercial tariff and you should never have been placed in that bedroom. We only have a few bedrooms left at the Hotel that still require refurbishment and room 55 is one of them.
I don’t have an issue selling the bedroom at a budget tariff your tariff certainly was not and my sincere apologies for your disappointment.
We have some excellent and very spacious refurbished bedrooms with 42 inch HD flat screen televisions and 2000 plus pocket sprung king size beds with sofas and vey large bathrooms.
Food is a personal choice our current menu has only been in about two months and generally well received.
I will be speaking to the waitress on duty for that day concerning her comments. If you look back on our reviews you will observe most are very positive and breakfast service is mentioned as being very good.
I apologise that our approach on the day was unprofessional. I will be writing to you under separate cover shortly.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

We used this hotel for a four night stop whilst on holiday with Grand UK. We had a twin room which was clean, warm and comfortable. It overlooked a little garden area so we woke up to bird song each morning. If I had to find a negative it would be that there was limited hanging space and no draw space. There was a good wholesome breakfast which was self service, which was fine and a good choice for the evening meals. The food was cooked to order and was really enjoyable. Although we were a coach party the restaurant arranged the seating so that we could sit in two's or fours instead of being bundled all together. A nice touch. If you ever go, check out the hidden piano in the bar area of the restaurant! The biggest asset to the hotel is the staff. Valerie and Pauline in the restaurant area were excellent and all of the staff were very helpful, pleasant and polite. I would happily return to this hotel if ever I am in the area.

1  Thank PatriciaEnfield

Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive comments. I was pleased you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel.
We like to think that in the main we are a value for money Hotel and we hope to see you return in the future.

Duncan Reich A.I.H.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Widnes
Best Western Everglades Park Hotel
#7 of 22 in Warrington
Holiday Inn Runcorn
Holiday Inn Runcorn
#2 of 3 in Runcorn

Been to The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes? Share your experiences!