“What a great Experience!!”
Review of Black Horse Inn

Black Horse Inn
Ranked #25 of 109 Restaurants in Widnes
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Primarlily a pub with an attached restaurant
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am not a regular in the Black Horse but I must say it was quite an excellent experience which I wish to repeat often on the basis of this joyfull venture.

We dined on a saturday evening with an apparently young waiter showing us to our seats. He was most charming, accomidating, friendly and very approachable. Having told us that he had been in since 12 he was still enthusiastic and driven to provide a well rounded dining experience.

Our food arrived and was superb. I had a mixed grill that came to 10.95 but once you got it you understood why. There was a mountain of food which was certainly a treat after a hard days work. My wife and daughter both got the two for 10 pound deal. They both thouroughly enjoyed there meal and said for the price that they recieved plenty of food.

Service time was fast and efficient with excellent customer service. We enjoyed it and will be returning in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Black Horse Inn

Reviewed March 11, 2013

On Sunday march 10th, my friend had planned and booked a table at the Black Horse Cronton. I had not been in the place for quite sometime, and was appalled at how grotty it had become, the atmosphere could of been cut with a knife, and as we were about to sit, a man and his wife wished us good luck with getting food. A table of 8 followed out soon after, waiting nearly 2 hours for starters was beyond a joke! We were then told by a member of staff ' Dawn' the acting manager, who apparently runs the crows nest too- note to self (avoid the crows nest)- was leaving the next day so she basically didnt give a s#! t (staff words not mine). Now a little fact I forgot to mention was it was MOTHERS DAY! The bookings had been made weeks in advance, and for 18 customers to walk out before being served was disgraceful, Dawn obviously is not a mother herself, as I believe she treated the people of Cronton with the same respect she has for Punch Taverns!!! GOOD RIDANCE TO YOU DAWN, I WOULD OF LIKED THE OPPORTUNITY TO SAY THIS TO YOUR FACE OR EVEN IN A TELEPHONE CALL, BUT I HAVE RANG 6 TIMES (INCLUDING THIS MORNING..... Hoping I could catch you whilst doing the hand over). You certainly have helped to weigh down the sinking ship and god help the new managers, I wish them all the luck in the world, and they will need it. Dawn ruined pensioner ladies mothers day by having 1 waitress, 1 barperson, 1 chef, all of whom were not capable of coping with 40+ people at all. She knew what bookings were in, as I see it she deliberately sabotaged the day, all because she wasnt capable of "turning the place around" , a statement she had apparently made to the ever decreasing regulars. It will be sad if the Black Horse closes, it used to be a fantastic pub with good food at competitive prices, a warm welcome from friendly faces, now it is overpriced, abominal service, and it is all down to the disracefull manager. The look on those little old dears faces, when they had to walk out without being fed!!!! made me more than angry!!! and where on mothering sunday could 8/10 people get a table without booking in advance, ....... The crows nest maybe????? Disgraceful Dawns other place! I shall now be looking to see what reviews that place has, and suggest the pub company thinks less about money and more about detail, if that pub is to stay open it needs TLC, something that diabolical Dawn is clearly not capable of! Shame on you disgraceful Dawn!!!!!!!!

Reviewed November 10, 2012

A very strange pub. On the one hand there is a pleasant restaurant-style seating area at the back, where you are shown to your table by a chap dressed as a waiter and given menus. But then you discover, after sitting for some time, that there is no table service and you have to order your food up at one counter and pay up front, then your drinks at the bar, just like any typical "Fayre & Square"-type pub.

The food is priced and presented as a gastro-pub (main meal average £8-9) but the quality is that of any chain pub. Once it came (it took approx 50 minutes, even though the place wasn't even half full) the food was disappointing. The chicken curry felt like it was straight from a jar, with far too much sauce and an unpleasant after-taste. I also asked what kind of curry it was and was given the vague description of "medium". If we'd had the same meal in a "two courses for £10" type of place then we wouldn't have been disappointed, but the setting and pricing gives the impression this pub is aiming higher than it can deliver.

We felt it was missing a trick entirely on the lack of table service and better quality food. With such a nice dining area this could be a much better place. This was our second visit, giving it a fair chance after a similarly average first try, but following today's experience we will not bother returning.

1  Thank Kazgraz
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I've been coming to the Black Horse Cronton for many years the food has always been excellent. However, I came in last sunday since its been took over by new management to give it a try and it was a dreadful experience! Firstly when we in there was no staff to be seen I had to shout to get someone's attention to order by meals. my wife and I had to wait 50mins for our meal I ordered a steak and it was tough as old boots (wouldn't even of fed it to my dog).
My wife ordered the curry which was very watery and bland lacking flavour. The atmosphere itself was dull, the pub was freezing cold with no heating. I asked a waiters can I speak to the owner to put a complaint in, we then seen the waitress go over to the supposed landlady who had a coat on and overheard her say "can't deal with this at the minute I've got to go".
I will not be venturing back here again and can honestly not recommend anyone trying it in the future.

2  Thank Robert M
Reviewed October 30, 2012

8 of us dined here in mid-October not long after the new management took over. They were extremely welcoming and accommodating, especially since we only phoned 15 minutes before we arrived and they still managed to seat us all comfortably.

The food was excellent. I had Mushroom Stroganoff and it was to die for. Everyone else's food looked great too. The food was very reasonably priced too.

All in all, I would love to make a return visit the next time I am in the area.