“Very nice but you do pay up for it”

Maplewood Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 115 Restaurants in Widnes
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Lovely chinese restaurant with a handy pub over the very bust main road, very nice authentic quality chinese food but you do pay for it, quite expensive!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Chinese / Cantonese food isn't one of my favourite cuisines, I find it a little bland and stodgy. We went here for my wife's birthday. It is lovely inside, the decor of the restaurant was great, lots of solid dark wood and reds, with traditional chinese art on the walls. Waiting staff were friendly and service was good. The menu had a huge array of choices, to the point of being overwhelming! My wife is vegetarian and she was really impressed the with amount of choice for her. Since don't eat at Chinese restaurants often and am probably not the best person to ask about the food because I don't have much to compare it to. That said, I enjoyed my meal - the food was fresh, well prepared and nicely presented. The portions were huge! The restaurant were happy to bring a cake out for us to celebrate my wife's birthday and played the happy birthday song when they brought it out which was a nice touch! (and very amusing because the song went on forever and suitably embarrassed my wife!). A good night, and though I might not rush to go back, it was a nice change and would recommend it if you enjoy Chinese food and want something a bit nicer, more up market than your usual takeout or 'all you can eat'.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Had some great meals over the years at the maplewood but new management and staff are not as good a they used to be. Drinks waiter miserable and downright rude and one waitress didn't crack a smile all evening. The food was good but only got half a cup of luke warm coffee and no re-fill. Rang the next day to complain -reluctant to let me speak to the manager - the person i spoke to said it was because they were short staffed- no excuse- get your act together - won't be back and won't recommend to others. When you are paying those prices you expect better

1  Thank Paul G
Reviewed October 7, 2013

10 diners for family catch up. Seated immediately (as so busy for take away always a good sign!) and more importantly drinks order taken straight away! We opted for banquet A with all of their recommended dishes. They offered to leave gap inbetween courses. The staff were attentive taking drinks orders regularly although the restaurant was completely full. The food was extremely good and the staff attentive.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

First visit here and it was a last minute decision after managing to get a babysitter for our wedding anniversary. We opted for a set banquet and the variety and quality of the food was superb. Portion sizes were just right - we didn't feel skimped but equally wasn't too much so all courses could be enjoyed to the full.

Service was very attentive and friendly and it was nice to see the floor manager observing the room and ensuring all was right.

Will definitely go again, my only
concern was the drink prices - £3 for a pint of coke is profiteering