“Good for the money”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Widnes
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good for the money”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

All the staff I met including the manager were friendly helpful and efficient. The room was reasonably clean if a bit faded, cold on entry but management sorted that out for me. The WIFI worked well in all areas, papers are available for guests, large car park and a comfortable (if a bit cold) bar. As there is not much near the hotel I dined in the hotel. The restaurant I found is a bit pricey for the style of hotel and location, but I enjoyed the food and the restaurant were staff good. Breakfast is to order and I found the bacon, black pudding and poached egg very good. The cereal fruit and juice buffet were a bit sparse but ok for me. Recommended for business stays, perhaps not a romantic breaks but overall good value.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
DanQuinton, General Manager at Best Western Everglades Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for your comments, feedback is always appreciated. I will pass your comments onto staff and hope to see you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have stayed here in February for 2 nights, both the nights were noisy because I have been given room at groundfloor which is next to car park. Rooms are very clean and bed is cosy. The tv works and gets all the freeview channel. The thing which really got my nerves is that I have been told that the breakfast finishes at 930am (I booked bed and breakfast), I was there at 8am and saw various things in the menu, things like yoghurt,prunes, fruits and an endless list followed by hot food like English breakfast. When I went to counter for the first light course, there were no yoghurt so I asked from the waitress have you got anymore yoghurts and fruits like prunes coming up ? She said we ran out of everything and only things are left are tiny boxes of cereals (like kellogs) and milk to go with that, mind you this is 8am. I had to give up my first course and order English breakfast (which is literally broken down on the menu as a list to fill a whole page) , believe me guys, those sausages they served must be value sausage from ASDA.

Room Tip: Dont book room on groundfloor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I apologise that your stay with us was disappointing and did not meet your expectations. The neccessary changes have been implemented and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future to show you that these issues have been resolved.

Travelers are raving about these Widnes hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on Christmas Eve before heading to the airport. We didn't have a booking however this wasn't an issue. I had seen a price online however couldn't book so we turned up at the hotel and got a room for the price we seen online.
The member of staff at the reception was lovely very helpful and pleasant.
The room was great very spacious and clean, everything you need.
Plenty of parking spaces and well kept clean surroundings.
Would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank emmskELB
DanQuinton, General Manager at Best Western Everglades Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have just had the displeasure of visiting the Widnes hotel, Everglades Park.

I got married there in 2008 and it was a wonderful occasion, the place was clean, the staff professional and courteous and the food and drinks were first class.

Today, I attended for lunch with my family (party of seven) and what we encountered was nothing short of disgusting.

On arrival, we found that we were seated in a corner. This was fine until we noticed how slippery the floor was on approach to our table and we had to hold on to our seventy five year old mother to save her from falling. On checking the floor, we found that it was covered in grease and on further inspection, hadn't even been vacuumed properly as the were remnants of party poppers, dust and general grime from a party the night before.

We decided to ignore this but we were shocked further by the dirtiest cutlery I have ever seen on a supposedly freshly laid dining table. The chairs were also dirty and full of stains.

We complained to the very young and shy 'waiter' and along with a female colleague, he apologised and arranged for us to be moved to a cleaner table.

Once we had ordered drinks, we then got up to obtain our Carvery lunch, however on picking up our plates, we discovered that they were even dirtier than the original cutlery and were covered in what looked like ash. We checked six plates before we complained to the chef, who offered to 'polish them.'

This was the final straw and we decided enough was enough, and left.

It was disappointing as we have always had great service at the Everglades but this was totally unacceptable. I am a frequent user of Trip Advisor and an experience like this has never happened to us before, so it looks like I will be posting my first negative review.

Ps. I emailed the hotel, got no reply.

• Stayed January 2013
6 Thank FlyingPig77
Thank you for reviewing the hotel, both positive and negative feedback is welcomed. Customer care is something I pride myself and my team on and to hear of what happened is most upsetting. This has been dealt with and action has been taken towards the attitudes and training of the staff present at the time as well as others.
eastbourne
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Just back from two very pleasant nights staying here. Easily checked in by a very pleasant young lady on reception and also found the rest of the staff very friendly. The room was a good size and was very comfortable and was spotlessly clean, flat screen TV, free wi-fi etc. Also given three free drinks vouchers per night for use in the bar, excellent breakfast. When I am back in the area I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel and I have passed your comments to the rest of the team who are very greatful.
London
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We went to the hotel for a Boxing Day dinner and would not go back. There was no ambience, no Christmas music, no decorations, no feeling of Christmas at all...it all felt like we'd been herded into a big room, with no sense of occasion.

Our table didnt have enough cutlery and we had to ask twice for ice in the drinks. The toilets were yucky (floor was sticky and covered in toilet roll) and by the time we got to the buffet, the candles had been blown out and the food was cold. There was no salmon or profiteroles (as advertised on the menu) and they ran out of mince pies too.

On the plus side, the food was actually quite tasty. The gravy was hot and the roast potatoes were very yummy. We did a little poll around our table and voted 7 out of 10 for food and 2 out of 10 for presentation.

Overall, the food was good but there was no thought put into those little extra touches, which make a meal really special. With drinks, we paid about £120 for 4 people. Alas, I don't think we'll be back.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Shalott
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Great hotel, I have stayed on a business trips for one night. Fantastic evening meal which was extremely good value for money, go for the set menu. Room very clean and obviously well cared for, Bathroom very clean and functional. Lavender spray for the pillows and bedding is a lovely touch.
Staff were all very friendly, efficient and helpful. I would really recommend here for handiness to Liverpool.

Room Tip: If a function is on, you are generally put in a room away from all the action! But you might be aswe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Widnes
The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes
#3 of 3 in Runcorn
The Gullivers Hotel
The Gullivers Hotel
#10 of 21 in Warrington

Been to Best Western Everglades Park Hotel? Share your experiences!