“Tired and in need of refurbish”

Best Western Everglades Park Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Widnes
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stayed for two nights. Poor quality hotel. Rooms just adequate. Shower ranged from very hot to scalding. Staff in-experienced. Breakfast luke warm and tasteless. Not worth the money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sunkissed_cpl
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for your review. All feedback poitive or negative is greatfully receieved.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

We had stayed for an occasion and lovely view from outside. And when entered staff didn't really know what they were doing. Breakfast was cold as they had the "help yourself"... And only served 15 eggs for the whole hotel. Disgraceful!!! I would not stay here again and definitely not worth the money!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Pluckytub
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for your response. I am sorry you had an unsatisfactory stay and I hope I have the opportunity to prove this isn't a regular issue and we are a better standard of hotel than you witnessed.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Stayed for three nights on business. At £62 per night b&b it was reasonable. Although dated to a degree my room was clean and well furnished. Bar area smelled a little stale and could do with freshening up but restaurant/ breakfast room was okay.

Breakfast service was a bit hit and miss although freshly cooked food was unexpected at the price.

All in all, a good stop of for business but wouldn't take my wife for a night away! Which can be said about almost every best western I 've stayed in.

Best asset were staff who were friendly and obliging if sometimes a little disorganised.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for your review. My team would like to send you their thanks for your kind words. I have aknowledged everthing you have said and can assure you changes are being made to improve the hotel.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed here for one night before a weekend trip to liverpool. We chose this hotel as we usually enjoy staying in best western hotels and had enough reward points for a free night. I wish we hadn't wasted the points.
The hotel is pretty unattractive from the outside and once inside our room was dull and dated.
We decided to eat in the hotel's restaurant, what a mistake this was!
The service was awful. There were three other tables of guests in the restaurant, two lone travellers and one other couple - so it really wasn't busy. There were two waiters who spent most of their time in the kitchen unless bringing out food. The food wasn't great but it would have been perfectly fine if the service had been good. They managed to get my main course wrong, which they realised as they put it down on the table so went back to get my actual order made. We had to ask for them to take my partners steak away and provide a new one at the same time as mine. We sat for twenty five minutes with empty glasses on the table, and as there were no staff in the restaurant we had to wait until one came out bringing somebody's food and call him over. We didn't bother getting dessert as just wanted to get out ASAP. There was no gesture of goodwill for their mess up, which meant we waited a further half hour for our mains. When we walked out of the restaurant and past reception the duty manager asked if we'd had a nice meal. We explained the situation and the next morning were offered a measly 20% discount on our food (£10) or 5000 membership points. We took the points but found it an insult that this was all that was on offer. I definitely wouldn't stay here again and will now think very carefully before staying at another best western. I tried to do online feedback after the stay but I didn't hear anything back.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ndm2010
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for your response. Since your stay I have implemented more training in to the staff and have invested in the apperance of the hotel and extra work is ongoing throughout. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you again and hope the points you received from us came to good use.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

I booked this hotel because it is literally just around the corner from my home. We had Spanish friends arriving for a 5 night stay from Tuesday 15th May until Sunday 20th May. They speak no English and I needed them to be close by in case of any problems. From the day I booked the room with Emma on reception to the day our friends checked out, the staff were so helpful and friendly.
I asked our friends about their room, they said it was very very clean, lovely white towels in the bathroom, comfortable bed and everything they needed. They said the staff were always very pleasant and helpful and even though they didnt receive exactly what they wanted at breakfast, due to the language barrier, what they did eat was hot, tasty and presented well. One morning they wanted an egg each and a slice of bacon and received 2 eggs each and 6 slices of bacon, it gave us all a laugh and they didnt mind in the slightest! They commented on how friendly the restaurant staff were
We ate one night in the hotel with them and the food was excellent, hot and well presented, again, the staff were very helpful and friendly.
We could have booked them into a 4 or 5 star hotel but that would have meant driving much further every day to pick them up and worrying about them if anything went wrong.
We need not have worried about this hotel only being 3 stars, our friends commented that they felt it deserved 4 stars, that said it all really.
A special mention for the ladies on reception, Emma, Zoe, Hannah and Charlotte ( I hope I didnt forget anyone) Thanks to you all for looking after them, they are dear friends and I was so pleased they were treated so well. Well done to the staff at The Everglades Park Hotel who have improved international relations between Spain and England as I know my friends will tell anyone who cares to listen what a lovely stay they had

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel are lovely and quiet
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
DanQuinton, General Manager at Best Western Everglades Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

On behalf of myself and the girls on reception I would like to thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to have met and catered for your friends. If we can accomodate you or your family for anything else we would be more than greatful to welcome you back to the Hotel

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed for two nights, 6th and 7th April. £40 per night per room, bargain. Really pleased with room, very big, perfect for my son and I. Staff were friendly but could smile a little more, apart from the receptionist when we arrived on Friday afternoon, she was great. We chose to have breakfast on both mornings, sat morning was quiet so breakfast came from kitchen and was hot, tasty and good. However on Sunday the hotel was busier so a buffer was put on, this was not good, cold food, fried eggs that had been there so long the yolk was like powder and not offered any alternative (scrambled, poached etc). Overall I will use this hotel again but before requesting brekkie I will look first to see if it is buffet or not.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Strandboy
DanQuinton, Manager at Best Western Everglades Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Thank you for your reveiw of the Best Western Everglades Park Hotel. Your feedback has prompted me into looking at how we do breakfast. I have looked into the way we serve breakfast on busy days and changes are being implemented. Thank you again and I hope we have another chance to provide an excellent service.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Stayed for long weekend, and was impressed with attitude of pleasant staff.
Room was better then our last Best Western experience, clean comfortable and quiet, except for a couple in room above us arguing into the first night. A complaint to night porter quickly sorted the problem and staff were very appologetic. Excellent breakfast was freshly cooked and very good. Would probably benefit from Air-con during summer.
For the cost would definately recommend again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AshfordChivers
DanQuinton, General Manager at Best Western Everglades Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2012

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we get another opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Widnes
The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes
Holiday Inn Runcorn
#2 of 3 in Runcorn
Best Western Forest Hills Hotel
Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks

Been to Best Western Everglades Park Hotel? Share your experiences!