“Awful”

The Mersey Hotel
The Mersey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Widnes B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 28, 2012

The website is completely misleading. I stayed at this hotel for one night having booked over the phone. I chose the hotel as it was close to the venue of my meeting early the next morning. The rooms were clean enough but there was no washing facilities in the bathroom, soap etc. the bedroom light did not work, there was no cupboard / wardrobe to hang clothes, the curtain was falling off it's rail on both sides, there was a holder for a glass in the bathroom but, surprise, surprise there was no glass. the staff seemed friendly but the customers in the garden left a lot to be desired, litter, swearing etc. Area very run down. I couldn't face dinner or breakfast next morning, just wanted to be out of there as quickly as possible. I will not be returning. I dread to think what the " sister hotel " is like.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there are any good rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed March 19, 2012

this has got to be the worst hotel on merseyside, i turned up with my husband its rooms above a pub as you are going upstairs everyones eyes are on you, i felt uneasy and very uncomfortable, we took one look at the room and although we had paid for the room we left with the excuse we had to park the car, we didnt return and went straight back home

Room Tip: do not stay in this so called hotel!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank carol h
Reviewed November 2, 2010

visiting my daughter in london, i decided to check out widnes, westbank as my father came from area back in 1923. i realised being a working class area , not too expect to much. i decided to stay at the mersey hotel, they were kind and friendly, my room was OK, i was there on a sunday overnight, so i never heard too much at all, under my window was a grass area with people leaving quite early. the view from window looking out at silver jubilee bridge was stunning. evening meal was ordered pizza with glass wine in my room. breakfast ok. i found westbank very interesting and enjoyed the lovely walk around the mersey.....I was holidaying from australia...cheers

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank ecargw
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We checked out of this hotel and got a refund. The room was lovely and clean, but the food included in our deal was miles away at a sister hotel (only told at check in) plus the location of the hotel is in a down trodden pub full of drunk rowdy locals (At 4pm!) and we didnt feel the car would be safe parked outside. Must say though, the manager was brilliant when we asked for a refund, no qualms, but that makes me think that this wasnt the first time someone has refused to stay...

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BiffabiffGringo
Reviewed July 16, 2010

...... my refugee budget was running out, I was tired, hungry and thirsty. The Traveldoge was almost empty but although boasting 19 gbp rooms, the receptionist would not budge from 42 pounds for the night so I had to move on.

The pub is in a very unsalubrious area and the pub clientele would be more used to contractors than any other type of guests but it was OK for one night. They stored my bike inside and that always gets a bonus BUT the area and the fact that this is really a working pub with rooms lets it down.

Breakfast was Youth Hostel style and standard but OK for the price.

OK for contractors but I would not recommend for a family stay. Friendly staff ...as good as they get!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank thisisspain
Reviewed April 28, 2010

On arrival my first impression was 'oh my god what have I done'.But I didn't have much choice.through booking at short notice.
The hotel was really just rooms above a pub.The condition inside was quite poor as it was in need of much redecoration and bore little resemblance to photo's on their website.The room was very basic and in my opinion, not worth the 2 stars the hotel had given themselves.The only redeeming feature was an OK breakfast.
I also made the mistake of booking over the phone, and it wasn't until getting home that I discovered that £29.50 too much had been taken from my account.
I am now in dispute with the 'hotel' over this money.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family