Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Oaklands Hotel(Weaverham)
  • Restaurant
2,100 results
All reviewsgolf courseice roomgolf breakrelaxation roomcream tealovely hotelgreat golfplay golfpro shopround of golflounge barset menubar pricescheshire countrysiderestaurant staffrelaxing breakcourse meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I had a high level of expectation when booking at this hotel - it's location exudes excellence and therefore expected the experience to mirror this. It did not.

Whilst the staff are undoubtedly friendly and polite, they can equally be described as hapless and we were faced with one error after another - from a lunch order consisting of a bagel and salad taking in excess of 45 mins (and we were informed there were no other orders on in the kitchen), to there being no spa reservations, to the pre dinner drinks taking over 20 mins and therefore having to cancel them (the barman after taking our order and kindly offering to bring them over then continued to serve everyone else in the bar bar us!).

The general manager appeased the situation but I have the distinct impression that his main role is to 'clean up after everyone else's mess' with the exception of the therapist who did my hot stones massage - she was excellent and it was one of the best treatments I've had.

I was also well aware that other guests were experiencing similar issues and if I was to sum up the experience in one word, it would be 'sorry' as this was the expression heard most frequently.

A stunning venue, let down completely by untrained and ill equipped staff. Sadly we won't be returning and have severe reservations about booking in at another MacDonald hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank racheyw
General M, Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear racheyw,

Thank you for making your comments regarding your recent visit to Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa.

I am sorry if your experience was less than satisfactory, particularly since we do often get very good reviews from our guests.

I am glad that you found our staff friendly and polite, which are certainly qualities that can't always be trained. We will continue to work hard with our young team of staff, as we try to develop and improve all the services that we offer at the hotel.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 9, 2014

There is no doubt that this is a lovely hotel/golf/spar. A beautiful setting and the rooms are very tastefully appointed with quality furniture and accessories. I stayed here on business for two nights over a weekend and it was a very relaxing environment. But there is a problem. One expects to pay a little more for things in such an establishment but there comes a point when you feel that they are taking advantage. The bar meals that I had on both evenings were fairly average in quality but high in price. Fish and Chips for £15.95 and a pint of a average lager for £4.55. Ouch! The final sting in the tail was when I paid the bill. They levy a surcharge for using a credit or AM EX card. I have never known this at a hotel and I travel all over Europe on business regularly. Come on Macdonalds, with room rates as high as yours and £17.95 for breakfast this feels like a rip off. To top it all you have to pay extra for WIFI in the rooms. even Premier Inn don't charge for using credit cards and give you a free WIFI session.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank David G

Dear David G,

Thank you for writing a review of your recent visit to Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa.

I am glad that you had a pleasant stay. I do feel though that you could have been better informed, in order to have a better stay, and this is an issue I will discuss with our team.

We do have complimentary Wi-Fi available in the bedrooms and in our public areas, accessible to all. I am disappointed that this was not made clear to you.

There is indeed a surcharge on credit cards, but this does not apply to debit cards, and I am sorry if you were not made aware of this. There are other hotel groups who levy such a charge, and I am sure most readers will agree that such charges are common in many service areas, airlines, car hire and theatre tickets, to name a few.

We regularly conduct price comparisons with our competitors in the local area and around the country, and do find our prices to be appropriate for our type of hotel.

I do hope we will have the chance to see you at the hotel again, where we will happily get you logged on for free.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Ex colleagues and I stay here for two nights and play golf on both courses. Both courses are well maintained and a good challenge for the seasoned golfer. The hotel has improved over the years and this time I feel it actually achieved the 4 star rating. The staff were very at tentative and extremely friendly. The evening dinner On both nights was excellent with service to match. My one negative is the price of drinks in the bar. We will be back hopefully next year.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank nesjoh

Dear nesjoh,

Thank you for your lovely comments about your most recent visit to Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa.

I am glad that you have seen service levels improve, and that you had an enjoyable meal in our restaurant.

Most of all though, I am glad you found both the Championship and Premier courses in good condition. Barry and Justin, our Head Greenkeepers, both work very hard with their teams, and deserve a lot of credit for the way the courses are turned out.

I hope you'll return soon for another visit.

Warm regards

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We booked this hotel for our accommodation as we were getting married in the Portal Premier Golf Club. We couldnt have asked for more. The staff at both venues were fantastic,nothing was too much trouble. The hotel rooms were lovely. I booked the suite for 2 nights stay and was large enough to accommodate the whole wedding party on the morning whilst everyone got ready. We will be definitely back to stay in the near future. Thank you to Katy and Esta for making our day extra special.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Tracy J

Thank you for taking a moment to write about your experience at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa.

We are all so glad that you had a great time on your wedding day. We are blessed with the ideal environment for two people to spend their special day. I know that Katy and Esther are especially delighted that you had such a good time.

I hope you'll return soon to relive the memories.

Warm regards

Reviewed June 3, 2014

As a family of 5 we stayed in this beautiful hotel with stunning surroundings,we were more than happy with everything during our stay, we were made to feel very welcome, food and staff were lovely, even thou there were 5 of us there was more than enough space for us all. Myself and my partner would like to say thank you and we are hopefully going to return again on our own without our children.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear antoinette b,

Thank you for spending some time writing a review of your recent stay at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa.

I have shared your comments with our team who are all glad that you had such a good time. We all have families too, and know how challenging it can be sometimes when traveling. I'm pleased that we made things easier for you.

I hope you find some time to come alone as a couple soon.