I've just come back from a long weekend @ The Macdonald Portal Hotel were i played golf for 3x days. The 2x courses were lovely and in great condition except the greens, in the whole weekend we never got to see any green staff, i can only presume that all the works are carried out during the night or early morning. We played the Championship course on Friday & Sunday and found this to be second to the Premier course which we played on the Saturday. Its a shame that the greens were not looked after better as this could add to the course's.
The hotel i cannot fault apart from the service which was terrible, the reception staff were the only plus point for the hotel. The restaurant staff were very poor and unhelpful, i was in a group of 18 and they just seemed put want to put us in the corner out of the way from all other guests, i dont have a problem with this but i think the must of forgot about us. On one night some of the guys asked for bread for there soup and we were told we had to pay an extra £1.75 per slice although they never received the bread rolls. The drinks are over priced @ the bar when the bar staff could be bothered to serve us. When a few of the guys got back late to the hotel they were told they could not have a drink as they had not placed there card behind reception when they said they would do it then they were told it was too late and thay could not have a drink all this despite us spending over £800,00 on drink in the golf bar on Friday afternoon. I personally overheard one of the managers saying this was the biggest total ever.. Breakfast we had simalar issues with the staff when we asked for more butter or sugar for the tables, they looked at us gone out. The rooms were spot on and my overall rating of the hotel has been based on the service only. The late night bar staff & restaurant staff need to go on a customer service training course. I would be cautious to stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the heart of the Cheshire Countryside yet within easy access from the main motorways and towns, The Macdonald Portal Hotel,Golf and Spa is the perfect base to explore Cheshire and its many attractions and places of interest. Whether you are visiting for a pampering experience in the luxurious Spa, a round of golf on one of the two challenging golf courses or indeed a gourmet break enjoying the finest foods in 2 AA Rosette Ranulf Restaurant, Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf & Spa has something to offer for the entire family. Portal is also the home of the first Lee Westwood Golf School in the UK and offers a combination of three golf courses and an onsite golf academy. The conference and banqueting facilities have hosted many a prestigious event and both the Castle and Waterstone Suites offer the most wonderful venue for the perfect wedding celebration. A venue for all occasions, the hotel offers 85 sumptuous bedrooms, a state of the art Health, Fitness and Beauty Spa which includes an 18 meter swimming pool, advanced Technogym equipment and a thermal suite with rock sauna, aroma steam bath, ice room and salt infusion sauna. Why not dine in our fine restaurant with its 2 AA rosettes and views across the Cheshire plains. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf Hotel Tarporley
- Macdonald Portal Tarporley
- Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf And Spa Tarporley, Cheshire, UK