I booked the hotel for my boyfriends 21st birthday present and in with the price we got dinner in the resturant, breakfast the next morning and one 30min treatment each in the spa.
In general, the stay was really nice.
-The rooms are lovely, very modern and clean with a big bed and tv. The tv also plays into the bathroom so you can listen while your in the bath, shower ect. My only complaint about the rooms ( and im being fussy) is that the pillows are really soft. Plus, we only got one towel to share between the two of us.
- The resturant at night wasnt as good as i was hoping. The food quality was ok, but they lacked on basics like a steak knife. Everything was VERY overpriced with small portions- but i guess thats expected with al a cart. Also, the atmosphere in the resturant was dreary. It was so quiet and awkward i barely even wanted to speak as everyone around could hear your every murmer. Also, another negative for me was the amount of buisness men and groups of men in suites everywhere, not many familys or couples.
-Breakfast was great, lots of choice in the buffet and also a cooked breakfast however once again, the poritions where really small. If i had paid £18 (the full menu price) for the cooked breakfast i would have felt extreamly cheated!
- We then had the spa treatments, where i choose to have a manacure. I really wanted a pedicure but the lady on the desk said that treatment wasnt available that day- with no explanation why. The manacure seemed rushed, the lady put 4 coats on in the space of ten minutes and it wouldnt dry even an hour later and peeled off during the day which was such a disspointment.
-Reception staff- really lovely and helpfull, couldnt ask for better.
Generally a great stay, the rooms are the best aspects of this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the heart of the Cheshire Countryside yet within easy access from the main motorways and towns, The Macdonald Portal Hotel,Golf and Spa is the perfect base to explore Cheshire and its many attractions and places of interest. Whether you are visiting for a pampering experience in the luxurious Spa, a round of golf on one of the two challenging golf courses or indeed a gourmet break enjoying the finest foods in 2 AA Rosette Ranulf Restaurant, Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf & Spa has something to offer for the entire family. Portal is also the home of the first Lee Westwood Golf School in the UK and offers a combination of three golf courses and an onsite golf academy. The conference and banqueting facilities have hosted many a prestigious event and both the Castle and Waterstone Suites offer the most wonderful venue for the perfect wedding celebration. A venue for all occasions, the hotel offers 85 sumptuous bedrooms, a state of the art Health, Fitness and Beauty Spa which includes an 18 meter swimming pool, advanced Technogym equipment and a thermal suite with rock sauna, aroma steam bath, ice room and salt infusion sauna. Why not dine in our fine restaurant with its 2 AA rosettes and views across the Cheshire plains. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf Hotel Tarporley
- Macdonald Portal Tarporley
- Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf And Spa Tarporley, Cheshire, UK