“Fabulous!”
Review of Peckforton Castle

Peckforton Castle
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We stayed in the 'Beeston Suite', fabulous room, with a view over the countryside to match. The room was very luxurious, stylish, and it was clear a lot of thought had gone into the decor.
As the weather was pretty bad, there was very little to do there, so we drove into Chester for a couple of hours, and ended up having dinner there. The journey took around 35 mins, that little bit longer due to quite a few diversions, which was a nuisance.

There was a sign placed by reception, advising that maintenance was due to be carried out the following morning, between 05:30 - 06:30, i didn't think much of this at the time, as I thought I'd be fast asleep. I was.....until that time!! I was woken by the very loud noise. Even though we were on the third floor, the noise was louder than I expected, which resulted in me placing a pillow over my head to deaden the sound.

As the check in is so late and check out is so early, (check in 15:00 hrs, check out 10:30 hrs) I can't understand why this work could not be carried out late morning - that way, it can't wake anyone up. It's not best ever really, especially when you've paid so much money, but I'd be lying if I said that it ruined our stay.

Breakfast was nice. In our opinion, it wasn't any better than some cheaper places that we've stayed in, having said that, there was nothing wrong with it either. Yes, there's not masses to choose from, but i'm not remotely bothered, as long as what they do have is reasonable enough. The staff were pleasant and professional.

Upon check-out, I was a little surprised when I was asked to pay for our stay, as I assumed that this had already been done when I booked over the phone. At no point was I previously advised when booking, that you pay for your stay upon departure. It's a good job that i had my credit card, as I don't always carry it with me.
The staff apologised for the fact that I'd not been told, but it was no big deal really.

Despite being woken very early as previously mentioned, both of us thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and we'll be returning very soon without a doubt.
It's a beautiful castle both outside and inside, but it's not Claridge's at the end of the day. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but personally, I think that some of the other negative reviews are petty, bordering ridiculous, and I imagine that these people complain wherever they stay. Don't be put off, we loved it, and I'm sure you will too!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HOLABALU
Write a ReviewReviews (2,244)

Reviewed September 10, 2010

My husband booked this lovely hotel as a special to celebrate our recent anniversary and the end of our holiday. I was quite excited as I had checked the website before we left and was very impressed.

We parked our car in the carpark and carried our bags to the reception, we chuckled when we read the sign that offered valet parking on the way to the castle, I had totally missed it when I drove past to find the carpark.

The receptionist was welcoming and informative and she offered information about dinner in the restaurant or the bar area.

Our room was lovely, plenty of space, facilities and refreshments. It was a wee bit disappointing to find the floor had not been hoovered properly and was a bit dusty - but it was a Castle :-) Bed linen and towels had been personalised with the hotels crest, which really made it look special. We both had two pillows each (I hate only having one pillow and having to look in the cupboards or phone housekeeping to get another) but the one underneath had a pillow slip with a fraying edge and a couple of big holes in it.

The castle itself was lovely, an obvious wedding venue that would tick all the boxes for anyone's special day. The birds of prey were interesting and they offered a couple of different "experiences" at the hotel - a little overpriced, but I can appreciate why.

We went for dinner and decided to eat from the Bistro menu in the bar, as we had found a couple of options that suited us. The Bistro area was well furnished and we were served promptly and efficiently, although a couple of the younger staff who were helping the main server didn't seem very friendly or happy at work. There was a TV in the lounge area, which was on when we arrived, which didn't bother us. The annoying thing was that because there was an England football due to be played, the TV channel got changed to football - Italian Sky channel meant that they couldn't find the England game they wanted to watch. The volume was turned off (but I assume because the commentary was in Italian), but it would have been nice to ask the guests in the lounge if they would mind watching football. Dinner was good, reasonable value and prompt service. We enjoyed 2 courses with coffee which at £35.00 was great. We didn't stay in the lounge all night as it was kept busy and we felt we should move to allow other guests a table.

At breakfast, we had high hopes. We arrived at around 9am in the restaurant and waited by the entrance, to be told just to choose our own table and there was a self service cold and hot buffet, someone would be over to offer us tea or coffee.

We found a clean table for two, which was hard as the only tables that were clean were larger tables for four or more guests. We sat right next to the cold buffet table, helped ourselves to cereal etc. I was not impressed by the choice of cereal or accompaniments on offer, a poor choice of 4 large bowls of cereal. They did offer freshly baked croissants and pastries which were of a reasonable quality. Jugs of Fruit juice were placed near the hot table, but you had to remember to take the glass set out on your table (if you had one) as no glasses were available beside the juice bar - so back to your table. If you both left the table at once, you risked losing your table as other guests came to find a clean table for breakfast! We moved in shifts.
The hot food offer was poor. The only time I eat a hot breakfast is when I stay in a hotel but I didn't eat a cooked breakfast that morning - very unappetising. We had to ask for
additional butter for our toast and for our choice of tea or coffee - as no-one came to take our order. They continually were running out of main course plates for the hot buffet, with a staff member only bringing out one or two when requested by a guest.
There were 3 members of staff working breakfast, with no-one taking control or managing the operation. It was a shambles. Several other customers were obviously very unhappy and were sitting at dirty tables waiting to be attended to after being acknowledged by a staff member.
As we left the restaurant after breakfast, more guests were arriving to dirty tables, no crockery or glasses available and mayhem! You have to pass reception as you leave the restaurant and heard another guest complaining to the receptionist, who asked the guest if he would like to speak to a Manager, he declined the offer!

What a disappointing end to out stay. The grubby floor, holey pillow slip, staff wanting to watch the footie would have been forgotten about had we had a trouble free breakfast!

The welcome folder of the hotel details all the Managers of the different areas, loads of them, but we never saw one Manager during our stay. We filled out a comment card and asked for a reply via email, this has not been acknowledged as yet. Did it ever make it to the GM - I think not.

Breakfast needs to be re-organised. Breakfast is the final impression of the F&B offer at the hotel - for some it may be the only time they eat at the hotel, so it needs to be good, well organised and of good quality. Why set up a guests table with a glass for OJ, unless the serving staff are going to pour it at your table - its unproductive for staff and guests!
Hot food offer should be maintained by the Kitchen, not the serving staff, this will help with the quality of food on offer and maintain stock levels. The serving staff can then make sure that they are looking after the restaurant stocks (plates, cutlery, glasses).
There should be someone taking guests to tables - clean, set tables. Why not offer an express continental option down in the bistro area, with one server cleaning and maintaining.

We checked out about 5 minutes after breakfast to find about 4 members of staff at reception, why couldn't one of these be helping in the restaurant at peak. They were not busy at this point at all.

It's such a shame that a hotel with so much potential lets it slip at the last hurdle. Sort it out and we would come back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank scotlady101
Shanna79, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2010

Thank you for your review. Your comments are factual and i really reappreciate this. I am currently rebranding our breakfast menu and offering and will be taking your comments into consideration.
I hope to see you at the Castle in the future and would welcome your feedback.

Reviewed September 1, 2010

We recently stayed in the hotel to see the recent extension and refurbsihment having been several times over the past few years.
On previous occassions we have found the hotel exemplary. It is always a 'total' break with staff happy to help in a totally unique setting.
Our most recent stay exceeded our expectations. The 'newly refurbished' wing brings a level of intimacy rarely experienced alongside something of the scale of Peckforton Castle. Once again the food was outstanding, staff were welcoming and efficient as ever. The new Spa facilities were also welcome.
All in all we had a lovely stay and would heartily recommend it to all.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mjh99
Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stayed in the newly opened wing of the castle it was fabulous. We were in the Banbury room what with the huge bathroom with heated floor and mirror to the massive bed everything was just perfect. We had drinks in the brasserie and dinner in the resturant all I can say is once seen never forgot. We will definately be making a return visit to try out the spa and maybe see the birds of prey in action.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Trevinder
Reviewed August 24, 2010

A very disappointing end to what should have been a lovely break. The hotel itself is impressive and beautiful, the food was great but having bank cards stolen and several thousands of pounds removed from our accounts has completely ruined our trip. The hotel has not returned our calls, no apology, not even any show of concern that something untoward is happening on their premises. Be very careful about leaving handbags etc in your locked room! Even better think twice about staying here!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank farmerslass
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions since it was acquired by the current owners who have made significant improvements over the last few years.On this visit, we were allocated a suite in a newly refurbished wing of the castle.The views were spectacular and the accomodation was top quality.
We had a light meal in the newly opened brasserie which offered good food and a wide range of wines at realistic prices.
A thoroughly enjoyable experience

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2010

The drive up to the castle was exciting! I was amazed at the entrance for the castle, big steel gates.
My boyfriend and I had booked the His and Hers Spa getaway for just one night. We got the deluxe package which included...
New executive room...3 course meal, breakfast, spa treatments... back massage, facial and manicure for the ladies and Foot grooming for the men.

We were given Tattenhall , which is one of the new luxury rooms they have recently added. It had a lift going up to the rooms. We had an amazing huge bed. table and chairs complimentary thierry mugler toiletries, ipod dock, complimentary bath robe and slippers, free standing baths, shower, heating flooring... list goes on.
I found myself having 2 baths the same day because it was so lovely!
Our package included dinner in their main restaurant. we found out the restaurant was closed and we had to eat in the brassiere instead. which we were a bit disapointed about as it was advertise and we didn't get it. So we went for our meal at the brasserie anyways and we asked what our meal included which the girl didn't know. She was friendly and kindly went and found out, but it seemed like no one really knew anything about the package. The food was good but expensive for what it was. Although it was in our package and we were given a £25 per person to choose from, which was very easy to go over and I ended up just having a 2 course meal as My steak was already £17. When it came out it was the tiniest piece of steak.
The surroundings were lovely... peacocks walking around and the birds of prey were on display.
Although the falconry experience were £50 per person for an encounter which i thought was expensive. The land rover experiences were nearly £400 +. So we didn't do any of those. Although we were happy to enjoy our room. The next day we had our breakfast which I enjoyed. We also had our spa treatments, which was so relaxing. The spa had only been open for 2 weeks... although was disturbed by drilling and banging next door from the workmen fixing the toilets. But to be fair Vanessa, who is in charge of tranquality told them to quit it lol
We were sad to leave, we wish we could have stayed another night!

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ms_lj86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa
Willington Hall Hotel
Willington Hall Hotel
#2 of 4 in Tarporley
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Been to Peckforton Castle? Share your experiences!