before I start the review just a small tip if like me your travelling from the north west and using a sat nav when you get to the last junction and the sat nav says you have reached your destination you have to make the descision of turning left or right well turn right after about 500 yards the castle is on your left unlike me who turned left and drove another 10 minutes ok now to the review and I aim to be as honest as I can I must tell you that I got the booking by phoning the hotel direct and asking if they did the same price as the net offers the lady said have you seen the room for £65 a night I told her it was £59 a night and she agreed we could have it at that although the net gave the impression that it should be £250 a night when in fact it was to have been £150 so i thought at £177 for 3 nights b&b for me and my wife the deal sounded great also knowing it was the hotel that has been used for filming Dr who also Kevin Costner filmed part of Robin Hood there and it was ware manchester utd Wes Brown was married we thought it would be fantastic as we drove through the gates and drove the other 3 quaters of a mile up the grounds the sight was super there were peacocks and peahens on the grounds and a great collection of birds of prey in the gardens it was brilliant the setting is magnifficent unfortunatly there is still a lot of fine tuning needed for the staff now dont get me wrong every member of staff and I include cleaners and maintanance staff when I say there manners and politness was impressive but its the things they did not say that was the problem my wife for instance is not in to good health and we would have thought in making the booking that the reception staff would have brought to our attention that there is no lift we ended up in room 401 that is around 75 steps from ground to room so if your not 100% fighting fit please bare that in mind you will need to ask for a ground floor room also although I got the room for £59 a night I have to judge this as though I am paying full £150 there was no offer of a morning call ( although reading in the room it does say you can have one but a nice touch would have been told this on booking in) no offers of newspaper to room and the only ones we saw in the morning was the independent although there were tea and coffee making in room there was no choice of milk or cream it was just milk now all the 3 things mentioned choice of cream early call and paper I have offered to me at smaller cheeper places so why not at a £150 a night place ? the dining room in the morning was a little bit of a chase up the staff routine again they were very pleasent but once we had a coffee we had to ask them for another we had to ask for bread for the toast as they kept running out and not fast enough to keep up with peoples demands . as for dining we went out first 2 nights to a lovely british pub with great british food this place was called the Foresters if anyone needs postcode for this place or phone number please e mail me on email@example.com and I will be more than happy to send it you . on the last night we decided to go for a light bite in the hotel the main meals for 3 course ran at about £38a head we decided to try the smaller snack at about £9 a head we ordered fish chips and peas the fish was fantastic the peas however looked liked a teaspoon had been used and when I tipped the chips out of the little basket they came in there was 10 we asked for more chips and got some more only to be found we were charged another £2.50 after a word with the manager this extra was knocked off the bill and we did in all honesty have a laugh with the manager about it ok folks there you have it so a recap in short if I was to go again I would make sure had a ground room only pay offer prices £59 b&b is about right no more and eat at the foresters and be prepared to keep the staff on there toes for breakfast take all this on board and you should be fine
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Peckforton Castle - An enchanting Hotel in the heart of Cheshire. Rising majestically above the Cheshire landscape, the castle is both enigmatic and enchanting. Originally the home of Lord Tollemache and built in the early 19th Century, this Grade I listed building is the only intact medieval style Castle in the country. Over the years the castle has been the location for numerous movies including Robin Hood and Dr Who. Now owned by the Naylor family, the stunning exterior has been complemented by a loving and considered restoration programme resulting in a magnificent hotel and venue offering contemporary luxury and impeccable service. Services include 48 stunning individual guest rooms, conference, events, and wedding facilities for up to 180. Tranquility beauty, on site Falconry and team activities all adding up to a rather magical experience. Dining at the Castle truly is a special occasion, welcoming the public as well as hotel guests. The 1851 Restaurant offers a dining experience fit for royalty. Holder of 3 AA Rosettes and a Taste Cheshire Award. Alternatively the more informal and cosmopolitan 2010 Brasserie, located in the former scullery of the castle, features many of the amazing features of the original scullery including two cast iron cooking ranges dating back to the 1840's. Peckforton Castle's enchanting medieval style beauty and stunning location make it a truly impressive and desirable venue for weddings, christenings, birthday parties, or just about anything that's worth celebrating. Everything plays a part; the fabulous setting, stunning location, the attentive service and smiling faces, the bespoke menus and decorations. A magnificent venue for conferencing and meetings. Within the medieval walls, old and new combine seamlessly to offer state of the art multi media and conference facilities. Captivating on arrival, Peckforton Castle's unspoilt, natural beauty will stimulate and motivate, delight the eye, inspire the mind, tantalise the taste buds and leave you enchanted. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Peckforton Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peckforton Castle Hotel Tarporley
- Peckforton Castle Tarporley, Cheshire, UK