“Enjoyable.”

Peckforton Castle
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable.”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I took my partner here for his birthday on a dinner, bed & breakfast package. We enjoyed our stay, the castle is certainly visually stunning as you arrive! The birds of prey are amazing & I loved the resident peacock who wanders around the grounds!

The food in the restaurant is beautiful, fine dining at its best. The wines are reasonably priced. I felt somewhat disappointed that all you get is a buffet breakfast though, a restaurant of this standard & price point should be cooking fresh breakfasts for everyone (& I know that comparable levels of hotels would do so).

There were a few other niggly problems which just point to lack of attention to detail, for example we had only 1 (chipped I might add) mug in our room on check-in along with 2 dirty glasses from the previous occupants. We contacted reception who apologised, and on returning to the room we did indeed have new mugs & glasses. But they'd also left us the other dirty ones too!!

We stayed when a wedding was on, the music was very loud however it didn't bother us as it was shut off at midnight. Although we did get kicked out of the wine bar as they said they needed it for the wedding guests. Don't forget about your paying guests too Peckforton!!

Overall we enjoyed our stay, & would give it another go if a good deal came up :)

Room Tip: If a wedding is on it might be worth requesting a room away from the evening function room if you wa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank catswhizkers
Michael A, Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thanks for your good review, I'm glad you found your visit enjoyable. I will be sure to share your comments with team. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed for our birthday as we have booked the castle for our wedding next year. The place is just amazing the minute you arrive till the minute you leave you are made to feel special and welcomed as if you a family member. The bedroom are spacious the beds are to die for I had my first uninterrupted sleep for a long time and lost my partner in the bed as it was so big, spent ages in the roll top bath, the food in the restaurant was lovely only a little complaint the starter choice wasn't the best pig trotters aren't my cup of tea but we had tomato soup again not the best but the main and dessert were top class breakfast was lovely and plenty of choice, each member of staff we came into contact with was friendly and helpful. Would especially like to thank Matthew naylor for remembering us from our first visit you really do take your business seriously and I take my hat off to all your family for creating a beautiful and magical place we can't wait to be married here :)

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Barcoe77
Michael A, Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are very much looking forward to having you back at the castle and to making your wedding day special.
Launceston
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed for one night at Peckforton Castle in early June. Our experience was a very positive one. The hotel provides first class accommodation in a unique setting.

For the amateur photographer there are a multitude of great opportunities including the birds of prey on display and exploration of the castle and outbuildings.

While it is obviously now a hotel it still has enough castle character to provide that kind of unique experience in comfort.

Meals and service were good

Rooms were spacious, tastefully decorated and bed very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I'm very glad you found the Castle to be so unique and enjoyable. Hope to see you again.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in May in order to attend a wedding. As all the reviews say the venue itself is amazing and I can certainly see that as a wedding venue it is hard to beat.
As far as I am aware the wedding ran like clockwork and was very professionally done, if there were any hiccups along the way none of the guests would have been aware of them. The food for the wedding was very good, I am always impressed if somewhere manages to cater well on this scale.
The reasons for the title of my review are to do with our experiences away from the wedding, generally all little things, but when added up they affect the experience. I asked for a soda and lime in the bar the evening we arrived but they were out of lime, this was not an issue for me and I was happy to just have soda water, the problem was that no matter how much I insisted I would just have the soda, the bar staff insisted on getting lime juice, that would have been fine but I had to wait 20 minutes for them to get it!
At breakfast the next day we were met with a dirty cup and when we asked for a clean one there was no acknowledgement/apology, we also had no teaspoons and when they were requested they were just put on the table with no comment to us at all, a simple "here you are sir/madam" would have been at least polite. The breakfast was really disappointing and not up to the standard of the catering during the wedding.
After breakfast we returned to our room to get ready for the wedding, whilst doing so housekeeping tried to service the room at 11:00, the wedding was at 12:00 so most people were getting ready then. When we returned to our room late in the afternoon housekeeping had not been back. We complained to reception who told us that housekeeping had phoned our room at 14:00 but there was no reply so they didn't go back. We commented that surely the fact there was no reply and they knew we were at the wedding meant that they could have access to the room? This was met by silence and no apology, we had to ask for the tea and coffee to be replenished, when paying nearly £200 a night I expect far better service than this. We subsequently found out that several other guests had not had their rooms serviced either. I again commented on this at check out (where the hotel attempted to overcharge me by £40) and nobody was terribly interested, I would have pushed the matter harder but the brides parents were there at the time and I did not want to make them feel awkward or spoil their time. To add insult to injury I later found out that the other guests whose rooms had not been serviced had £30 refunded. When we were on our way to checkout and carrying bags/hat boxes etc a member of staff clearly saw us at the top of the stairs but made no offer of assistance or thanked us for waiting and letting him go first, I know it makes me sound old and grumpy but it was just rude.
Overall I would not return to stay here again but do commend their co-ordination of the wedding.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nicola P
Thank you for your review, which I am of course disappointed to receive. We value constructive feedback and I will be using your comments to demonstrate to the team, the importance of consistency in service delivery. I am glad that you enjoyed the wedding and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

What a wonderful place, they have some wonderful rooms, staff were absolutely lovely. The birds of prey are so well looked after. The rooms are spotless. The castle has a fantastic atmosphere a real medieval feel, The grounds are well cared for..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review. Come back and visit again soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for Thursday night. We booked for room, dinner, breakfast and a spa treatment.
The spa treatment (a his n hers 45 minute facial) was lovely. Very relaxing. The dinner was also nice, I have had better but it was ok. Why I have given this rating an average score is the room. It was tiny with tired, dated furniture. To get to the bathroom you had to open the door wide in order to manoeuvre past the wardrobe. The floorboards in and outside the room creaked like mad meaning I woke up every time anyone walked down the corridor. Having stayed in other 4 star hotels I feel this one came woefully short.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ainsy71
Thank you for your review. I was sorry to read that you felt the package you booked was not good value for money, due to the bedroom size. Due to the nature of the building, we do have bedrooms of varying shapes and sizes. On a positive note, I was glad to read that you enjoyed your treatments as well as your dining experience.
Torrevieja, Spain
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I booked a night in this hotel and it stated quite clearly that if cancelled before arrival date (I cancelled two weeks before) there would be no charge. However, they took £30.00 which is supposed to be for any extras during your stay. I asked for this money to be re-credited but they refused saying this is a deposit and is non-refundable!! I did explain that I was no longer visiting the area on the required date but it did not make any difference.

I will not be booking this hotel in the future.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank gennaSansepolcro
Michael A, Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
I'm sorry that you are unhappy with our policy. It is clearly explained at reservation stage, that the deposit we take is non-transferable and non-refundable.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Broxton
Nunsmere Hall Hotel
Nunsmere Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakmere

Been to Peckforton Castle? Share your experiences!