“Felt very welcome”

Peckforton Castle
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Felt very welcome”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here with my husband for a wedding we were attending. We arrived 4hrs before check in time, however the receptionist said they would let us know if our room was ready early. We went to the bar area, and soon after the receptionist came to see us with our room key. We were well looked after during the whole stay, nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The wedding went really well, the food was lovely and again the staff were available for anything you needed. The castle is beautiful, it has lovely grounds and I wish I could've stayed longer to explore! It is not a cheap place to stay, however if you are looking for somewhere special as a treat then this would be perfect.

Room Tip: There are no lifts to some of the rooms, and lots of stairs! You should specify when booking if you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael A, Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Good to read you had such a lovely time and that my team surpassd themselves with their attentive service. Thanks for your review and see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Alsager, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We got married here in April and the day was amazing as you will see in my previous review.
We since returned for a meal in the restaurant an extension to our Honeymoon which we had only returned from the day before. All I will say is this was the worst steak I have ever eaten, I ordered the Sirloin as I find it to be a little more flavoursome than Fillet, what a mistake I ordered it rare and it came medium to well done and was the worst cut of steak I have ever eaten I think Briskett would not have been this tough. I did not complain and give them a second chance to replace the steak as in my opinion a double rosette restaurant should need a second chance. My wifes a vegetarian and commented on how hers had little flavour. I did notice that a wedding was on so my only thought is that the head chef was catering for this. Me and my wife were considering a return for our first anniversary but are now having second thoughts.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael A, Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your steak, but I am confident that had you given us the opportunity on the evening, we would have recified the problem very quickly.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2012

my partner and i recently used a groupon voucher to experience flying the hawks and feeding the animals afternoon.
Mitch the falconary expert guided us thru the afternoon and gave us lots of information.
He was very informative and entuiastic and we really enjoyed learning how to handle the hawks and the golden eagle.We fed the racoon and nothing was too much trouble for Mitch as he explained everything in great detail.
I bought the voucher as a last minute deal and this was fantastic value and we both enjoyed every minute.We will both book another session very soon.
thanks mitch, we loved the birds!!!!!
zita and mac

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed your meet the animals experience. Mitch is so passionate about the animals and a real asset to our team, I will ensure he sees your review. Hope to see you again soon.
nottingham
Reviewed November 24, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Peckforton Castle as a birthday celebration, and personally found the stay very memorable.

The castle is spectacular on approach, and the charm of the rooms, corridors and cellar bar is one that fans of the medieval should certainly enjoy.

We stayed in a four poster suite which was grandly dressed with luxurious red velvet curtains and throne seating.

We personally loved getting lost in the castle - it added to the experience.

Our stay coincided with (rare) beautiful weather in the UK and we enjoyed wine in the gardens surrounded by peacocks.

The meal we had in the restaurant was also very enjoyable.

My only disappointment was that there weren't beautiful grounds to walk around.

Room Tip: As a special occasion its worth pushing the boat out and have a four poster room for the whole exper...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a reveiw. I'm glad you found the Castle to be an enjoyable break away, we hope to see you again soon.
Cheshire, England
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We have just returned from a 1 night stay to celebrate our anniversary. There is no doubt that Peckforton Castle is a really stunning venue, but I was so disappointed that the little touches and service that really make a place special was so lacking.

Upon arrival, the first thing that greats you is a whole bunch of beautiful birds of prey (I presume these are used for a falconry experience) tethered to perches by their feet. I found it a really distressing sight, as I imagine many others would too. We stayed in the 'Bentley' suite, which had a gorgeous 4 poster bed. The room was lovely and beautifully decorated, but it was small for a suite. My biggest disappointed was dinner. The castle has many gorgeous rooms with high ceilings and windows, but the restaurant is in a small, unimpressive room, with low ceilings and is strangely decorated. It is not the grand, opulent affair that you imagine it will be. The menu promised a great deal, but in reality the food was really average. After dinner we decided to take our drinks down to reception to sit by the fire and were treated to a loud conversation by 3 members of staff about a recent night out. It's just not what you expect in this type of venue.

Breakfast was equally disappointing. I asked for 2 runny poached eggs on toast and got 1 hard egg on toast. The spa however was fantastic. We both had 2 amazing treatments that were expertly and professionally delivered by 2 lovely girls. I would definitely recommend the spa as it was a real highlight.

I think I feel a bit disappointed because the venue is so amazing. If the current owners could complement the venue with some proper 5* service then it would be a truly wonderful place to stay. But as it stands, it just doesn't do enough to make guests feel special. A 10.30am check out (which is the earliest I have ever known at any hotel worldwide) is just one example of how the hotel runs at its own convenience, rather than goes out of it's way to provide a truly memorable experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for being constructive with your comments. I will certainly be using these to assist us in further developing our team. We are always striving toward achieving a 5 star level of service, whilst ensuring our team remain friendly and helpful at all times.
West Timperley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just back from a weekend celebration with 12 Girls, I have tried to find fault with the weekend but can't . Everything from the roll top bath with Thierry Mugler soaps and lotions ! (and the heated mirror in the bathroom so that it does not steam up !) to the most luxurious princess and the pea bed ! i felt like i was lying on a marshmallow so comfy and i am 5ft 8" and had to get on tip toe to sit on the bed . The food in the both restaurants was amazing and the service too. We had treatments in the salon which were fabulous followed by the most mouthwatering afternoon tea which had the tastiest ham and mustard, cream cheese and cucumber and smoked salmon , individual bannofee tart, lemon meringue pie then scones with jam and clotted cream, well worth a look round the grounds then spoil yourself with this after. The staff were very professional, and we had a tour round the castle by a porter who obviously loved his job and we enjoyed hearing all he had to say about this magnificent castle . The perfect place to stay with a loved one for a romantic getaway, amazing to have your wedding here there was one while we were there and it looked so beautiful . You can do falconry experiences and also the place to go off road in a landrover . Can't rate this high enough! 5*****'s !!

1 Thank Kate J
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Me and my Partner attended a wedding at Peckforton Castle and had a double room booked as we had planned to stay over in advance. Upon approaching the castle just from the A-Road 5 minutes away, you can see the castle standing proud up on a hill surrounded by trees. Once you have reached the castle grounds you are allowed in via an automatic barrier and then have a couple of minutes drive up a single track road, but be warned this is a two way traffic road!

After the short drive uphill, you are met with a large arch way to which you drive through towards the reception. Once parking up outside reception I checked in and I handed over my keys to a member of staff who valet parked my car for me, after he had helped with the luggage.

The grounds of the castle are beyond beautiful and have to be experienced in a first person perspective to truly appreciate, especially the breeds of birds that are kept on the grounds at Peckforton.

The inside of the castle has been wonderfully kept to its century's tradition and its extremely clean throughout.

We stayed in a double room 306, which was a little hard to find after 'x' amount of alcoholic drinks, but non the less the room was very spectacular. The decor is very tasteful throughout and again has been kept to a traditional style, apart from the large flat screen television and iPhone docking station to charge and play your music.

The staff were overwhelmingly helpful, polite and very well presented and constantly going above and beyond to help their guests.

After our stay we also had breakfast in the morning, this was a full continental buffet style breakfast. The food was of very high quality and cooked beautifully served with fresh coffee.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your extensive review. You clearly enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I was especially pleased to read your comments on the team and how friendly and helpful they were. We hope to be able to welcome you back to peckforton Castle again very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa

Been to Peckforton Castle? Share your experiences!