“FEED THE ANIMALS EXPERIENCE” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Peckforton Castle

Peckforton Castle
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“FEED THE ANIMALS EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

my partner and i recently used a groupon voucher to experience flying the hawks and feeding the animals afternoon.
Mitch the falconary expert guided us thru the afternoon and gave us lots of information.
He was very informative and entuiastic and we really enjoyed learning how to handle the hawks and the golden eagle.We fed the racoon and nothing was too much trouble for Mitch as he explained everything in great detail.
I bought the voucher as a last minute deal and this was fantastic value and we both enjoyed every minute.We will both book another session very soon.
thanks mitch, we loved the birds!!!!!
zita and mac

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael A, Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed your meet the animals experience. Mitch is so passionate about the animals and a real asset to our team, I will ensure he sees your review. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Peckforton Castle as a birthday celebration, and personally found the stay very memorable.

The castle is spectacular on approach, and the charm of the rooms, corridors and cellar bar is one that fans of the medieval should certainly enjoy.

We stayed in a four poster suite which was grandly dressed with luxurious red velvet curtains and throne seating.

We personally loved getting lost in the castle - it added to the experience.

Our stay coincided with (rare) beautiful weather in the UK and we enjoyed wine in the gardens surrounded by peacocks.

The meal we had in the restaurant was also very enjoyable.

My only disappointment was that there weren't beautiful grounds to walk around.

Room Tip: As a special occasion its worth pushing the boat out and have a four poster room for the whole exper...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a reveiw. I'm glad you found the Castle to be an enjoyable break away, we hope to see you again soon.
Cheshire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

We have just returned from a 1 night stay to celebrate our anniversary. There is no doubt that Peckforton Castle is a really stunning venue, but I was so disappointed that the little touches and service that really make a place special was so lacking.

Upon arrival, the first thing that greats you is a whole bunch of beautiful birds of prey (I presume these are used for a falconry experience) tethered to perches by their feet. I found it a really distressing sight, as I imagine many others would too. We stayed in the 'Bentley' suite, which had a gorgeous 4 poster bed. The room was lovely and beautifully decorated, but it was small for a suite. My biggest disappointed was dinner. The castle has many gorgeous rooms with high ceilings and windows, but the restaurant is in a small, unimpressive room, with low ceilings and is strangely decorated. It is not the grand, opulent affair that you imagine it will be. The menu promised a great deal, but in reality the food was really average. After dinner we decided to take our drinks down to reception to sit by the fire and were treated to a loud conversation by 3 members of staff about a recent night out. It's just not what you expect in this type of venue.

Breakfast was equally disappointing. I asked for 2 runny poached eggs on toast and got 1 hard egg on toast. The spa however was fantastic. We both had 2 amazing treatments that were expertly and professionally delivered by 2 lovely girls. I would definitely recommend the spa as it was a real highlight.

I think I feel a bit disappointed because the venue is so amazing. If the current owners could complement the venue with some proper 5* service then it would be a truly wonderful place to stay. But as it stands, it just doesn't do enough to make guests feel special. A 10.30am check out (which is the earliest I have ever known at any hotel worldwide) is just one example of how the hotel runs at its own convenience, rather than goes out of it's way to provide a truly memorable experience.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Michael A, Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for being constructive with your comments. I will certainly be using these to assist us in further developing our team. We are always striving toward achieving a 5 star level of service, whilst ensuring our team remain friendly and helpful at all times.
West Timperley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just back from a weekend celebration with 12 Girls, I have tried to find fault with the weekend but can't . Everything from the roll top bath with Thierry Mugler soaps and lotions ! (and the heated mirror in the bathroom so that it does not steam up !) to the most luxurious princess and the pea bed ! i felt like i was lying on a marshmallow so comfy and i am 5ft 8" and had to get on tip toe to sit on the bed . The food in the both restaurants was amazing and the service too. We had treatments in the salon which were fabulous followed by the most mouthwatering afternoon tea which had the tastiest ham and mustard, cream cheese and cucumber and smoked salmon , individual bannofee tart, lemon meringue pie then scones with jam and clotted cream, well worth a look round the grounds then spoil yourself with this after. The staff were very professional, and we had a tour round the castle by a porter who obviously loved his job and we enjoyed hearing all he had to say about this magnificent castle . The perfect place to stay with a loved one for a romantic getaway, amazing to have your wedding here there was one while we were there and it looked so beautiful . You can do falconry experiences and also the place to go off road in a landrover . Can't rate this high enough! 5*****'s !!

1 Thank Kate J
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Me and my Partner attended a wedding at Peckforton Castle and had a double room booked as we had planned to stay over in advance. Upon approaching the castle just from the A-Road 5 minutes away, you can see the castle standing proud up on a hill surrounded by trees. Once you have reached the castle grounds you are allowed in via an automatic barrier and then have a couple of minutes drive up a single track road, but be warned this is a two way traffic road!

After the short drive uphill, you are met with a large arch way to which you drive through towards the reception. Once parking up outside reception I checked in and I handed over my keys to a member of staff who valet parked my car for me, after he had helped with the luggage.

The grounds of the castle are beyond beautiful and have to be experienced in a first person perspective to truly appreciate, especially the breeds of birds that are kept on the grounds at Peckforton.

The inside of the castle has been wonderfully kept to its century's tradition and its extremely clean throughout.

We stayed in a double room 306, which was a little hard to find after 'x' amount of alcoholic drinks, but non the less the room was very spectacular. The decor is very tasteful throughout and again has been kept to a traditional style, apart from the large flat screen television and iPhone docking station to charge and play your music.

The staff were overwhelmingly helpful, polite and very well presented and constantly going above and beyond to help their guests.

After our stay we also had breakfast in the morning, this was a full continental buffet style breakfast. The food was of very high quality and cooked beautifully served with fresh coffee.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your extensive review. You clearly enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I was especially pleased to read your comments on the team and how friendly and helpful they were. We hope to be able to welcome you back to peckforton Castle again very soon.
Wigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

After visiting Peckforton Castle on 10/11/12 we were extremely dissatisfied with our stay. What was supposed to have been a relaxing weekend break turned into a nightmare

The staff at the Brasserie appeared poorly trained as we were served the wrong drinks.

The staff at spa the also appeared poorly trained. Whilst receiving a 20 minute treatment I was horrified when the beauty consultant proceeded to put a red hot towel over my face causing me to nearly pass out as I could not breath! Also they were more interested in selling the products rather than asking how I was!

The food in the main restaurant was disgusting, a boiled egg with bread cut into fingers arrived for starters. This was vile, it looked like a pile of snot on a spoon, cold and under cooked! Our main courses were of poor quality, bite size portions just warm!

Unfortunately we stayed when a wedding was on in room 202 and the noise was horrendous! It went on and on and on what sounded like football hooligans. We did ring reception and complained about the noise and the receptionist told us that we should have been informed and to expect noise. We were not informed! At midnight it went quiet for a 10 minutes, then the party was moved into the wine cellar which was almost as bad! As we were falling to sleep we were woken by the noise of the vacuum cleaner and people moving furniture around and shouting on top form at 01.40. As we had already had a few glasses of champagne we had no option to stay! Eventually the noise did stop at 03.30 and we managed to get some rest until approximately 0815 when the noise started again bang, bang banging. I have stayed in some hotels all over the world and find the whole experience very disrespectful and very distressing.

4 Thank sensei3431
Michael A, Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Further to our email communications, I would like to say again that I believe my team acted as they have been trained and that your comments are not a true reflection of the experience we provide.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

It has to be said, the Hotel itself is an impressive sight. Set in a wonderful location in the middle of countryside. However......

Our room was, at best, a generous single (107) and yes, yes, I know, 'It wasn't designed to be a hotel, therefore all the rooms are odd sizes, adds to the charm' etc etc. The fact remains that it is a very small double room, albeit en-suite. We slept well enough for all that though.

Anyway. We were celebrating our anniversary somewhere 'special' or so we thought.
Dinner was part of the booking and we knew that to select something from the 'A La Carte' would be extra.

We started with the 'parfait' This was laughable as a portion. I kid you not, it was a one inch by a half inch by 5mm piece of pate served with (count them) TWO slivers of 2inch X 1/2 inch pieces of toast (not bruschetta as advertised) this was accompanied by a teaspoon of caramelised onion and a smear of sauce.

We had a quiet chuckle about it but let it go. Then we both ordered from the A La Carte menu for our main. I ordered the 'Surf and Turf' and my wife ordered the 'Ribeye'

The 'Surf and turf' is described thus:

'Our own combination of grilled fillet with lobster tail, and Scottish scallops. Served with grilled mushroom, roasted tomato, twice cooked chips, onion rings and watercress'

Now bear in mind that on top of what we had already paid for our meal, this would be an extra £8 (selecting from the A la Carte menu) and a further £5.50 supplement, because that's what is says on the menu! So, £13.50 more then. Ok, I can read, I knew all of this when I ordered.

What arrived was a let down, to say the least. A piece of dry, cold fillet, no more that 2inches in diameter, 1 small tomato, 2 slices of onion ring (overcooked) a small lobster tail (cold) 1 mushroom (yes, one mushroom) and, in spite of the menu saying 'Scallops', plural!! I got 2 slices of scallop, that is to say, a scallop sliced across to make it look more.

We both received a miniature chip basket which held our chips. The chips 'Twice Cooked' were an assortment of sizes ranging from the scraps of the potato to half sized chips. They were awful! They were like reheated frozen chips.

I had asked if any garlic based dishes were available and was offered a 'Garlic Jus' to go with my food. Garlic Jus? Somebody needs to look up the definition of what a jus really is!
I asked if the scallops might be cooked in garlic butter instead and was assured that this would be 'No problem' clearly it was a problem as this never happened.

My wife ordered the Ribeye and she declared it to be the toughest (small) piece of steak that she had ever had.

When the waitress came to ask if everything was ok, I told her that we were under whelmed by the food, and explained why. She disappeared only to be replaced by what turned out to be the Assistant Restaurant Manager. We went through the complaints and she looked at us with astonishment and said 'Well no one has complained' I asked her if this meant that we were wrong, or maybe even telling lies.

I asked her what was meant by 'Twice cooked' chips and she told me that they are "Cooked and left to rest" There’s no such thing as twice cooked chips that need to rest! Chips can be blanched, that is, 'cooked without colour' until service at which time the cooking is completed in very hot oil and results in crispy brown, fluffy chips. Not the disgrace of potato bits that we were served.

I asked why they gave a steak knife with fillet and she replied that 'The inspector said we had to give steak knives with steak' I then suggested that they were doing things to please the AA inspector rather than the customer, which sounds like it might be the case!

I'd made my point, pointed out the shortcomings of the meal and assured her that we were not after money off, or a freebie of some description. By now, had I been the Head Chef, I would have been out of the kitchen to see who was bad mouthing my 2 AA rosette award food with no good reason. Needless to say, no one came, no duty manager was summoned, she just disappeared into the kitchen.

The Restaurant Manager reappeared and I asked her to do two things for me. We were seated at a 'booth' type table with a half round seat bench. I stood up and asked her to sit where I had been sitting. I asked her to feel with her fingers on the edge of the dessert dish ( A huge thing, in contrast to the portion sizes) Before she did this she said to me 'He polished the dish, I saw him do it'

I told her that I had just cleaned that area of the dish with water and my serviette and that area was now smooth. She ran her fingers around the rest of the dish and felt the dried particles on there, probably the result of sloppy dish washing. I asked her if she was happy with that and she said 'No'

I then asked her to put her hand down the back of the seat, anywhere she liked, where she found, as I had, the dried and hardened breadcrumbs of a thousand diners. I asked her if she was happy with this, and she said 'No'

The standards in this restaurant are poor, to say the least. Just because people don't complain doesn't mean you can get complacent and as for the food quality, well I would be ashamed to serve food of such a low standard. Maybe it's time that the AA revisited or reviewed their Rosette awards as to how, and why, they award them.

I've no doubt the Manager will reply and give one excuse or another, or say that he welcomes feedback, but the long and short of it is that everything about this place is letting the building itself down badly.

Book if you must, but don't say you haven't been warned. You can do a lot better for your money elsewhere.

Breakfast was fine, but no better a standard than a decent B&B.

1 Thank TonyManc60
Thank you for your extensive review. Should you wish to discuss your comments any further please do not hesitate to contact me directly on 01829 260930.

Michael Auld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Wild Boar Hotel
#3 of 5 in Tarporley
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,125 reviews
Doubletree by Hilton Chester

Been to Peckforton Castle? Share your experiences!