“Very nice”

Peckforton Castle
Westhoughton, United Kingdom
“Very nice”
Reviewed April 14, 2011

My husband and I went for lunch on Mothers Day as originally booked with my mum but she was unable to go due to an injury. We also went for Mother's Day in 2010. I enjoyed the mussels for starters and the desert. Disappointed with the main meal. I had lamb last year and it was gorgeous and I thought I would have that again I did but it didn't melt in your mouth like last year plus the vegetables were almost raw. I like my vegetables to be well cooked especially carrots. The glass of bubbly we had was really nice. It is a very nice place and worth visiting.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed most of your meal, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2011

We booked this dream castle for our Silver Wedding anniversary, and the experience was way beyond our wildest dreams. The grade 1 listed building has 21st century accomodation, very polite friendly and helpful staff. The food is of exceptional quality and standard, we would have no hesistation in recommending this castle, and we will definitley be returning in the near future.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Beeston room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Thank you for your kind words. We are so glad you enjoyed your time at the Castle and we look forward to seeing you again soon to exceed your expectations even more.
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2011

We enjoyed our break and the meals though the staff in the bar were not very welcoming and lacking in training. The meals in the evening were better than we anticipated and the Irish girl particularly helpful. The room was reasonable but noisy as the kitchen was above it. It was however good value for money .

Room Tip: It was near Chester
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank julie5454
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Three of us stayed for a birthday treat in March 2011. We had an executive room - it was the nicest hotel room I have ever stayed in. The staff were helpful and nothing was too much trouble. I had booked for us all to have two beauty treatments in the Therapy Site, and the facials were to die for - very relaxing. The evning meal was absolutely perfect - the chef had made an extra special effort for me as i had requested a vegetarian option with no goats cheese, so he conjured up a delicious wild truffle linguine. The head of the restaurant was most helpful - an Irish girl - can't remember her name. She even remembered I needed vegetarian sausages for breakfast so had pre-ordered them for me.
I would recommend this hotel. The newly decorated executive rooms are the nicest, though.

Room Tip: Red letter days have some discount offers
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2011

My partner and I stayed one night for our anniversary, my first impression was that if you didn't have a suit on then you won't be treated the same. The room was basic and very noisy,we treated ourselves to dinner that night and had to wait for our dinner because as one of the waiters told us they had a larger party to cater for! I spoke with the head waiter who wasnt at all apologetic. We waited for nearly an hour for our main meal and as my partner was 5 months pregnant I wasn't very happy at all and went to see the duty manager. He didn't seem to know how to handle a complaint and his customer service skills left alot to be desired. My partners meal was delivered to the room but at this point she was in tears. I have sent an email of complaint but I dont think I will get a reply

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank neely692000
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We welcome all constructive criticism but am sorry to hear your visit wasn’t entirely satisfactory. Our Hotel Manager contacts all unhappy customers direct and will be in touch shortly. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castle soon when we can demonstrate how we have improved.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Spent a night at the castle. Lovely location but shame about the room. Very noisy during the night - don't expect much sleep - and NO HOT WATER mid shower the next moring which meant breakfast was ruined and left with a chill and shampoo still in my hair. Receptionist seemed to think this was completely normal.Called about this afterwards when feeling better after the chill. Hotel manager could not be bothered to call me back about it despite the fact I had been told he would call then next day. When I finally tracked him down weeks later, he seemed to think that it was all OK as only certain rooms had this problem and they were gradually dealing with it. He had a very off hand attitude bordering on the rude. Also had the impression that staff on the Saturday eveing we were there were very young and inexperienced. For an expensive hotel felt they were economising on the staff which gave it quite a slipshod air.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kassioun
Thank you for your feedback. We welcome all constructive criticism but am sorry to hear your visit wasn’t entirely satisfactory. We ensure our Hotel Manager contacts all unhappy customers directly, the delay was due to a period of well earned annual leave. If you feel your complaints have still not been resolved please contact the Hotel Manager on 01829 260930 to ensure your feedback is reviewed thoroughly with all concerned and we can learn from our mistakes. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castle soon when we can demonstrate how we have improved.
Wales
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Stayed on the dinner,bed and breakfast offer of £135, first impressions of the hotel are stunning! The room was ok, however it didnt look like those on the website! The bathroom was old fasioned, but it was clean and so was the rest of the room. Just think the room/furnishings could be updated a bit. The dinner in the restaurant was gorgeous, just the right portion sizes and great service. The Brasserie was also very nice.

The room was quite noisy at night, think someone was emptying bottles into a bin!

Breakfast was lovely, however the yoghuts were passed their use by date. But these were changed quickly when brought to staffs attention.

I would definately return again!!!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Dooney87
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Broxton
Nunsmere Hall Hotel
Nunsmere Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakmere

Been to Peckforton Castle? Share your experiences!