The drive up to the imposing sight at the top is awesome and the birds of prey that greet you on arrival are again awesome but the rest of our night away just didn't live up to how it started.
I found the rooms to be very small and the bathroom sorry shower room, as there wasn't a bath, tiny. The rooms were also in need of a good dusting. No hangers in the wardrobes, which were full of dust - not nice. Double bed - small. The room was a good hike away from the "main areas", Bar, Restaraunt, Brasserie up an endless amount of stone stairs. I have some mobility problems and it was a real struggle to get around, especially up and down those stairs/steps.
We had booked DBB and we cannot fault the Table de Hote menu. The A La Carte carried a £5-00 supplement for one course and £12-00 for two. The food and service for dinner was exceptional. Breakfast was served buffet style and the hot foods were limited to Bacon, Sausage, Eggs etc. there were plenty of fruits and cereals to choosed from as well as fruit juices. The sausages were great btw!
This could have been soooo much better but little things let it down. It didn't distract from it being in a wonderful quiet peaceful location and I can imagine in Spring and Summer for it to be spectacular. A little more and it would be awesome.
Strangely a 4x4 adventure takes up what could be a useful and closer car park inside the walls of the castle, but guests' cars are kept outside of the walls, and although there is valet parking it seems a bit poor not to allow guests to park there.
We got a great deal for my wife and I as a treat after me being away working for 3 weeks.
I may drive the 40 odd miles to eat at the restaraunt again but not to stay, sadly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Peckforton Castle - An enchanting Hotel in the heart of Cheshire. Rising majestically above the Cheshire landscape, the castle is both enigmatic and enchanting. Originally the home of Lord Tollemache and built in the early 19th Century, this Grade I listed building is the only intact medieval style Castle in the country. Over the years the castle has been the location for numerous movies including Robin Hood and Dr Who. Now owned by the Naylor family, the stunning exterior has been complemented by a loving and considered restoration programme resulting in a magnificent hotel and venue offering contemporary luxury and impeccable service. Services include 48 stunning individual guest rooms, conference, events, and wedding facilities for up to 180. Tranquility beauty, on site Falconry and team activities all adding up to a rather magical experience. Dining at the Castle truly is a special occasion, welcoming the public as well as hotel guests. The 1851 Restaurant offers a dining experience fit for royalty. Holder of 3 AA Rosettes and a Taste Cheshire Award. Alternatively the more informal and cosmopolitan 2010 Brasserie, located in the former scullery of the castle, features many of the amazing features of the original scullery including two cast iron cooking ranges dating back to the 1840's. Peckforton Castle's enchanting medieval style beauty and stunning location make it a truly impressive and desirable venue for weddings, christenings, birthday parties, or just about anything that's worth celebrating. Everything plays a part; the fabulous setting, stunning location, the attentive service and smiling faces, the bespoke menus and decorations. A magnificent venue for conferencing and meetings. Within the medieval walls, old and new combine seamlessly to offer state of the art multi media and conference facilities. Captivating on arrival, Peckforton Castle's unspoilt, natural beauty will stimulate and motivate, delight the eye, inspire the mind, tantalise the taste buds and leave you enchanted. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, HRS, Cheap Tickets, LateRooms and HotelQuickly so you can book your Peckforton Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peckforton Castle Hotel Tarporley
- Peckforton Castle Tarporley, Cheshire, UK