“A bit let down”

Peckforton Castle
Lancashire
“A bit let down”
Reviewed March 18, 2011

The drive up to the imposing sight at the top is awesome and the birds of prey that greet you on arrival are again awesome but the rest of our night away just didn't live up to how it started.
I found the rooms to be very small and the bathroom sorry shower room, as there wasn't a bath, tiny. The rooms were also in need of a good dusting. No hangers in the wardrobes, which were full of dust - not nice. Double bed - small. The room was a good hike away from the "main areas", Bar, Restaraunt, Brasserie up an endless amount of stone stairs. I have some mobility problems and it was a real struggle to get around, especially up and down those stairs/steps.
We had booked DBB and we cannot fault the Table de Hote menu. The A La Carte carried a £5-00 supplement for one course and £12-00 for two. The food and service for dinner was exceptional. Breakfast was served buffet style and the hot foods were limited to Bacon, Sausage, Eggs etc. there were plenty of fruits and cereals to choosed from as well as fruit juices. The sausages were great btw!
This could have been soooo much better but little things let it down. It didn't distract from it being in a wonderful quiet peaceful location and I can imagine in Spring and Summer for it to be spectacular. A little more and it would be awesome.
Strangely a 4x4 adventure takes up what could be a useful and closer car park inside the walls of the castle, but guests' cars are kept outside of the walls, and although there is valet parking it seems a bit poor not to allow guests to park there.
We got a great deal for my wife and I as a treat after me being away working for 3 weeks.
I may drive the 40 odd miles to eat at the restaraunt again but not to stay, sadly.

1 Thank marko1878
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We welcome all feedback as it helps us improve. Unfortunately due to being a Grade 1 Listed building there are not many alterations we can do to the stairs and layout of bedrooms. We have taken all your remarks on board, however, and hope to implement the changes necessary.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2011

My bf and I stayed at Peckforton Castle from 13th to 15th March 2011, and had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. The hotel itself is magical, and the owners have clearly tried their best to combine modern luxury and comfort with an authentic castle experience.

I called a couple of days before arrival to confirm our stay and was offered a complimentary upgrade to an executive room. The room was stunning with a huge, and very comfy bed plus a gorgeous roll top bath (with sky light above!).

The staff generally couldnt do enough for us during the stay, they even sourced a couple of mountain bikes so that we could enjoy the surrounding area. Every staff member appeared happy to help, and nothing seemed too much trouble. In particular Heather on reception, and the Irish lady working in the 1851 restaurant were really pleasant.

We ate in both the 1851 restaurant and the brasserie, and felt that the portion sizes were a little on the small size in the brasserie (we expected small in the restaurant... it being fine dining!). The bar food was really tasty but I could probably have eaten double the amount.

I felt the a la carte menu in 1851 was a bit of a let-down, I had pork from the grill which sounded amazing on the menu - marinated in cider etc etc - but tasted like something I could have cooked myself. I also didnt get the amuse bouche as stated on the menu, whilst everyone else in at the same time did. I wondered if this was because my bf had order from the cheaper menu?! Our side order of buttered carrots and beans came without the beans, and the carrots didnt appear very buttery!! The liquid chocolate cake made up for the above, and since I eat out at a lot of good places it could be that I had set the bar too high given the stunning location...

Partner ate from the the cheaper menu, and his slow cooked chicken was really tasty, I ended up with food envy. I forget what he had for dessert, but it was pretty good too.

Breakfast on both days was fab. On our 1st day we went in pretty late, but fresh food was brought out. All the ingredients were good quality.

In all i would say there's room for improvement in the 1851 but I would highly recommend the castle as a romantic getaway, particularly during the week as we enjoyed the quiet and peaceful feel.

1 Thank MelRoot
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Booked this as an anniversary trip for me and my partner as seemed really romantic and unusual hotel. Asked for the Chester Zoo package as it said it included two tickets and after being initially quote £100, my confirmation letter then came through and said £80. The check in sheet also quoted £80, concurring with the confirmation sheet, so this is the price I then expected,on checkout however, it was £80 for the room and an extra £20 for the Chester Zoo tickets which I felt was a little underhand that this hadn't been put on the confirmation letter or even on the check in sheet.

On arrival, it really is a beautiful place and very striking, the hotel is nicely presented and the staff very friendly. The Birds of Prey are outside to see and there are lots of peacocks in the grounds which look fantastic.

I'm not a "carrot gel" or "frothy beef" kind of girl so decided not to eat in the 1851 restaurant, we ate in the brasserie which was really nice overall, although the caesar salad was more just lettuce in thick garlic mayonnaise which was a little disappointing. Comparable prices to any restaurant/pub though which was good.

The bedroom was not that impressive unfortunately, and as someone mentioned previously every floor board in and out the room creaks so you know when anyone is moving outside or inside the room! Granted though it is a very old place so this kind of thing should be expected. The toilet has one of those macerators which just ended up being worryingly noisy as if you run any water or drain the bath it continually sets it off! Not a relaxing bath in the end! The bed was really small, although this might be just of the perspective of two people around the 6 ft mark! Bed wasn't comfy and the linen was so bobbly it gave an indication to exactly how long it had been around.

Breakfast also was not what I expected, juice had run out, as had the glasses and some of the fruit, although it wasn't the greatest selection I had ever seen. The flowers on the table were also severely wilting which just gives a real uncared for appearance.

Overall, it is an interesting place to see, and very different, but as a hotel I felt it was sadly lacking in care and the small details that make these hotel experiences just that bit more special.

1 Thank Sunny_Tigs
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We welcome all feedback as it helps us improve. We have taken your remarks on board regarding your bedroom, linen and breakfast and hope to implement the changes necessary.
Cheshire
Reviewed March 5, 2011

This is a review of one of the hotel's Medieval Banquet evenings, which I attended last night.

Maybe I was wrong in expeccting / hoping for an 'authentic' medieval experience - but rightly or wrongly I went anticipating serving wenches, madrigal musicians, meat carved from huge joints of meat over crackling fires, maybe some men in suits of armour, perhaps a little jousting.......... but to save others from confusion this is what you get:

1) pre dinner drinks in the wine cellar with one guy behind the bar resulting in lengthy waits to get served.
2) Cramped dormitory tables for the meal
3) Medieval background music on CD
4) Very very poor meal, served by waiting staff in normal modern dress, comprising pre plated vegetable soup followed by roast chicken & veg (Medieval pureed carrots?) and bread and butter pudding - no choice or medieval theming - amounting to a meal that could be bettered by any local carvery.
5) One single jester in a very tired jester outfit who was, to be honest, rubbish - examples of his act including catching grapes thrown by diners in his mouth and balancing long peacock feathers on his hand (wow). Unicycling was promised but I can't comment on that due to giving up and leaving before the end.

All in all a hugely disappointing evening and nowhere near worth the £40 per head charged.

AVOID

5 Thank mfokinth
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, March 18, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We welcome all constructive criticism but am sorry to hear your visit wasn’t entirely satisfactory. Please contact the Hotel Manager on 01829 260930 to ensure your feedback is reviewed thoroughly with all concerned and we can learn from our mistakes. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castle soon when we can demonstrate how we have improved.
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We stayed for two nights in this fantastic castle 23rd-25th February, and we had the most fantastic time. We were after a relaxing break, and were accompanied by our 6 month old baby, and the hotel and restaurant could not be more accomodating.

The hotel is a beautiful castle, but with a modern feel, and certainly far warmer than you would expect for a stone building.

Service was excellent, we were thrilled when arriving at the hotel, they offered to pick our car up from the car park and drive it to reception, help unload and transport all the bags etc to our room, and then drive the car back to the car park. The only downside was that the room was located in the rear of the hotel, and up several flights of stairs, so not buggy friendly (although they were happy to look after the buggy at reception).

The restaurant (called 1851) is the jewel in the Hotel's crown, the two menu's are extremely good value (fixed price - £20/two course and £25/three course), and their A la carte menu/fine dining a snip at £30/two course and £37/three course. Wine was also very competitive, and we were ably assisted by the Restaurant manager who knew the wines and menu well, and offered informed suggestions as to the best wine. We tried both menu's, and thoroughly enjoyed them both, the fixed price featured tasty meals and good portions (especially the pork cutlet), and the a la carte featured smaller but ultimately tastier fayre.

We had a good look round the castle, and were very impressed as a wedding venue, the great hall hosting weddings on both days, and each had an individual look and feel.

Rooms were large, with very high ceilings, and great views. Bathroom was clean and functional. Bed was comfortable, but was made from two individual halves, so you could feel where they were joined together. The rooms were also very warm, with the main heat coming from a wall mounted electric heater, as the main stone fireplace was only for decoration. Tea and coffee (and importantly a decent kettle for bottle making) were supplied. What more could you want?

Breakfast was excellent, but they do warn of quiet/busy times with a traffic light system (in reception), where we sat down immediately at 8.30am, but the next day at 9.30, we had to wait for 10 minutes to be seated.

As a venue, this would suit a romantic getaway, or as a family getaway (all the kids looked thrilled to be in a castle, some had their own swords). Truly magical. Thoroughly recommended.

One final note, this venue is currently listed on Red Letter Days as a two night boutique stay in Peckforton Castle for £290, and is currently on sale at 30% off, we paid £192 for two nights, which is fantastic value.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
, Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2011

The setting was great the staff were very helpful and accomodating with two very busy young boys. The room was comfortable we were located on the ground floor so location for access to the rest of the hotel was very good.
we stopped two nights and ate in the 1851 restaurant first night food, was good and a good choice kids menu. Only one small niggle was service was a little slow and forgetfull at times.
second night we ate in the Brassier again food and choice was good, service was excellent.

There was a wedding on the second night but you wouldn't have known, we experienced no noise and only new it was going on when we saw some guests poising for pictures.

We will go back it is great location for Cheter zoo and other attractions

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
wrexham, north wales
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We went to a wedding reception in december 2010 at the castle. I was very excited to go as i'd heard fantastic reviews from friends and work colleagues.
The drive up to the castle was impressive with wonderful views. The downstairs interior didn't let us down either, it was beautiful.
After checking in we went up to our room to unpack. The room was such a let down and the pokey bathroom was very basic i'd say the room and bathroom would be more of a 3 star standard than 5 star. I stay in a lot of hotels as i work as cabin crew so i know what to expect and i felt let down.
The wedding breakfast was lovely, we found the service friendly and the quality of the food to be of a high standard considering they were catering on a large scale.
We went back to our room to freshen up, we had left the storage heater on in our room since we'd left but the room still had a chill, now i understand it would be hard heating a castle but our room was quite small. The worse part was having a shower, the water would go from scolding hot to freezing cold and it was a case of jumping in and out of the shower, again not what you would expect for the price we paid for the room.
Breakfast the following morning was lovely, with excellent quality ingredients and again the service was good. Check out was easy enough too and the concierge brought our car to outside the reception.
It really depends on what you think is important to how you rate this hotel, the setting, public areas, food and service were fantastic, but i enjoy spending time in my room, which sadly didn't live up to my expectations, thank god we had got a wedding to keep us busy and out of our room for our stay. Reading the reviews it does sound like its pot luck on what sort of room you get and i would stay again as long as we had one of the updated rooms.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Peckforton Castle, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We welcome all feedback as it helps us improve. We have taken your remarks on board and hope to implement the changes necessary.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
The Swan Tarporley
The Swan Tarporley
#2 of 4 in Tarporley
Doubletree by Hilton Chester

Been to Peckforton Castle? Share your experiences!