We were really unpleasantly surprised by our visit to the Swan. Having read the good reviews we travelled there looking forward to a nice lunch. On arrival we were a bit put off by the number of flies in the first room, so went to the small room behind the bar. Whilst being served our drinks and looking at the menus we were asked to move from the bar area to the room with numerous flies because we had children with us. The bar staff had not mentioned this when taking our drinks order, the request was made by the owner in a rude and abrupt way. Our children are beautifully behaved and were sitting quietly at the table looking at menus when the owner came over. We have eaten meals with them in numerous (and far, far better!) restuarants. So we drank our drinks and left to eat elsewhere where our children would be welcome. We'd suggest that the Swan make it clear that they don't welcome children at any time (no children's menu) and sort out the fly problem! Hardly the "heart of Tarporley"!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 16th century Swan has been welcoming guests through its doors for over 400 years, and was once a convenient resting place for those travelling the 200 miles from London to Chester. Today, our comfortable rooms and welcoming bar and dining areas mean that The Swan continues to be a haven for visitors from far and wide. A regular winner of the Best Kept Village award, Tarporley appears in the Domesday Book of 1086. Back then, Tarporley was home to just eight households, but today is one of the largest villages in the heart of the Cheshire countryside, with antique, curio, craft and fashion shops lining its streets. Some of The Swan’s most historic features are located in its Hunt Room, home to the Tarporley Hunt Club. Founded in 1762, it is the oldest in England. The club historically met twice annually at The Swan, with each meeting lasting seven days and the hunting taking place largely within the nearby Delamere Forest. In the founding set of rules, members were required to drink “three collar bumpers” after both dinner and supper, and, in the event of marriage, to present each club member with a pair of buckskin breeches. The Tarporley Hunt Club still meet once a year today, a quarter of a millennium after Obidiah Lane went hare coarsing with his chums and decided, after much merriment at the Swan, this should happen every year; “We shall meet for the purposes of general conviviality” he declared! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Swan Tarporley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Swan Tarporley Hotel Tarporley
- Swan Hotel Tarporley
- The Swan Tarporley Cheshire, UK