“Really enjoyable Food”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tarporley
Chester, United Kingdom
“Really enjoyable Food”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We have eaten at the Swan for the last few months after a walk around Cheshire, it has been really enjoyable; Their menu is interesting and different, I am also happy to have the option of paying for a large or medium sized portion of food,
This restaurant is forward thinking. Tarporley is situated in a traditional part of Cheshire and if you go try and sit in the bar next to the roaring log fire.
Thank you to the Chef and staff from the Fozard family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank linda f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Tarporley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I often have business meetings in Tarporley and The Swan is the ideal place to meet and share coffee in a quiet alcove. Good coffee, service and price - and their own car park. Other places in town may be more child friendly, or street placed, but this is best for comfortable civilised chat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank David C
Cornwall
Reviewed January 8, 2013

If you have ever wondered what an upper-middle-class small town looks like, then wonder no more. It's Tarporley. In fact, it's so upper-middle that there seems to be a bin collection every morning.

Anyway, if you want to see it for yourself then The Swan is the place to stay. It's an old coaching inn (you can almost hear the clippety-clop of horses' feet) and these days has lots of well-heeled people - probably called Gerard - leaning on the bar trying to buy one another drinks so they don't look poor.

However, that might make it sound stuffy and unfriendly. It isn't. The staff are tip top (though the most lovely by far was the lady doing the cleaning as we went to breakfast each morning)

We stayed in the converted stables out the back. And jolly nice they were too. Perhaps my only grumble would be that the room was so staggeringly hot, courtesy of central heating, that Amazonian tree frogs would have been banging their heads on the door trying to get out for a breather. That said, it's probably my fault as I could probably have turned the radiator down. Anyway, rather them than me paying the oil bill - it must be stratospheric.

Would I stay there again? Yes indeedy. And I'm probably going to have to for reasons far too detailed to go into here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank absenteethoughtlord
Somerset
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed at the Swan for one night whilst visiting a relative in the local cottage hospital. The Swan is on the main street and convenient for the hospital.. only a five minute walk away.
The room, a single, was comfortable and had everything I needed...though the kettle didn't work and the fault appeared to be in the socket.. I was offered another room, but it wasn't as nice and I decided not to move.
The bathroom was bright and clean with bath and shower.
The only real complaint I have to make is the lack of a reading lamp, or at least some decent light in the room. I had brought some work with me, and though there was a table for my computer, the light was too poor to work there. Apart from the bed there was nowhere I could sit with enough light to read, and even there it wasn't great.

Room Tip: My room was in the front, above the front door and lit from the outside with an orange flood lamp un...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at the Swan for 3 nights over the Christmas holidays 2012. The staff led by Silviu and Bianca, in the height of their busiest season, could not have been more courteous, friendly or efficient.(And we have travelled the World on business and pleasure and visited many hotels). The room (The Daresbury No.5) was comfortable with excellent maid service. Breakfast was well served with good choices and we had dinner in the lovely Hunt Room which was a wonderful experience. The headwaiter(Glyn) tho' informal, was efficient and knowledgeable. The hotel is in a lovely village and does excellent trade and is always well attended over the Christmas period. We were visiting my wife's very elderly parents in a village10 miles away when we found our hire car had a puncture on Christmas morning prior to our departure and whilst waiting for the RAC to come, Phil a temporary undergraduate employee tried to help us inflate the tyre with the kit in the hire car, since there was no spare wheel! The RAC man couldn't find a spare tyre on Christmas Day but drove us to my wife's parents. Another great kindness. After my wife had cooked her parents their Christmas Dinner, we needed to get back to the hotel. Silviu in his rest period drove the 10 miles to pick us up and return us to the hotel and would not accept a tip. Silviu and Bianca run the hotel beautifully and calmly and must be a godsend to the owners!. Thank you both and your team. A&R p.s.we travelled back to London for 7 hours in the RAC tow truck but even this didn't spoil our good memories of our stay'. A&R

Room Tip: We stayed in 5 - large and comfortable. Good TV.Bit noisy but it was Christmas. Could perhaps do wit...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rose L
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I think Swan is the best hotel in Tarporley, The rooms were very comfortable and warm. The only problem was the amount of light in the room. The room was not well illuminated, infact the bathroom was much brighter than the whole room. Swan is located on the highstreet and thus it makes itself well connected.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sumit S
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The staff are so so so fab! They can't do enough for you, they brought our dinner to our room. Brought us an iron when my other half was in need, offered us the room for longer in the morning at no extra charge because I was feeling poorly. They ran around for us at every opportunity I just can't thank them enough. Check in was quick, check out was quick. And the room was stunning!! I didn't want to leave it, I had a beautiful bath whilst listening to some music on the telly, my other half never left the bed because it was just so comfy. We're already planning our next visit!!!

In short, the staff, the food, the room and the hotel is all amazing and leaves a nice lasting memory of our visit! See you soon guys! X

• Stayed December 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
Willington Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakmere
Rowton Hall Hotel
Rowton Hall Hotel
#5 of 44 in Chester

Been to The Swan Tarporley? Share your experiences!