“Lovely location but...”

Willington Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tarporley
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were here earlier in the Summer for a family wedding - beautiful location and from the outside the building looked amazing. The wedding service was held in "The Temple" which was lovely but lacked any shade on one of the hottest days of the year. We had two rooms booked for the evening (number 10 and 11?) both rooms were above average in size, slightly dated with more updated bathrooms. However I find it strange that half the bathroom floor was tiled and the other half was floorboards. The finishing touches on the joinery in both rooms left a lot to be desired. There was also a damp patch on the walls and peeling wallpaper. These rooms would not be suitable for anybody with mobility issues as it involved a steep staircase with a heavy fire door at the bottom of the stairs.

Breakfast the following morning was average but I was surprised that there was no menu and a cooked breakfast was brought out for all of us regardless of our requirements, with one member of staff to serve us.

Its the location that sells this place but it is in need of some redecoration.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
willingtonsi, General Manager at Willington Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Lego364,
Thank you for submitting your review of Willington Hall. I am pleased that you appreciated the building as a venue for weddings. I have referred your comments to our maintenance team and I assure you it is something that has now been looked into. In terms of the location of the civil ceremony and the menu choice, this is a decision that we allow the bride and groom to make.
I hope that you will consider staying at the hotel again in the future, however if you would like to discuss matters further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were in the Willington Hall function room for this event which was, on the whole, well organised. Plenty of Staff to look after us and nothing too much trouble. Three course lunch was delicious. Goats cheese on a bed of beetroot to start. Then a plentiful cooked and roast salmon with tiny new potatoes and root vegetable mash. Dessert was a jellied cocktail with ice-cream. The wine flowed and we were well cared for. Later we had a traditional afternoon tea which was delicious too. Lovely grounds to this venue. The main building was rustic and romantic.. Would like to stay overnight next time.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
willingtonsi, General Manager at Willington Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear Carolyn F, thank you for submitting you review of Willington Hall Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed the food and overall atmosphere in our Hamiltons function room. I look forward to welcoming you back to Willington Hall in the future; hopefully you will have an opportunity to stay in one of our bedrooms next time!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was a large party for the monthly Pudding Lunch and was great fun (so long as you enjoy a large variety of puds!) It was a beautiful day which always helps and the grounds of this hotel are lovely. the service is second to none and the surroundings are delightful.

Our lunch was beautifully cooked and the portion size was just right, baring in mond that we had to sample, I think, seven puddings, all of which were absolutely delicious. We will be going again very soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear pamdob, thank you for your recent lovely review of the hotel and our ever popular Pudding Lunch! I’m glad you enjoyed your meal, I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Willington Hall soon!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Having already stayed in Chester and due to a change of plans we found this delightful gem by sheer fluke. On arrival we were greeted with the sight of a beautiful stately home and the receptionist Natalie gave us a warm welcome and remembered my telephone booking. We stayed in a "standard" room, first words were WOW a large room more like a suite with excellent facilities and the comfort factor was fantastic, the king size bed was so comfortable and the bathroom had a large bath and even had a bathrobe. we had a front facing room which had a view of the car park but being honest that wasn't a problem as the car park was surrounded by beautiful grounds and it had a feature fountain. We were booked in for 2 nights originally but decided to stay for a 3rd night and had the opportunity of staying in the room that had a 4 poster bed. Equally on a par, with a couple of added extras, (2 bathrobes and slightly different toiletries) and the views were of the grounds and it was really lovely waking up to see the sunrise. The only down side was there was no Wi-Fi in the room - which was not really a downside for us as we didn't need it. now the food - breakfast was a very good selection, as well as traditional English they also offered Kippers and Haddock and also they had a selection of home made jam and marmalade to try at breakfast which were available to buy in reception. We ate in the bar & restaurant. The bar menu plenty of choice - I had fish & Chips and husband had Chicken with haggis in whiskey sauce both dishes were to use one of my daughters expression's - amazeballs. the batter was light and crispy and the fish very fresh and the chunky chips seasoned perfectly. The chicken and haggis combination was scrumptious. We also both had the steak burger on another evening and this was served with huge onion rings in batter with a lovely burger and chips. The a la carte menu was also very good, a 2 course meal was £20 my husband was very impressed with the Gressingham duck with the cherry reduction and I can recommend the pork belly. They had a good selection of wines and the barperson was very kind and offered me a taste of the house wines before I selected the one I wanted and I was only ordering a glass at the time which I thought was really nice and showed excellent customer service. The customer service in the hotel was faultless, nothing was too much trouble everything was about giving the guests the best experience possible during their stay. The housekeeping was excellent in the rooms we had, the public areas were clean, tidy and well maintained. The receptionists all showed an interest in their guests, one of them advised us what was in the area and my husband mentioned he has an interest in antiques, so we were told about a couple of places to visit. The little farm shop nearby is a must visit to.
Oh and before I finish raving about this diamond the room rates were incredibly reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
willingtonsi, General Manager at Willington Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear jagsandsmelly, thank you for submitting your recent, lovely, review of the hotel. I am delighted that you both enjoyed your stay and had an opportunity to stay in the four poster room! I will certainly pass your compliments on to the team and I hope to welcome you back to Willington Hall in the near future.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Went to a wedding yesterday here and it is a beautiful hotel set in the breathtaking countryside. The staff were very friendly and chatty. Drinks very reasonable priced and food exceptional. Will be going back to eat with the family as the menu looked lovely and won't break the bank.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank amanda h
willingtonsi, General Manager at Willington Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear AmandaH, thank you for your lovely comments. I will pass on your compliments to the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Willington Hall in the future.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Location – A beautiful countryside setting, not too far from main roads/links and easy to find.

Staff – Really helpful, chatty, friendly, the personal touch is in full flow here & it really makes a difference and enforces that the little things really do matter and are appreciated – like personally being taken and shown your room.

Accommodation – Appearance & décor is in keeping with the age of the property however it is tired and overdue a full programme of renovation. My heart sank a little at our outdated room (No 10) & bathroom the musty smell that greeted us had us opening the window for fresh air that said the room was spotlessly clean, the bed was comfortable & we slept well. Toiletries, large soft fluffy towels, tea & coffee, free WFi code all in the room, ironing board available on request.

Food – We ate in the bar in the evening with breakfast served in the restaurant the quality was excellent along as was the choice. With the hall being so quiet, almost eerily so, we felt a little exposed and on show when dining, some low level back ground music would have helped to create some sort of atmosphere.

My lasting impression was that our stay was enjoyable, the effort that must go into keeping a place like this going is incredible and it made a welcome change from staying in large and somewhat impersonal hotels chains.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank meandtheoldman

Dear meandtheoldman, thank you for submitting your review. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay and pleased that you were able to appreciate the hotel building and grounds for all of its charm and character. With regards to your comments about the decor, I am currently in the process of carrying out extensive renovation on the main building, bedrooms and a new heating system. I hope that this has not put you off any future visit, but if it has and you would like to discuss it further please contact me at the hotel directly.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Wednesday night dinner for two £30 fantastic value. Super food, generally good staff. Definitely recommended for somewhere a bit soecial specially with this offer. Even if we didnt get coffee is ordered originally it arrived with a smile and appology

Stayed: July 2013

Dearsmh111, thank you for submitting your review, I apologise for the delay in responding to you. I am glad you enjoyed your dinner on our Wednesday night offer please look out for future offers that we have and in the meantime I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa
#1 of 1 in Oakmere
The Chester Grosvenor
The Chester Grosvenor
#4 of 45 in Chester

Been to Willington Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!