“All we hoped for”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tarporley
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“All we hoped for”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We were welcomed beautifully as were our touring bicycles (I assume that not many of their guests arrive by bicycle). The room was well appointed with a four poster bed and very thick towels. We took a wander in the beautiful gardens before a superb dinner.
We liked the quiet location with rural views for a comparable price tag.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cycletourists

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2011

We chose Willington Hall for our Wedding Day after looking at lots of venues in this area and we couldn't find any that came close to this beautiful venue. In the run up to the wedding Simon and the staff at Willington were more than happy to help with all our queries and requests.

The day itself ran so smoothly we didn't have to worry about a thing. Willington is such a beautiful wedding venue and we were lucky to have a rare sunny day. The food is excellent and they catered for special meal requests for children, vegetarians etc. Michel the Head Waiter made us feel so relaxed and made he made
it a memorable day for everyone.

Each of the hotel rooms that the guests stayed in were unique and beautiful in different ways. The breakfast the following morning was freshly cooked and there was a variety of choices would definitely recommend. I am sure we will return to Willington Hall many times in the years to come!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrandMrsHughes
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Me and my maid of honour stayed the night before my wedding. Simon, Michelle and Emma were fantastic, extremely helpful and friendly. I didn't need to worry about anything and everything (food, service, decor) was outstanding. Would definitley recommend this hotel for weddings as the setting is amazing and you'll be well looked after. I got married in the temple which had magnificent views.

If its a hotel break your after the food was lovely. I ate in the bar which was above my expectations but will definitley be going back for the a la carte, which looked fantastic. The rooms were really nice but its worth paying a little extra for the superior! The four poster room is gorgeous.

Thank you to all at Willington Hall, especially Simon and Michelle, i had a fabulous wedding!! See you soon, Sarah and Anthony Yearsley x

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I was lucky enough to attend a wedding at Willington Hall and first impressions were.. OH MY GOODNESS! What a lovely venue! We were lucky enough to have a sunny day and the grounds looked amazing and the hotel looked gorgeous. The size is perfect for wedding venue as has large grounds, the wow factor for the building and yet it is not too big for your big day to be interrupted by other hotel guests so has that intimate feel. In fact, my friend’s family and close friends used most (if not all) of the rooms so they more or less had the place exclusive to their wedding day! Even has a helipad if the groomsmen want to arrive that way! Something my husband-to-be is now looking at since spotting that!!

My friends were married outside in the grounds which I thought was a lovely touch, and the small stone canopy where the legal bits of the ceremony took place was just perfect. I found the staff very attentive and my glass was always full! Food at the wedding was also served hot and with high standards and dancing went on in to the night. I know my friend (the bride) had a wonderful day and said that everything ran smoothly and couldn’t believe how attentive staff at the hotel were. It’s just a shame that I can not pick up Willington Hall and place it in the South for my wedding as this venue is exactly what we are looking for… unfortunately granny is too frail to travel that far!! The only thing which is a drawback… is that there was not enough bedrooms left for me… it was fully booked! So I had to stagger off to a nearby hotel.

I will definitely go back when in the area… perhaps try the afternoon tea and the beauty salon... Girls weekend away I’m thinking!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2011

In July 2010 we had our wedding reception at Willington Hall. We had an amazing day! From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty and nothing was too much for the manager and his staff. The day went without a hitch and our guests were amazed by the high standard of the food. We stayed in the bridal suite the night of the wedding, the room was luxurious and had beautiful views of the grounds and surrounding fields. We had the perfect wedding day and we have already booked a meal for our one year anniversary in a couple of weeks. Thank you to Simon and all the staff at Willington Hall for making it a day to remember!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
lancs
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Stayed here for the night on a groupon package deal ,have to say the hotel is lovely very oldy world but clean with excellent service from all the staff. We had a three course meal which was worthy of a four star hotel and a freshly cooked breakfast the next morning but the big disappointment was the spa it was a lot of standing around for a 20 min shoulder massage that lacked the relaxed atmosphere that all spas should have we did the portal last year and would go there again for a spa break but just for a break the hotel is great.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jennifer c
Leek, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We only had afternoon tea on our visit, the plan was to see if it was worth staying a weekend here - we decided we will not return. Food was just about ok, but service was really poor.

The place was really busy with some sort of party going on, so I assume the staff were pretty stretched.

We were quite hopeful on arrival, the grounds and the building are beautiful. The room we were in was quite disappointing, and it just went downhill from there.

While our table was being set the waitress dropped a knife, my husband told me later that she had still placed it on our table, he just made sure he did not use it.

We were not asked what we would like to drink, which I thought was unusual. When the waitress came back with a pot of tea I asked her what flavour it was. She said (without a hint of sarcasm) its Tetley!

Sandwiches were cheese, egg and ham mixed together, and just ham, may have been left out a while as the bread was a starting to go a little ‘crusty’. Cakes were large slices of Victoria and chocolate sponge, which were actually quite tasty but really overfacing. There was a meringue which again was huge, and some sort of frosted cup cake which looked like it had been bought in. The scones were quite dry, and cream was just double cream, rather than the clotted cream you would expect.

Once our food was bought out no one spoke to us again, not to ask if everything was ok, or if we would like more to drink. I actually left feeling quite thirsty.

All in all we were glad we visited, if only because it was so amusing!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shifu69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarporley
The Swan Tarporley
#1 of 1 in Kelsall
Rowton Hall Hotel
Rowton Hall Hotel
#5 of 44 in Chester

Been to Willington Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!