“Excellent place to stay and eat”
Review of Alvanley Arms

Alvanley Arms
Ranked #1 of 38 Restaurants in Tarporley
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was a welcome overnighter. I had the single bedroom called The Shetland, which was very comfortable and had all home comforts. I met my parents who were there for two nights and they had a very roomy twin room, another horsey name which escapes me. The evening meal was enormous and very tasty. All the staff were so helpful, nothing was too much trouble, they often guessed what you wanted before you asked! I stayed on a Sunday night which was very good, the bar filled around 9.30 pm, which is when the weekly quiz night starts. It was a hoot - there isn't an fee or prize, whichever team wins has to set the questions for the following week! The Inn is adjacent to a shire horse centre, and a trout pond. Residents get free entry and it really is excellent. Not only are there horses, but other farm animals, when we went there were lots of piglets sniffing int everything, they were a great hit with the families there. All in all a very nice 24 hours, I cannot wait to visit for a longer stay next time.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Im sure any visitor will be met with a relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff at this pub with good grub! Substantial portions are on offer whether a starter or main course. The speciality is the steak and ale pie. It's was very good indeed, my friends and I left feeling very content with our lot. We would have preferred the chips not to have been frozen ones, but you can't have everything and this is not a complaint, just an observation. A good selection of hearty meals are on offer and I would certainly return.

1  Thank mrkieron
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Booked to stay at the Alvanley Arms an also breakfast and evening meal. The room was cosy but there were a few minor irritations. Bathroom door needed a good shove to close it. Shower head too high for the splashback and I managed to give the bathroom a quick unintended spruce up. All can be forgiven as she is a very old lady..over 400 years old. Free WI Fi , cosy fires and a wonderful friendly hostess. The food was delicious and surpassed our expectations. The staff efficient and friendly, We will be going back again

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I'm ashamed to say this was our third choice of venue for a Christmas Eve dinner, with the kids (teenage) and another family with slightly older kids; the others were full when we tried to book a table (we are late bookers!).

It was excellent.

Ambiance is a specialty of this pub, service was great, and pub-food does not get any better. My son had one of the best looking rump steaks I've ever seen. Apparently it tasted good too, but I wasn't allowed a sample! There were eight if us at the table, including four teenagers (who generally live a negative life - it's a trendy thing) and we all had a great time.

I've only lived in the area for 10 years, so am not a local expert, but in my view this is in the top handful of pubs (for food) in west Cheshire.

If you are lucky enough to be traveling north on the A49, pop in.

1  Thank Aid5
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We haven't dined here for ages - but we'll be going against soon.
Two of us dined for £60.00 including wine and drinks and consider that to be excellent value.
Stuffed peppers for me were fantastic and my wife's pheasant was given ten out of ten.
Highly recommend.