“Lovely old inn in a pleasant setting”

and 1 more site!
Innkeeper's Lodge Sandbach Homes Chapel
Ranked #5 of 5 Sandbach B&B and Inns
Buxton, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely old inn in a pleasant setting”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We booked a room here because we had tickets for the Weller gig at Jodrell Bank. When the show was cancelled we decided not to cancel our trip and visited anyway, spending some time walking in the nearby country park and then in the picturesque village of Sandbach - both a short drive away.

The inn is a traditional old country pub in the Cheshire village of Brereton. The room itself was in a converted outbuilding. It was small but not uncomfortably so, clean and adequately furnished. The bed was comfortable and everything worked. There were no noise issues and we had a good night's rest.

The staff at check-in and breakfast in the morning were friendly and helpful. We ate in the restaurant in the evening. The service and food was good - fresh ingredients, well cooked - and remarkably inexpensive. The continental breakfast in the morning was more than enough to get you on your way.

We would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Sandbach Homes Chapel, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Dear JohnBuxton,
Thankyou for your feedback following your recent visit.

I am pleased you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to you visiting us again in the near future.

Alex Woolfenden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
ooop north
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Just returned from a truly enjoyable 2 night stay at this establishment. A little expensive at the bar perhaps but there are such things as 'supply and demand' and keeping shareholders happy.Despite my visit being of a midweek variety the place was very busy on an evening so the chain have not got things too wrong. Possibly there has been a change of staff recently as we found the staff smiling and very pleasant. I was particularly impresssed when the friendly guy who checked us in accompanied us to our room and explained fully everything that we needed to know. The noise level was,in our eyes as a frequent stayer at inns, what I would expect from a 16th century building.

Dear abcd e,
Thankyou for your recent review following your visit.

I am please you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to you visiting us again in the near future.

Millport18
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Have stayed here a few times and have to say, the hotel part of the stay was fine this time round. I had room 212 which I have had before. Nice size, only a shower and not a bath, clean, free wifi and all in all OK. It is in the old part of the building facing the road so you can get a bit of road noise but not a lot of traffic at night. Check in was fine and would not hesitate to use it again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear millport118,
Many thanks for you kind review following your recent visit.

All feedback is very important to us.

I am pleased you enjoyed your recent visit and we look forward to you visiting us again in the near future.

Stoke-on-trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This pub is really quite pretty from the outside with a cosy setting inside, however the food and service are substandard. We ordered drinks from the bar, the girl serving clearly did not want to be there which wasn't the warmest of welcomes. I ordered the beef and mushroom pie, which contained very little meat which was fatty. I ordered chips, but it arrived with potatoes. The portions were small given the above average prices charged.
When the bill arrived it listed a large wine when I had received a small, on raising this they did correct the bill but showed little remorse for the error made.
I will not be returning any time soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Annabella1983,
Thankyou for your feedback following your recent visit.

I would like to apologise for the issues you had during your recent visit.

We take all feedback seriously and the quality issues with the meals have been brought to the attention of the relevant departments and suppliers to ensure we can provide a consistant product and service.

We hope you will take the opportunity to visit us again in the future and if you have any further problems please ask to speak to the manager on duty at the time of the visit as we prefer to deal with all issues at the time of your visit.

Sandbach
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Have just had 'Lunch' @ The Bears Head Brereton. Appauling service, awful food, dirty pub! Cigeratte ends cover the patios, the brass behind the bar has clearly not been cleaned for a while. Menus on the tables we're dog-earred and dirty. All this was noticed while my partner went to get some drinks he came back with a pint of wainwright, served in a Guinness glass that was far too cold for a bitter, my 'diet' pepsi, was in fact regular pepsi. My partners scallops we're no bigger than a 10p piece (both of them), for £6.75 I'd expect slightly more. My main of a Chicken Ham and Leek Pie was inedible, watery, tastless and cold! Not one member of staff bothered to pop over to complete any check backs, the pub was no busy! All in all a shockingly bad experience I wouldnt want to repeat! Although when leaving i understood why the pub was so so quiet. A shame as I have visited many a Vintage Inn and found no problems

1 Thank Mary B
awoolfenden, General Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Sandbach Homes Chapel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Mary B

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the poor visit you experienced. I can assure you this is not our usual standards.

With regards to our cleanliness, we have a cleaning schedule which we use to maintain our standards and this does include the brasses, however some of the brasses are badly tarnished due to age. With regards to the cigarette buts these are normally cleaned up on a daily basis, however due the bad weather we had had recently this tast was not able to be completed until later on saturday. As you might have seen the contract gardeners were on site and were to perform that task later that day. We do have a number of ash trays around the building, but many guests seem to want to leave their cigarette buts on the floor.

With regards to the food, as you have stated we are a brand and we do operate to specifications. The scallops dish is served with the two scallops and pork belly and the chicken pie is the same pie served at every vintage inn. I can only apologise if the temperature was incorrect and I'm sure if you would have mentioned it to a member of staff during the visit we would have been able to correct it at the time. However as you did not have a checkback, perhaps you did not get that opportunity, which I can only apologise for.

You also mentioned about your drinks. The beer is served at the correct temperature according to the Cask Marque standard and we are regularly tested to ensure that this at the correct standard. The reason why it was served in a guiness glass is simply that there would have been no other glass to serve it in at the time. I do have more glasses on order. We currently have had a lot of glasses taken by other guests and are currently running short.

I wold like to have the opportunity to discuss your visit with you, please feel free to call me on 01477 544732.

Cowbridge, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We passed this place on the way to find our place that we had booked..."The Innkeepers Lodge". "Wow, that looks nice" was the general consensus as we drove passed. How delighted were we when we realised that our "innkeepers lodge" was the brand name, and we WERE staying in the Bears Head. Warm welcome as soon as we walked in, attentive staff, good food, only small and very minor thing was a strange musty kind of smell in the bedrooms, but not that bad really. A great nights stay, thanks

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris D
awoolfenden, General Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Sandbach Homes Chapel, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Many thanks for your kind report following your recent visit to the Bears Head.

I am glad you enjoyed your recent visit and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

A Woolfenden
kidsgrove
Reviewed May 10, 2012

we , huuby and I wnet for lunch a month ago, the red wine was nearly £6 a glass, I has the scallops with pork as a starter...it hurt my eyes looking for the scallops...there were TWO tiny ones...hubbys prawns were a good size but had the shells on and there was only 3. We then had a steak bagette, and a bbq chicken thing....very nasty....the waitess could not gived 2 hoots ....avoid like the plague

Room Tip: did not stay the night just had a very expensive QUICK lunch