“Crowns off to the chef”

Saxon Grill at the Crown
Ranked #7 of 72 Restaurants in Sandbach
Cuisines: British, Bar, Gastropub, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: NEW A LA CARTE MENU NOW AVAILABLE The Saxon Grill is located adjacent to the ancient Crosses on the Market Square in the centre of Sandbach. We are open 7 days a week for fine food, cocktail partys and private functions, such as Christenings, Birthdays, Anniversaries. We can also cater for larger parties and gatherings such as funerals at our sister venue The Market Tavern, located next to the Crown
Paris, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Crowns off to the chef”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

During my most recent visit to the British Isles, I visited this exquisitely refurbished restaurant on two separate occasions now. On my first visit I had a luscious steak which was cooked medium rare, and I must say my first bite of this juicy, tender piece gave me that 'va va voom' feeling in my mouth.

On my second visit I went for a classic British roast, and this exceeded my expectations ten fold even after my perfect introduction to the Saxon Grill, to which I could easily mistake for having a michelin star. Somptueux!

1 Thank Francois S

Cheshire
“An excellent evening”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have been to the Saxon Grill on two occasions, once for lunch and last Saturday for an evening meal with my family. On both occasions the service and food have been second to none at very reasonable prices. The ambience and decor all add to the experience of dining at this establishment, to which I will certainly return in the near future. Cannot recommend highly enough!

1 Thank Linsey_Cwiklinski
Holmes Chapel, United Kingdom
“A-list ambience”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Dining in this new restaurant/gastro pub is an absolute pleasure from the moment you walk in. The staff are very welcoming without being pushy. The Saxon Grill is tastefully decorated throughout. We were lucky enough to be in the private room which was stunning. At the centre was a glass table big enough for most activities.
I had a wild mushroom in Stilton which sent all who had it wild and those who didn't wild in another sense.
My main sounds boring - steak in peppers - but it was cooked to perfection and the jenga chips were sensational. I finished with baked banana which was go good it rendered Ingrid's ######## redundant!
All the meals were great and everyone went home happy.
The total bill for seven with four bottles of wine was a tad over £200
In summary the Saxon Grill is a great restaurant for a night out

uk
“Fabulous decor. Fabulous hosts and staff. Poor food!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I have been on 3 different occasions since the crown has been refurbished. Twice for drinks and only once for food.

The refurbishment is fabulous! Classic, stylish yet comfortable. There is a private dining suite which is beautiful and everything has been tastefully decorated.

Because of this though, you think the food will match the high standards of the establishment. Unfortunately it doesn't.

There is a good variety of food choices but being called a grill I would expect more than one type of steak and other classic grill meals.

I chose the rib eye (as we were in a grill!).
The only way I can describe it is as if I was cooking it at home. Ok but not what I would go out to eat. Steak was very fatty ( not great quality like it had been bought from the cash n carry and not local sourced.)Sauce was runny and tasted like a packet mix, chips soggy with slice of peppery tomato on the side and crispy burnt mushrooms. I don't think the chef can be too amazing as it also took a while to come!

The waiting on staff and management were all fantastic and I would definitely return for drinks but I think they need to up the game food wise.

1 Thank stewpotUk
SaxonGrillSandbach, Owner at Saxon Grill at the Crown, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your comments.

Unfortunately ribeye steaks are not the most tender of cuts, we have raised the issue with our local supplier, one of the leading butchers in Sandbach who supplies locally sourced beef. Indeed we were already increasing the range of steaks offered and are also adding further choices to our "grill" offer, as you rightly say one steak is not a good offer for a "grill" - this will be remedied soon.
Your comments on our pepper sauce are at odds with the customers who prefer our home made sauce, which has certainly never seen a packet - as with everything some customers may prefer a thicker sauce. This could be provided on request.
As all our meals are cooked to order, during busy times there may be occasions when service takes longer than others - for this I will not apologise as this would compromise the quality of food served and appreciated by others on tripadvisor.
We hope you will dine with us again and that you will find your next visit meets your expectations.
Sandbach, United Kingdom
“Saturday lunch”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My friend and I called in for lunch a couple of weekends ago, what they have done with the place is above and beyond great!! We shared a platter of sandwiches which was more than enough for two and a really good choice, and a bowl of big fat homemade chips which were delicious. The guys that manage the place can not do enough for you, and nothing is too much trouble. The atmosphere is relaxed and there's a small lounge area, great if you just want a quite drink. Will be going back for an evening meal in a couple of weeks.

• Visited February 2013