“stayed in better for less.”

Chimney House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandbach
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked for one night as we were attending a Christmas party there. Room was good apart from the window frame that was in need of replacing. Food was okay apart from the beef that was tough ang stringy. As we are not made of money it would be nice for drinks to be priced a bit cheaper and for real ale to be available. Paying over £ 3.60 for nasty cream flow beer is unacceptable when i can get quality cask conditioned ale for less than £3 in a pub. Breakfast was just okay, nothing special.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Nigel C
LukeKendall001, General Manager at Chimney House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your constructive feedback on your experience here at the Brook Chimney House hotel.

As i have indicated in another response my plan is to get a "real ale" however i would not describe Caffrey's as "nasty", it is a quality product supplied throughout the world.

Our bar prices are in line with all other hotels in the local area.

Your comments about the beef have been addressed with the head chef and have been used in preparation for the usual busy weekend ahead.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I had problems with this hotel right from where they got my booking wrong! Girl on the phone was patronising, answering every thing I said (including my name!) with 'no problem' - and then booked me in the wrong date!
The dinner was the worst - one vegetarian option. Penne pasta in tomato sauce with parmesan cheese. This was for £19.50, and parmesan is not vegetarian! I asked if I could have something else and had mushroom risotto. An hour after I went to the dinning room my risotto with partially cooked rice arrived. The service was so slow, I waited 15 minutes at the bar to get the bill.
As mentioned in previous reviews the place is also grubby, and the carpets are threadbare.
This is certainly not a 4 star hotel, and I would recommend you avoid it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank helen a
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Booked well in advance through Laterooms and received confirmation emails. Arrived at the hotel to be told that no booking had been made and that no rooms were ready for us so we would need to wait and hour while they prepared the rooms and made our bookings tried to charge us full rack rate for the booking not the reduced rate we had from Laterooms they eventually honoured the price but said we would have to pay the full cost which i think was £15 for the breakfast and not the discounted price of £9 that was on our Laterooms confirmation.

I complained that we were being penalised due to their inability to communicate with Laterooms and was told they would investigate.

The rooms as stated by other reviewers are dated and tired and the door to my room would only open be being kicked and to close the door it had to be slammed so hard I can't believe it didn't disturb guests in other rooms.

The restaurant menu was really over priced there is a good just up the road in Brereton called the Bears Head which has a good selection of beers and ales and decent sensibly priced food I'd suggest people eat here.

Our £15 Breakfast fee entitled us to pick over a lukewarm buffet of deep fried sausages, dry bacon and over cooked beans and boiled mushrooms, the fruit salad had a strange blue fur around the edges there was one waitress who was friendly enough but clearly stretched dealing with a room full of diners on her own.

When I got home I contacted Laterooms who said they would investigate and came back to me very quickly to say the hotel had told them they DID have my booking all along and would investigate what happened and come back to them. To date I have had no explanation or apology from the Hotel.

Overall this is a perhaps once decent hotel that is on the decline young inexperienced staff couldn't care less about guests. I won't be returning.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TheAngryBishop
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I never usually write reviews but I thought I would share this experience with people so that they know what to expect from this hotel. I called up to arrange a wedding venue appointment to be told Sharon will call me back the following day, I waited the whole day until 4pm and called Sharon again in which she told me she wasn't aware that I had called. Mistakes do happen so I gave her the benefit of the doubt and requested a few details of the venue, prices, menus etc Sharon said she will email them over to me, this email was never recieved... even after calling again to request the email to be sent. I appreciate people in the hotel/wedding sector can be very busy so once again I called up the hotel after not recieving the email and decided to book a viewing for my partner and I to have our special day there. The receptionist asked if we could go that day (10.11.12) but unfortunatley we had plans and we arranged to meet Sharon on Saturday 17th November at 11.00am and popped the appointment into my diary whilst I was on the phone (thats usually what organised people do!)
My partner and I were looking forward to the appointment all week, we arrived at the hotel thinking it looked lovely, the entrance was really nice and the reception staff greeted us well. We told the receptionist (male) that we had an appointment with Sharon at 11.00am and he went to look for her. A few minutes later, Sharon appeared in the enterance and just stood looking at us as if we were something at the bottom of her shoe, to say we felt awkward would be an understatement!! She came bowling over and said "sorry to look at you vague, but who are you as I do not know why you are here" we explained we had an appointment arranged to view for a wedding and once AGAIN, Sharon said she wasn't told of this appointment and has a conference room of people at the hotel today. At this point I began to think what on earth would our wedding day be like having to deal with this Sharon who mysteriously "was never informed of anything!!!!" but again, I realise things can not always run smoothly so we gave Sharon the chance to rectify the situation. She asked us to sit down and she'll fetch us some coffee's, Sharon was gone for 10-15minutes and returned not saying a word to us, slammed the cups down and whilst pouring the coffee into cups, she mumbled the following "like I said I have a conference on today so you won't be able to view that, I have a wedding on next week but not sure what time you could come down and look at things beforehand, so I'll go get some paperwork and I'll quickly run through things" and walked off inwhich she seemed so angry that we were there... my partner and I had really had enough of such bad treatment that we got up and left.
We were so disappointed to have been treated so very badly, even when we gave this woman the benefit of the doubt, I had my doubts when I was first let down by not recieving emails or phonecalls but the face to face visit proves that our wedding day would of been an unorganised sham by Sharon and ruined our wedding day. Its a shame that the whole experience was completely ruined and it really upset the rest of our day, but obviously our money is not good enough for this hotel and the thousands of pounds that we were going to spend will certainly be taken to a company that appreciates the custom!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Abs-879
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was due to stay at a local hotel to Knutsford and at the last minute was called to say I was being moved to this hotel, so did not book this place directly. I had no idea what I was agreeing to when driving down the M6!!

Upon arrival I checked in, but only when there was a pen available once other guests had filled in their forms - quote 'had lots of pens stolen, so one at a time'. 4 star hotel....??

I was only staying one night and some other colleagues from work also had been bumped hotels and ended up here so we went for dinner. The menu isn't great but there is something to suit most people.

We were taken to a table and the food arrived reasonably quickly - I had a steak which was not cooked right but not a bad effort. If I was paying from my own pocket and not company expenses I would have made more of a fuss. No offer of bread at dinner, fizzy water we ordered never arrived either,

To the rooms - this is where it got really bad. When I arrived I spend no more than a few minutes in the room before going for dinner, it was a fairly late check in. I noticed the lamp shade was burnt, wallpaper peeling off the walls and carpet was threadbare. 4 Star remember?! The staircase carpet was dirty as was the corridor one,

I can accept that the place is worn and needs updating but cannot, ever, accept dirty rooms - there is no excuse - the bed was not made, there was dust everywhere, someone elses coke can in the bin, the carpet had not been hoovered and was covered in bits, stains on the headboard (tried not to work out what it was) and worst of all out of 5 pillows in the room, 3 had someone elses hairs on it. The room also smelt funny...I couldn't pinpoint what it was though.

I tired to ring reception on 0 as mentioned in the ring-binder to complain, but couldn't find a phone. I found a clean spot in my smelly bed and tried to sleep.

Next morning I had a shower in the almost new bathroom, where more hair was found on the towels and in the bath. By this point I was pretty p'd off and felt sick. I then couldn't find an iron to iron my shirt for work. Pointless trying to ring '0' which it said to do in the ring binder to get an iron - no phone, I went down to reception on my way to breakfast at 7am (earliest breakfast is served) to ask someone put an iron in my room. I was met with two very rude staff members who told me I should have ordered one the night before. Nobody said I had to, no signs told me I should and the ring binder just said ring reception for one. I wasn't happy at this point, mostly because their attitude was......we will see what we can do!! I eventually asked for a manager and they then said they would find me one....customer service?

At breakfast nothing came out until 7.15 - this is a business hotel apparently!! I was already running late. Cheap sausages, cold bacon and eggs despite it just being brought out. I was about to give up and couldn't imagine anything else going wrong. At that point the rude bloke from reception strutted over whilst I was eating my breakfast to tell me my Iron was behind reception and again told me I should have booked it. Some attitude later which was uncalled for I find out they only have 4 irons for 50 rooms??? 4 star??? I've stayed in better 2 star hotels in Blackpool on a stag do.

In summary, this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, I've stayed away over 70 nights this year and similar last year and this place is the worst I have experienced, both for cleanliness and service.

Its best avoided - its a dump and is very far from 4 stars. The rooms are old and run down, the service is poor and its very dirty.

I'd be surprised if its not closed down this time next year - if its not it should be.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank bbroomlea
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have just returned from a one night stay at this hotel and I have to say I really enjoyed it.
The hotel was very quiet on the saturday night of our stay as there was no weddings on and i felt this was a real advantage as previous reviews suggested it gets pretty chaotic on wedding days.
Checking in very quick done by a pleasant young lady, we had an executive room and it was very good, and very large ,the only small gripe was the hot water was very slow and not very hot.
Our evening meal was in the main dining area and we had no complaints with the food it was hot and very well prepared, the wine list is good and fairly priced for the wines on offer.
Overall it was a lovely nights stay and we will return, but i do think we struck lucky going when no wedding was on.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
LukeKendall001, General Manager at Chimney House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Chickenbez,

Many thanks for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am very glad to read that you enjoyed yourselves so much.

Hope to see you again very soon

Reviewed November 9, 2012

With good comfortable rooms and a pleasant menu in the restaurant combined with a very reasonable price this a great place to stay. With quiet rooms overlooking fields you should enjoy a good nights sleep too.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CJSWhitstable

Dear CJSWhitstable,

Many thanks for your kind feedback on your stay with us here.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future

Luke Kendall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandbach
Crewe Hall
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Alsager Manor House Hotel
The Hunters Lodge
The Hunters Lodge
#3 of 10 in Crewe

Been to Chimney House Hotel? Share your experiences!