“Supprise Sunday Lunch!”

Chimney House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandbach
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Traveling back from the north we decided we wanted to have lunch but did not want the expetiance of a motoway cafe, always a gamble when you come off the M6 to look for somewere but no sooner had we gone off the junction than the Chimney House hotel popped up.
If I had read some of the reviews I would have given it a miss. But I am glad we didnt. The food was good not great but better than the service stations and better Value . 2 course £9.95 & 3 was £12.95. Go for the 3 my husband loved the Chocolate Fonde! Service was interesting and fun.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
LukeKendall001, General Manager at Chimney House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Mave K,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to us here at the Brook Chimney House Hotel.

I am delighted to read your comments and very pleased to see that all our hard work is now paying off. Our Sunday lunch trade has increased dramatically and we have experienced a few teething problems but these were ironed out some weeks ago.

I hope you can visit us again in the very near future.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have to say this was quite possibly the worst Sunday lunch I have ever had when eating out. The roast potatoes were like rubber - having obviously been cooked for a good few hours or been reheated from the day before. The food was drowning in gravy. The carrots were like mush yet the cauliflower was hard as rock.

I have to agree with the other reviews on this site and state that the food was simply poor... my partner and I finished our meals and left leaving the staff (who are clearly over-worked judging by how much the head waiter was sweating) to tender to more disappointed looking customers.

A half-full restaurant on a Sunday speaks volumes to me.

A word to the management too... the carpet is incredibly stained with food. Playing really loud hip-hop music is not really appropriate when people are trying to eat and chat... thankfully it was changed half-way through our meal to something more sedate.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JulianG187069

Dear Juliang187069,

Man thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent experience here at the Brook Chimney House Hotel.
It is always very pleasing to receive both positive and negative feedback as it is a great way in which to use it as a learning tool so we can continually improve our service and offering here at the hotel. For this please may I thank you.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal but please be rest assured that every effort has been made to rectify the food that you received. We received many compliments on that particular Sunday so please accept my sincere apologies that your fayre was not the same as your fellow diners. The area of the carpet has been cleaned and I have checked the music system and none of it is hip hop music only pop, ballads and classical.

I hope that I can restore your faith in the restaurant and if I can be of any further assistance please do phone me at the hotel where I would be delighted to speak to you.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel for one night as an overnight stop with Alfa Holidays. I was quite worried by some of the reviews before I went. My room was o.k. but the windows need replacing and I could not reach to open one.The lady in the room next to me had a large crack in the window pane. The bathroom was superb and seemed to have been recently refurbished,The bed was comfortable and I had a good nights sleep.Checkin was quick but I was asked for my evening choice of menu before I had even had a chance to look at it. We were originally told that dinner was at 7.30 but this was changed to 7.00 and we were told that those who had already checked in would be phoned to let them know. Two of our party were not informed and came down halfway through the meal. The meal was adequate although the roast potatoes were clearly warmed up. Breakfast was o.k. if you got there promptly or you had to wait for replenishments.
We asked for a small wine at the bar and were told that they only had large wine glasses and the wine had to be measured they then realised they needed to get bottles of wine from the wine cellar although the bar had only just opened. One chap had his whisky served in a brandy baloon as they said they had no other suitable glasses.
When the evening meal was served the waiters just rushed round the tables with the food already plated up asking who ordered a particular menu choice until they managed to find the right person.
All in all not a terrible hotel but a few things need tweaking and a bit more organisation would make a lot of difference.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Andysgirl49
LukeKendall001, General Manager at Chimney House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us here at the Brook Chimney House Hotel.

I am very glad to report that the windows you mention are in the process of being replaced. I am unsure why two of your party came down late as the coach driver did tell every body of the dining times. With regards to the small wine glasses, these at the time were being washed due to the high volume of guests we were serving that night so they were not available for approximately ten minutes. The same applies to the whiskey glasses. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the bathroom and had a good nights sleep so I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We went for Sunday lunch yesterday to this hotel. Our table was on the edge of the wedding ceremony area which was being set up around us whilst we had our meal. A vacuum cleaner was positioned close to our table too but fortunately wasn't used whilst we were there. We felt rushed out as they were moving chairs around and rolling out red carpet. This was about 2pm and the wedding was starting at 3pm. We felt that we were slotted in to earn a few quid for the hotel. Doesn't it matter about the experience of Groupon voucher holders? It seems that way! We could have been future customers but certainly won't be returning.

The meal was mediocre. We read the other comment which seemed to suggest a THREE course lunch. We had a choice of TWO courses and chose the belly pork and the banana and toffee Eton Mess. The roast potatoes were overdone and there was no offer of condiments or sauces. The dessert was a small tumbler (smaller than the one given to the next table) with some whipped cream, a few slices of banana, one small piece of meringue on the top and a trace of toffee at the bottom. Very disappointing.

We had a small glass of house white wine and a pint of beer. The bill for these was a staggering £9.20. So glad we didn't have coffee!

We are not daft and realise that hotels/restaurants are giving out vouchers in order to attract business/future business and that they want to make some profit on drinks. However, at these prices we will not be returning. The food is ordinary and only worth £5 and the place is in need of refurbishment.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank me_here_12

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent dining experience here at the Brook Chimney House Hotel.

I am very surprised to read you comments as I personally served you that day. The menu that was presented to you was a three course Sunday lunch menu and you were entitled to three courses as was everyone else on that day. I am unsure why you felt rushed as we took bookings at 2.30pm with no issues but if you did please accept my apologies. I do remember asking you after I served you the pork if you wanted anything else with your meals but your answer was no. A check back was also made to check for satisfaction. I do believe that your meals were excellent value for money as we source high quality produce here at the hotel. I have however taken your comments fully on board and will act on the necessary changes needed

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here for a night when I was over for a friends funeral. It was lovely & clean & very peaceful & quiet. The bed was clean & comfy & the breakfast was good. Lovely bathroom.
I live on the Isle of Man & can never sleep with windows open because of the noise of the sea gulls. It was so lovely to be able to sleep with an open window, that over looks quiet grounds. You would never know you are so near a motorway. It's a convenient hotel that feels out in the country.
I will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MrsHIsleofMan
LukeKendall001, General Manager at Chimney House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Dear MrsHIsleofMan,

Many thanks for you kind comments and i look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We booked a two night stay at this hotel. We left this morning, foregoing our second night.
Granted, we had a small dog with us and so had requested a ground floor room - oh dear!! I did enquire as to whether all the rooms were of the same size and quality and apparently they are.
Where do I start?? The room was tiny and drab, the view from the window faced a brick wall complete with extractor fan which we worked out was from the toilets. The room was extremely stuffy and with the window open the road noise was unbearable. The bed was just a basic double. Cheap flat pillows. No hair dryer!

The evening meal was quite good however, quite a contrast to the breakfast, a buffet which had been well depleted and not restocked by the time we ate.

This is all such a shame as the external appearance of the buildings and grounds are lovely. Loads of parking and to be fair the lounge area is quite nice. Sort all this out and this could be a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
LukeKendall001, General Manager at Chimney House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

The room you stayed in was recently refurbished and looks out onto part of the gardens. The country road is approximately 100 metres away and I have never had a noise complaint here before however I have looked into this. All our rooms are roughly the same size apart from our suites, family and executive rooms, these were all fully booked when you stayed. Hair dryers are located in the desk and extra pillows in the wardrobe.

I am please to read you enjoyed our dinner and you liked the gardens. Certain items did have to be re-stocked on breakfast due to the high volume of guests we had in that morning but I am assured that the time this took was minimal but please accept my apologies if there was a slight delay.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here for a friends wedding and had a great time. The buffet food was great and the venue very impressive, particularly the location to the Motorway (without the noise) and the gardens. Parking is great too.

However, the rooms are a little dated. They give off more a 3* rather than 4* appearance. Furniture, curtains and the bathroom could all do with updating.

Having said that, the staff we encountered were polite and friendly and the room and hotel was clean and very well presented.

Point to note: The drinks were VERY expensive!! I suppose this is normal for wedding venues but still, I did feel a bit robbed!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
LukeKendall001, General Manager at Chimney House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear Hols_and_meals,

I am very pleased that my team were able to welcome you so warmly and take care of you so efficiently during your friend’s wedding . I will be certain to pass your kind words on to my restaurant , kitchen and housekeeping teams . In terms of our bar prices at Brook Hotels we try to keep our drink costs in line with all the other local hotels and we regularly review them to ensure we are providing the best value for money to our guests . Like most hotel groups the refurbishment of our properties is continuous and on-going and we will begin to renovate some of our older rooms in due course .

I do hope you can visit us again in the very near future so you can enjoy our hospitality once again.

Luke Kendall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandbach
De Vere Cranage Estate
#3 of 9 in Crewe
Hollin Hall Hotel
Hollin Hall Hotel
#5 of 8 in Macclesfield

Been to Chimney House Hotel? Share your experiences!