“Lovely meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Steak and Kebab - CLOSED

Steak and Kebab
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Steakhouse, Bar, Barbecue, Grill, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The New Steak and Kebab has a deliberately stripped back menu based around grilled food with specials available subject to availability. Its drinks list is equally uncomplicated.The emphasis is on Good Times in Good Company. The atmosphere is very informal and easy going. Live acoustic guitar may be playing over the weekends.You are welcome to just have a drink with us, possibly with some nibbles or decide to eat from the menu if you wish.We are currently opening Thursday, Friday & Saturday with the kitchen taking orders from 6pm until 9.30pm for food. On Sundays we have a brunch menu from 11am until 2.30 pm as well as the Grill menu.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Lovely new year meal. Chef should be congratulated. The presentation of food and taste was 10/10. I don't know where the negative reviews were coming. Will certainly go back again.

London
“A duplicitous meal out”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My family and I have been patronising the PVR (and beforehand the Steak and Kebab House) for many years, safe in the knowledge that the food and service is always excellent. We called to book on a Saturday night in December and the lady taking the order actually answered the phone with "Prestbury Village" so we assumed it was business as usual. How wrong we were! Our first suspicions were upon arrival outside noticing the change of name and sign. Once inside we were greeted nicely and shown straight to our table where we were offered a laminated card menu that would have been more in place at a fast food restaurant. The menu has now become a mismash of pizzeria / pasta with a concession to the previous owner's best sellers, albeit not cooked nearly as well.

As we were already there and hungry we decided to give it a go. The starter of devilled kidney and black pudding was without kidney (unfortunately they had run out at 7:30 on a Saturday night) and was no comparison to the "old favourite" under the previous ownership. Ditto the calamari, which was served cold and was extremely rubbery, to the point of being almost inedible.

On to the mains: Another "old favourite" of Lamb Henry was again a disappointment, the meat was well cooked but lacked the flavour and imagination of previous visits. The piece de resistance, however, was the pizza. Considering this restaurant is now apparently an Italian I have never eaten worse pizza. Both the two ordered arrived on an anaemic, stodgy, base and the toppings were very average. I cannot believe these were freshly prepared on site, the bases looked and tasted distinctly like frozen dough just heated up. We've had better pizza from the frozen section in a supermarket.

Overall we were extremely disappointed with the evening, not least because we expected to be eating at the PVR. If they'd have told us when we were booking it was now a pizza / pasta bar and grill we would at least have thought twice about coming.

Very poor: 3/10

5 Thank Chris S
england
“Disappointing”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Have been visiting this restaurant since its days as the Steak and Kebab and more recently the Prestbury Village Restaurant (PVR). Always been extremely happy with food and service. When we phoned and booked the table we weren't aware until we arrived that it had changed ownership. The menu has retained some of the old favourities with the addition of Italian dishes but in our opinion the food and service did not meet the previous standards and it's unlikely we will visit again.What a shame after all those years.

2 Thank tomcat1
“Lovely evening, great food, highly recommend!!!!!”
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Having read previous comments about this restaurant since ownership has changed, I thought it would only be right to express my personal experience- as we had such a lovely evening! We booked a table for the party night on Saturday 8th Dec for 7 of us! Upon arrival, we were asked if we would like to go straight to the table or sit by the (well decorated) christmas tree and have drinks- we opted for drinks first! After our drinks we were then seated at our table by a lovely girl (I think her name was Nicky?) and we were then presented with the menus. I chose gnocchi for my starter, which was cooked superbly and was full of flavour! I would highly recommend! One of my friends had the calamari, which I had to try as the chefs personal flair on this dish was so different to what was expected! Delicious! For my main I had a chicken pasta dish, which also surprised me, as the pasta was home-made and they had filled their own tortellini, this came in a creamy sauce with well presented, colourful balls (vegetables)... A lot of preparation, time and effort had gone into this dish to not only make it taste good, but it was also pleasing to the eye! Other dishes which were ordered were, the lamb Henry (an all time favourite with the regulars, we were told, and we found out why), steak, which was cooked perfectly to the preference of my friend who likes it blue! And of course there were a few pizzas on our table, with home-made bases! Although we were full, we decided to share a few desserts, only now do I wish I had my own! I was highly impressed with the banoffee pie, sticky toffee pudding and a trio which included a pimms shot! The DJ for the party night also played some good christmas songs, and overall we had a superb night! I hope other people have the same experience we did and I shall definitely be back again! Thank you to all of the team at Sapori!!!

2 Thank Laura G
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Come back PVR........”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Following the news of the change of management and with some trepidation we visited the restaurant we have been frequenting for some 20 years. This was a Friday evening some 2 weeks before Christmas so the expectation was for it to be lively and busy. The flier said there was music and dancing which did not seem to sit well with what we had always known the PVR to be (or Steak & Kebab as it is loving known by everyone). It had always had a busy atmosphere even during the week. We considered cancelling the booking since it was made some time ago, before the change of management, oh how we wish we had! The sofa area beloved of us all was now given over to the disco. It took a while for anyone to recognise that we had arrived and those clientelle that were there were in our age group, the over 60's, which was not the age range the PVR usually attracted. We sat waiting for a drink and menus for over 20 minutes, no other customers arriving so being run off their feet was not an issue and in the end we had to go to the bar to get someone to take our order. The wait for the starters proved to be very long, they were nice, but were cool and did not have the depth of flavour the description on the menu promised. The main had the potential to be good but again was cold. We were asked by one of the waitresseshow things were and said everything except someone's chicken dish was cold. We will take a bottle of wine off the bill they said. That's fine but wouldn't hot food have been much better? Service was very slow and the Italian maitre d (the new owner?) was for the most part no where to be seen, even following our complaint, and you would have thought in these early days he would have been trying hard to establish a relationship. No bread & butter and extra for vegetables what has happened? We left at 11pm, and had been virtually on our own for nearly an hour. Oh how times change!! Overall a great disappointment. We appreciate things move on, but the loss of an institution such as the PVR is sad and its replacement could have been so good, with what was a loyal clientelle.

3 Thank tonyredding1948