“family lunch favourite” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prestbury
stockport
“family lunch favourite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have just had lunch with parents celebrating there wedding anniversary, having been many times we knew what to expect. The gentleman who welcomes us from the car park is charming, and this kind of service is a welcome change. The food offer of two meals plus a bottle of wine for £33 is amazing value in this area. Whilst this is never fine dining its trying very hard! The house salad went down well, as did my Plaice dish. On the negative the Eton mess was abysmal. On occasion some of the staff can be a little rude, passing plates over the front of you, holding glasses by the rim rather than the stem, mostly though, they work hard and smile at all the right places.
On the whole these points do not detract enough to stop us going, we would recommend, and we will return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bridge1952, Owner at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to send us your review. I am glad you enjoyed your Lunch with us, however I feel I must respond to your comment regarding the Eton Mess. Whilst I appreciate that it is not a 'Traditional' Eton Mess, it was our excellent pastry chef's modern take on it, which encompassed all the elements of a 'Traditional' Eton Mess, presented in an elegant manner. I myself have tried this, and can honestly say I thought it was delicious. I am very sorry that it did not live up to your expectations, but please be assured I have passed your comments on.
Your feedback is important to us, and I will also act on your additional comments.
Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have just had our wedding there on the 17th may and it was the most amazing day.The food was fantastic and every member of staff were brilliant .It is a family run hotel and that is apparent in the attention to detail . We have been many times before to enjoy the mid-week three course meal and wine offer which is phenomenal value . A special thanks to Ken Adrian Alex Julie and Adam , in the fact,as I said whole, of the staff.Ultimate praise must go to the owners for maintaining high standards but in a such a friendly unobtrusive manner. So many of our guests said it was the best wedding they had ever been to and we have relived it time and time again. Thank you for great memories.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cheadlemanchester
Bridge1952, Owner at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
It truly was a fabulous day wasn't it, and we hope you will cherish the memories forever!
With all our best wishes,
All at The Bridge.
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

This has been our favourite place for a meal for a while but we had never stayed here before last Saturday. We were not disappointed; we had a lovely meal and it was great not to worry about taxis etc. The service in the restaurant was excellent; the staff always remember us and are very friendly. The menu was varied and I was spoilt for choice for my main course and dessert. The lady at reception that greeted us was efficient, warm and friendly and chatted as she showed us to our room.

The room was spacious, clean and had all the necessary items, apart from a bottle of water which I personally would prefer instead of tea & coffee but most places provide both. I have to agree with some of the other comments on Trip Advisor regarding the rooms needing updating; particularly the old fashioned suspended ceiling. All in all though only minor criticisms which did not spoil our meal or our stay. I would definitely recommend The Bridge to stay and for a romantic meal. The resident singing duo are just right and provide the perfect ambiance.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynda H
Bridge1952, Owner at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time & trouble to send us your review, I am glad you had an enjoyable stay here, and appreciate the comments regarding the decor. I trust we can welcome you back again soon.
Rochdale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at the Bridge Hotel when attending a relatives wedding. It's a really nice hotel in a lovely setting, made even more so by the good weather. The room was large as was the bathroom, it was clean, smelled nice and had an ironing board, iron and hairdryer which was useful.

As part of the wedding party we had an afternoon meal. Although the meal was nice and the chicken tasty, it was very basic. Unfortunately, the serving staff left a lot to be desired. We found them to be surly and a little rude. The same can be said for the bar staff too. They should also be told not to serve cold drinks in warm glasses !! Especially when the drinks are a little expensive. The hotel may be in Prestbury, but we're not all fottballers wives !!

I could not fault the breakfast; there was variety and plenty of it (although the toast was cold..but it's difficult to keep toast warm at the best of times).

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rochdalecowboys2010
Bridge1952, Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to write a review. I was very sorry to hear that you were less than happy with some aspects of the service you received; I will act on this and hopefully you will return and we can make amends.
Flensburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

On a business trip my hosts booked a room in the Bridge Hotel. It is located next to a church, so the church bells will let you know the actual time every hour. Apart from that I had a very pleasant stay. The room was nice and clean, the bed was cosy, and a flatscreen TV is standard nowadays. We had dinner across the street in one of these typical british pubs, but the breakfast at the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Balou18
Bridge1952, Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Many thanks for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Taken to the Bridge for afternoon tea on Mother's day, but have lunched here countless times in the past. Staff always friendly and professional. Afternoon tea was delicious and very good value, too much to eat! Only criticism was the scones were fruit scones, my whole family dislike fruit in cakes etc so we all had to pick it out! Waitress said chef would have made them plain for us, but no one asked our preference. Will go again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Horsham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have known the Bridge Hotel for over 40 years, first for my university graduation dinner and over the last ten years for both accommodation and meals. The slip in standards over this time has been gradual but definite, and our last stay for two nights in June 2012 will probably be our last. We had booked two nights and requested an a la carte dinner for three for the first evening as we were entertaining a local VIP.

We were met at reception in mid-afternoon by a young man who was obviously having 'words' with his girlfriend and his manner was very curt and unhelpful. We were offered no help with luggage and struggled up to our room in the old part of the hotel above the cocktail bar.

The decoration was tired and the soap and shower gel in the bathroom were in containers screwed on the wall - so no chance of stealing a bar of soap then !! We had tried the newer accommodation block on previous vists but found it too cold and very impersonal.

On enquiring about dinner, having requested an 8.00 pm reservation we were told to discuss it with Alex, the restaurant manager, who I have known for many years. We were told that all tables were taken as there was a 'special deal' and the best he could do was a table in the cocktail bar at 9:30 - absolutely no good for us. So after a few quick telephone calls we dined at a new restaurant in the centre of the village and very nice it was too.

Having a quiet word later with Austin, the car park manager, he as good as told us that the Bridge was not the same as it used to be. An opinion with which I heartily concur.

Room Tip: I cannot recommend a good room, but I have been in quite a few poor ones.