“Too pretentious for Prestbury”
Review of Bacchus

Bacchus
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Prestbury
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Bacchus is a Modern British Restaurant(with a hint of European influence) Serving the Best of Locally Sourced Quality Produce
London, United Kingdom
“Too pretentious for Prestbury”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

On arrival to the restaurant, the Hotel staff did not bother to walk over to greet me and I was left waiting for 5 minutes, before I decided to find someone to serve me.

Eventually I was offered a table, but by a rather unfriendly individual, who seemed to act as if he was more important than me. Weirdly as a customer, I should be the most important.

After being seated it took an eternity to get service, despite only having two tables in the restaurant..... After further chasing, I got the wine menu and managed to order a some wine and starter.

Whilst waiting I was served a canape which was tasty. The wine was served in a crystal decantor which was a nice touch but rather unnecessary, considering it was a small bottle of wine.

The wine was a lovely premium bottle of South African red, which was well selected by the restaurant in my opinion and was the one experience I enjoyed.

I ordered a fillet of steak from the confusing menu. On arrival of the steak it was served with beef cheeks which I was rather dismayed about. The fillet was over cooked and I did not enjoy the cheeks. The veg was nice but the mash was not to a great standard.

The service was very slow, the restaurant is dark inside and just seems to be trying to hard with it's menu and service. If everyone would just relax a little, serve more humble, well cooked food with the current wine list and improve speed and delivery of the service, everyone will have a great time.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Matt P

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent Restaurant”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We visited Baccus for the first time last night to celebrate my Daughters birthday and had a really lovely evening. I was impressed, from the time I made the reservation right through to leaving the restaurant. The atmosphere was relaxed ,the decor and table presentation tasteful .
The welcome was warm ,and the service excellent . We chose to have the set menu , with some variations , which did not seem to be a problem , and every course was delicious . The wine list was varied and included reasonably priced but good wines as well as some excellent lager for one of our group . On booking I had said that it was a birthday celebration ,and a really nice touch was a delicious cake ,complete with candles presented at the end of our meal. Altogether a first class experience , I will be recommending Baccus to friends and will definitely be back.!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank mag599
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent restaurant”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a superb restaurant right in the centre of the village, where the staff are welcoming and friendly. The set menu is very good value and is available on Tuesday to Thursday evenings. The a la carte menu has lots of choice and the desserts are delicious. Whether visiting lunchtimes or evenings the same level of service can be enjoyed. Fr anyone who hasn't tried this restaurant it is a must!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Jackie P
“The 39 Steps of Prestbury!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

As a regular diner at 39 Steps in Styal, apart from the surrounds, you would be forgiven if you felt some de ja vu! The menu & wine list is virtually identical. Fortunately the extensive choice & quality of the food was generally similar. We had the scallop & smoked salmon as starters with the venison & sea bass for mains. All good though the fish was a little disappointing. The South African red wine was excellent. The service is a little quirky & we were in the private room which was ok but the main restaurant looked more inviting. Still prefer 'The 39 Steps'!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Chris4efc
Horsham, United Kingdom
“BEST RESTAURANT IN THE VILLAGE”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had to change restaurant quickly after a spoiled booking at the Bridge and the Bachus was ideal as it was no more than a few minutes walk away. It is an ideal position in the middle of the village and almost opposite the Norman church.

We were entertaining friends and chose the a la carte menu with champagne to start and good wine throughout the meal. It was not cheap but much better than recent experiences of meals in the village. The pricing on the menu was a llittle confusing but easily sorted out in a few minutes the following day. We would have returned the following evening but decided to try the Legh Arms, which was not nearly as good and a bit of a disaster as we were entertaining a local VIP.

I would be happy to visit Bachus again, all we need now is a first class hotel in the village !!!!

• Visited June 2012