“Great food and fantastic service”
Review of The Duke of Portland Ltd - CLOSED

The Duke of Portland Ltd
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We went here recently and enojoyed a fabulous family meal.
For starters most of our group chose the delicious home made duck spring rolls. I opted for the pigeon breast on black pudding and califlower puree which was lovely.
For main course a couple of us had a gressingham duck, wild mushroom and truffle oil linguine which again was excellent, although seemed almost an oriental noodle dish than pasta. The others opted for the rib eye steak which was very good. One was slightly over cooked but the staff came over to check on this. There was also a great children's menu with proper home cooked food and my three year old son really enjoyed the generous portion of home made chicken goujons and I helped him enjoy what is quite possibly the best mash potato I have ever tasted.
The staff were very attentive and friendly.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Went on the recommendation of a friend. Unfortunately I wasn't as impressed as she was. We were all disappointed with the food; I don't think we'll be going back. A shame as it's a lovely place.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Saturday lunch, fairly quiet at first but an hour in we were glad we'd arrived early. Good atmosphere, helpful and friendly staff and the food, as always, did not disappoint even though we used the sandwich menu as well as the a la carte menu. Portion sizes good, presentation good and definitely value for money. Its good to see the speciality evenings on offer and I'm sure we'll be joining you for moules Monday very soon.

2  Thank TravelBag13
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We went to this gastro pub early on Sunday evening . It was fairly quiet but the ambience is pleasant. The staff were courteous and polite. We were asked if we were going to dine when ordering the drinks and if we wanted a tab set up. The menus were brought over to where we were sitting and we were able to place an order and stay there until our food was ready.

I ordered the belly pork with frites and coleslaw and my partner had the duck linguine. Do you ever feel as if you made a really bad choice when you look at somebody else's meal? I had that experience! My belly pork wasn't crisp at all and as belly pork can be, consisted of fat with meat in between and looked decidedly off putting. I love real pork scratching but had to scrape even the top layer off this belly pork. The frites were also pale and in need of a little bit longer in the frier. My partner's duck linguine was tasty and a better choice (I had some of that too) but not really hot when it came out. Maybe it had been waiting for my frites?

We had a coffee and and ordered blackberry sorbet which actually turned out to be icecream but as I was so hungry I wolfed it anyway without comment.

The staff were polite, efficient and lovely. Shame about the food.

2  Thank amanda c
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Once again just enjoyed another meal at the Duke of Portland and was thoroughly delighted. The staff were as pleasant as always, a large choice on the menu and excellent value for money. Will be returning in the very near future