“A touch of class”

Davenports Tea Room
Ranked #2 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Northwich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Awarded the Top Tea Room in the UK by the prestigious Tea Guild Inspectors. Seating up to 55 with 25 additional seating in the tea garden. The tea room is Alice in Wonderland themed due to being only 2 miles from Lewis Carroll's birthplace. A family business established in 1947 though the same family has traded in Northwich since 1928. Specialising in afternoon tea, with over 38 loose leaf teas and a wide range of artisan coffees, delicious home-made cakes and a good selection of delicious home-made light lunches. Themed events such as Mad Hatters Tea Party, Victorian Christmas and Halloween evening make even more special reasons to return. Booking in advance is highly recommended to avoid disappointment, but you can drop in for a tea and cake especially on a sunny day after cycle ride or a lovely walk.
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous views, quaint decor, interesting shop. Gorgeous food all sourced locally. Very friendly staff.

1  Thank Jane C

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived at Davenports around lunch time on a Sunday in early September. We were on a UK road trip and found Davenports completely by accident and it was a great find!

This is a place that you must have reservations. We didn't and we were very lucky to have been given a table. We didn't even need to wait, although the every table was file over the course of our hour visit.

The tea room is absolutely charming. We sat side-by-side on a love seat near the dessert case and our tea was served on a rolling cart. We found our spot to be very cozy and it also provided a great vantage point for people (and food) watching.

We ate scones and Victoria Sponge Cake with our pot of house blend tea. It was all delicious and I wish that we could have had a more full meal experience.

Service was friendly. They were very busy and service was a tad slow, but we didn't mind as this shouldn't have been a rushed experience.

Davenports was a great find and if I ever had an occasion to visit the area again, I would definitely go back...with reservations!

Like my review? Visit my blog!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

second time been to Davenports and can not fault it at all .
everyone is friendly and helpful and the classic afternoon tea for 2 is a must to try also really enjoyed the mad hatters tea
The tea room its self is small and quaint and full of character with lots of Alice in wounderland that i love

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Visited today after hearing about Davenports . My husband and myself were really looking forward to a treat. What a big disappointment. We arrived at 2.40pm and went to the tearooms and waited around 5 mins till someone arrived and we asked if there was a table for two. The girl went to see and then came back and took us to the table which was in the very back room. We passed 3 other tables that had customers . We looked at the menu and saw that afternoon tea had to be booked 24 hours in advance so thought we would settle for a pot of tea and a scone. After 15 mins a waitress came to take the order of two ladies on a table behind us and said to us " i will be back in a minute" . Another 10 minutes went by and she came back to take our order for us to be told that we couldnt have a scone as " all the scones had been allocated " !!! We settled just for tea. 15 minutes later our tea arrived.. It had take aproximately 45 minutes from entering the tearooms and getting a pot of tea. As I stated there were only 3 other tables with customers so not a busy time. While we were waiting for our order to be taken and our tea to be served we had time to look round and study our surroundings. The wooden dresser at the side of us hadnt been dusted in quite a while . The shelf beside us had crumbs on and cobwebs. The skirting boards are badly marked and dont know when they had last been wiped down. The table we sat at had a glass top that had just had a cloth wiped over it and was smeared and the tablecloth underneath the glass could have done with a press. The tea when it arrived was excellant but we felt very let down and disappointed with the service. On leaving we went to the till to pay our bill and again waited to be attended to. the waitress came from another building drinking a bottle of coke and looked at our bill. Another lady waiting at the till asked about having tea outside and the waitress stopped attending to us and took her order instead and then said to us that the staff in the shop would serve us. !!
I work with the general public and pride myself on my customer service in fact my job title is Customer Service Expert so I have some insite into what level of customer service is acceptable and sorry to say but Davenports didnt make the mark. At no time did anyone explain to us why we were waiting so long. Surely this is just common courtesy . It was baffling as I said there were only 3 other tables with customers in all the rooms.

8  Thank carter3156
DavenportsNorthwich, Owner at Davenports Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

It is a long time since we had so few customers in at 2.40pm in the afternoon, as my diary would demonstrate, not to mention drop in customers. I'm also surprised if you a customer service expert that you would use a review site to give feedback, especially when we offer a customer comment card.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

we booked the award winning afternoon tea a week ago because they were fully booked when we popped in....have to say it was well worth the wait!!! we were shown to the alice room which was busy but cozy and warm....lots of chatter coming from the other tables and as we have quite a lot of afternoon teas, my friend and i waited in great anticipation. it was a presented beautifully with a choice of sandwiches and lots f gorgeous little bite sizes cakes. the waitress showed us a menu with a choice of teas...but went for one called "kazuma" it think....lovely. the service was bit slow but it was extremely busy and we weren,t bothered because we enjoyed a game of chess and relaxed...which was the whole point of the afternoon for us. afternoon tea shouldn,t be rushed and we weren,t ushered out to bring n the next lot in. loved it.!!!