“Our first afternoon tea experience - and not our last”

Davenports Tea Room
Ranked #21 of 116 Restaurants in Northwich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Awarded the Top Tea Room in the UK by the prestigious Tea Guild Inspectors. Seating up to 55 with 25 additional seating in the tea garden. The tea room is Alice in Wonderland themed due to being only 2 miles from Lewis Carroll's birthplace. A family business established in 1947 though the same family has traded in Northwich since 1928. Specialising in afternoon tea, with over 38 loose leaf teas and a wide range of artisan coffees, delicious home-made cakes and a good selection of delicious home-made light lunches. Themed events such as Mad Hatters Tea Party, Victorian Christmas and Halloween evening make even more special reasons to return. Booking in advance is highly recommended to avoid disappointment, but you can drop in for a tea and cake especially on a sunny day after cycle ride or a lovely walk.
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We went to Davenports for a little treat today and were not disappointed at all. The food was excellent, service very efficient and polite and overall a great (if a bit pricey) experience.

Not being a typical 'afternoon tea' type (myself and other half are in our early 30's) we didn't really know if we'd like it or not but once the tray came out we knew we'd made a good call dropping in here for the afternoon.

We're already planning our next trip, a Victorian themed Christmas visit in December, and are looking forward it already.

1  Thank Mark P

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Visited as one of a group for afternoon tea. Large and interesting selection of teas. Food excellent, the little cakes are to die for. I loved the selection. Unfortunately the pots of tea arrived some considerable time before the sandwiches and cakes were served. Once we had finished these we had a very long wait for the scones. I enquired where they were as I thought we had been forgotton. By the time they arrived my tea tea was cold. Scones, jam and cream were very good but I would have liked to have a hot cup of tea with them.

1  Thank Jill M
DavenportsNorthwich, Owner at Davenports Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Jill M visited us as part of a local WI group and the whole group told us how much they had enjoyed their Afternoon Tea experience with us and both I and the organiser were blown away by Jill's comments. We have always explained to our customers that although our home-made scones have been timed to come out of the oven just prior to the arrival of the afternoon tea booking, we will hold them back to keep them warm and customers are to advise us when they are ready for them to be served. This is exactly what was done with no delay as written in Jill's review. Jill did mention on the day that she herself had chosen to hold back her tea as she preferred to drink it with her scone and that this was her own mistake not ours as she hadn't told us when we took her order. Although we weren't obliged to, we did offer to make her a freshly brewed pot and she refused. To go on to write this review in this way is very damaging to us and completely unfair. We work hard to ensure that every customer enjoys their experience with us and if we have failed in any way, it is important to hear about it at the time so that we can do something about it there and then. Responding to any complaint in any format takes time which in a small business is very precious and would prefer to invest that time in ensuring that our customers get a great experience.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have driven past this place a few times on our way to the Hollybush Inn, always saying we will have to try it. Today we decided to pay a visit.
When we first arrived we were pleased as it reminded us of Kittys Tearoom which we have visited quite a lot when up in Scotland. All oldy worldy with proper china cups, knitted cloths over the sugar etc. We weren`t shown to a table, just told to take a seat anywhere.
We looked through the menu and saw they did afternoon tea and thought we would have this until we realised you have to order 24hrs in advance. My husband then saw a cheese platter, this again had to be ordered 24hrs in advance to bring the cheese to temperature.
The menu stated that sometimes you didn`t have to pre order the afternoon tea, so I thought I would ask. However we waited that long to have our order taken we decided against it.
I wouldn`t mind but the place wasn`t busy, a man on his own and another couple who arrived the same time as us. The the owner brought a couple to a table who had pre ordered an afternoon tea and then seemed to be more interested in seeing to them rather than the other people who had been waiting.
We eventually ordered, a latte, a java coffee, tuna sandwiches and welsh rarebit. The rarebit did look nice and my husband enjoyed it but the sandwiches were abysmal, 2 slices of bread cut into fingers with the crusts trimmed away and they charged £6 for the pleasure.
I wish we had just gone to the Hollybush Inn. We were quite disappointed and both said we won`t be going again.
If they had been more customer focused we would visit again but I doubt this happening. Its such ashame really as the place itself is lovely.
Also having to pre order items isn`t good if you only happen to stumble across the place.

2  Thank debboop
DavenportsNorthwich, Owner at Davenports Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

I am very disappointed that you didn't speak to us first before writing your review as at no time did you mention any problem with your food or service. Customer service is paramount to us. You came in on Sat 13 October, just before 1pm, the same day as you wrote the review, you sat at table 19 in our Queens room and I do remember you both and your reference to Kittys Tea Room.

The vast majority of our customers come as repeat customers or recommendation, which would suggest that they have found us to be focused on customer service and quality of food, which is our aim.

Any business can experience short staffing, although we try to minimise this ever happening sometimes it does and this was the case on Sat 13 October when you came in. We were extremely short staffed with only myself covering taking orders, servicing that order and delivering that order, my other staff member was preparing food, and my husband was out delivering wedding flowers that he had prepared, so until he returned, we had two choices, close, or carry on but explain to customers the reason for the wait. Obviously unexpectedly being closed is likely to cause more upset than advising customers of the situation and giving customers the choice of whether to stay knowing the potential delay.

Our tea room is not one room, it is three rooms, plus outside seating at the front of the building and at the side of the building and we can seat up to 75 people, therefore to comment on the one room that we weren't busy is unfair, particularly as we were extremely busy that day.

As we are not on the high street and therefore cannot guarantee consistent afternoon tea orders (our afternoon teas are a selection of special individual mini cakes not just sliced cake out of the cabinet). This avoids wastage, ensures that we have appropriate dietary products, allows us to provide individual choice of sandwich fillings and scones, which is why we ask for 24hrs notice. We do not ask for 24hrs notice for cheese platters, the menu states "Pre-ordering is recommended to allow the cheese to reach room temperature and so enjoy the best flavours" You have clearly misread this.

Your sandwich was a"Sustainable tuna mayo with organic mayonnaise" sandwich on Devonshire Bakery bread with a side salad and if taken up dressing. As we market ourselves as a quaint old english tea room, we cut the crusts off and cut them into triangles, as this is what our customers love and come back for and at £5.85 this represents good value for money.

All our customers are important to us and I am sorry that you found it necessary to express your disappointment in this way as had I been made aware on the day I could have done something about.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I may have visited Belinda's tea rooms on my own yesterday but I've taken many friends there over the past 5/6 years, none ave been disappointed. Initially I happened to come upon the place purely by chance, a very fortunate find. During the time I've been going, there have been quite a few changes, mainly to accommodate the increasing business in the tea rooms. The size of the shop has reduced as the tea rooms have grown in size. The one thing that hasn't changed, however, is the friendly service. You can still buy very good produce in the shop which also has an excellent selection of bottled beers. I've ordered almost all my food, for the Christmas period, from Davenport's over the last 3 festive seasons.
Belinda's husband, Ian, runs his very popular florists as well as helping out in the kitchen.
The food at Davenport's Tea Rooms is home made from first class produce and the teas are simply devine. I had lunch there yesterday, a delicious stilton & broccoli soup with fresh bread followed by potted shrimps and a pot of Kwazulu tea.
Phone up the day before and order a full high tea. It's as good as those that you'll get in posh hotels such as the Shelborne in Dublin, which is famous for its high teas (and yes... I have been there and had "tea"). The scones are made fresh every day, and as good as you can get, the jam is not the usual supermarket rubbish and the cream proper cream. The cakes are amazing.
Don't expect an in and out, 10 min experience, quality takes longer.
Belinda is a member of the Tea Guild. She has an outstanding selection of teas and coffees on offer.
I went to Betty's in York last October and was very disappointed with their "full high tea". It wasn't half as good as Belinda's, and their Kwazulu tea was a pale shadow of what I have come to expect each time I go to Davenport's for a treat, and it's not round the corner for me I live over 20 miles away!
Not been to Davenport's yet... Tut tut! Get the car, or bike, or walking shoes out and experience a real old fashioned treat.

2  Thank John F
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Four of us yesterday celebrated our friends 95th Birthday with an "afternoon tea" at Davenports. We all thoroughly enjoyed the food, the relaxed atmosphere and and helpfulness of the staff.

Many thanks once again.