“Certainly gone downhill foodwise.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Kingfisher

Kingfisher
Ranked #61 of 103 Restaurants in Northwich
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Alsager, United Kingdom
“Certainly gone downhill foodwise.”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I used to LOVE the Kingfisher when I lived in Northwich and used to go regularly.

Went for a friend's birthday the other week and we disappointed in the food quality. For me to look at a savoury menu and to not be able to fine ONE dish that screams "I have the wow factor" speaks volumes!

Some very odd combinations....... Red Thai salmon served with rice (sounds ok so far.......) AND chips????? What on earth?????

Had a creamy mushroom starter - I could just about taste the mushrooms behind the saltiness of the dish. Had a beef brisket for the main - the beef was lovely, but totally ruined by the most pathetic excuse for sour cream that I have EVER tasted - I'm sure it was just mayonnaise with a hint of flavoring - to call it bland doesn't even come close!

The caramel cheesecake was nice, but nothing to write home about - the best bit of the meal was my coffee!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Cat_Mad_1984

Northwich, United Kingdom
“I'm a criminal?”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Ordered some drinks and payed with a £20 note. Was given change for a £10. Come back tomorrow after we've counted the tills. Went back and got my money without an apology or admission of mistake. Left a terrible taste in my mouth. People make mistakes everyday which can be cured with a smile, gesture or sincere apology. I make my way to a pub with a little more atmosphere these days.

Visited March 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Just excellent!”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Decided to dine here having been in for a drink a few months ago and liked the atmosphere and the look of the menu, We took a chance by popping in at 6pm on a Saturday evening, without booking, and were lucky enough to find a table, even though it was very busy.

Before going on with the review, I just want to say how lovely the atmosphere at the Kingfisher is. As I said above, it was very busy when we arrived and became more so as time went on. There were groups, pairs of friends, couples and numerous families with young children which, in other venues, might have conspired to create a rather hellish experience! However, the staff at the Kingfisher were definitely doing something right as people were being seated quickly, orders taken and tables cleared so that there was a buzzy but relaxed and friendly atmosphere - quite different to many gastro type pubs I've visited, which attempt to cater to all and fail miserably!

Anyway, the staff who served my husband and I were all really friendly and efficient. Our drinks came promptly (and contra to other reviews, the glasses were sparkly clean!) and our food orders taken. I chose from the specials menu and my husband picked from the Artisan section on the main menu. The food was excellent! I had butterfly chicken in honey and mustard sauce on bubble and squeak with seasonal vegetables and I have to say this was possible the nicest pub meal I have ever eaten. Everything was hot and fresh and the portion was generous (a little too generous for me actually!). My husband's meal was similarly well received. Our drinks were replenished quickly and when we asked for the bill - shock horror! - that actually arrived promptly too!

We will definitely return. Thank you Kingfisher for a lovely evening!

• Visited January 2014
cheshire uk
“Great food, good atmosphere”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The Kingfisher food gas improved dramatically in recent months and a new menu was introduced before Christmas. Not sure if it's a new chef, better quality produce or a mix of two but they're doing something right, excellent pub grub with good presentation.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank ouzo09
“Drink whilst waiting for a takeaway”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We went for a quick drink on Saturday evening as our takeaway would be 20 minutes.

Plenty of staff behind the bar but lots of dirty tables and areas reserved with no one sitting at them.

Children running around waiting for an accident to happen.

After 10 minutes the dirty glasses were moved but the table was not cleaned.