“Trip hazard/take care trip advisor visitors”
Review of Cheshire Falconry

Cheshire Falconry
More attraction details
Owner description: Cheshire falconry offer hands on bird of prey experiences , to take up the Gauntlet and fly Owls , Hawks and Eagles in the heart of the Cheshire Counryside
Reviewed April 14, 2013

When visiting the aviary enclosure 13 April 2013 myself and two friends were captivated with the snowy owl from the artic. My attention was taken in seeing this beautiful bird but as I stepped away I fell to the ground because of a trip hazard. The ground has a steep downward incline which is square in shape ( I wish I'd taken a photo) with a circular hole at its base, which is possibly a drain.
I recovered from the shock and went to speak with the person who was at the pay desk on entry. I fully understand that todays culture of claim and compensation is commonplace but I do wish this employee had had some customer service skills in dealing with my fall , shock , and injury. I am fine apart from some bruising, but my request to him was that something would be done about the uneven ground and trip hazard. Sadly the poor man could only offer the explanation that they had been recently inspected by the zoological society and have had ramps fitted at doorways. How this observation was relevant to my fall was beyond me. I was asked if I would like to fill in a accident form which I did, but have no doubt it was only offered to make my anger be diverted from the incident. I also wonder if the form duly signed will find its home in the waste paper bin.
So Mr Steve Birchall owner of above, while you provide a suitable home for birds of prey please train your staff to deal with injured customers in a more appropriate manner, even though you may fear being sued.
And finally and most importantly please rectify the trip hazard and uneven ground in the aviary, before any other visitors who are not as understanding as myself suffer a more catastrophic injury and who do place a claim of compensation.

Stevebirchall_11, Owner at Cheshire Falconry, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for reporting the incident at Cheshire Falconry , may i first offer a sincere apology on behalf of Cheshire Falconry regarding the incident on your visit , health and safety is very important to our company . the incident is already being investigated , i hope you will visit our collection of Birds of prey again and enjoy your time here ,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was bought as a birthday present for my nine year old daughter. Although we are both very keen bird watchers she was a little nervous. Andy, our falconer, was fantastic and put her at ease straight away, she was thrilled and loved every minute! So much so she is desperate to go again (and I have come home and dropped some very large hints for a birthday treat!!). I would recommend this to anyone, well worth it!

Stevebirchall_11, Owner at Cheshire Falconry, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

thanks for taking part in our Junior Owl Experience , we hope you will come back soon to take part in other hands on flying experiences at Cheshire Falconry

Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I had a truly outstanding day at Cheshire Falconry. First, I'll deal with a couple of common objections to doing this type of thing, then I'll come back to the positives.

Objection 1: "I'm not interested in birds." No, neither are we. But you don't have to be interested in birds, let alone a committed ornithologist, to get something out of watching and being close to these magnificent creatures.

Objection 2: "I don't want to hold a Russian Steppe Eagle on my left arm, within pecking distance of my eye and my mouse-like ear-lobe." A fair point, which crossed my mind as well. However, this is not even close to being a potential issue. First, the briefing from the falconer was clear, comprehensive, and reassuring. Second, the birds have each been trained over a period of years, and are used to flying onto and off different people's gloves. Third, they're far more interested in the piece of chicken used as a lure than they are in a person's face - we are, after all, a lot bigger than they are. Finally, they're not stupid; they've 'read the memo' and understand that following the routine leads to plenty of rewards. Unlike some humans, they don't go needlessly looking for trouble. The day we were there, a dozen people with no prior experience of the birds were handling them comfortably in no time at all. They are, quite simply, not threatening. Unless you're a rabbit.

And now the positive stuff.... The falconer (Andy) was outstanding. His passion for the birds is palpable. His knowledge of birds of prey is encyclopedic. His instructions were invariably clear, as was all the information he imparted throughout the day. As for the birds, until you've been close to them you can only guess at how awe-inspiring they are to be around.

There was plenty of 'quality time' with the birds. In the morning we shared the experience with ten or so other folks, and yet still had lots of opportunity to get each of the six different types of bird on show that day onto our gloves. In the afternoon there were just five of us along with two falconers and two hawks out in the woods, so there was all the handling time we could want. In between, a hearty home-cooked lunch was made available at a cafe a couple of minutes' walk from the Falconry.

To sum up: you don't need to have any interest in birds to get a huge amount of pleasure out of being close to these magnificent animals in the company of somebody who knows them intimately and cares about them passionately. Go and do it!!

1  Thank Steve H
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I purchased the eagle experience for my husband and 15 year old daughter for my husband’s 60th birthday. We didn’t know what to expect and we certainly were not disappointed. What a fantastic afternoon we all had, including myself, my sister & brother-in-laws who were spectators. Lucy our falconer for the afternoon, was not only knowledgeable and funny but her love and passion for the birds clearly shone through making it a most enjoyable day. In all they flew 6 types of eagles and I’m sure we will be talking about this experience for many years to come. We will certainly recommend this to all our friends as a must on a to do list.

1  Thank AdeleR_13
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I bought this as an "experience" for my husband's birthday - for the two of us naturally! There were just four of us in the group (another couple who had driven for two hours) on a cold, damp Sunday morning. There is a covered area if the weather is bad. We enjoyed the talk/information about each of the birds and the falconer was a very well informed lady (Lucy?) who gave us all sorts of interesting facts and figures. There were a couple of owls - a barn owl, and an African spotted owl, plus a Harris hawk, Bateleur eagle, Buzzard, and one of two more. Back at the aviary we were privileged to see up close a Golden Eagle - this is a heavy bird to have on your arm and weighs in at eight and a half pounds. A lovely day, a marvellous experience and beautiful birds.