“Day out with the Birds of Prey”
Review of Cheshire Falconry

Cheshire Falconry
More attraction details
Owner description: Cheshire falconry offer hands on bird of prey experiences , to take up the Gauntlet and fly Owls , Hawks and Eagles in the heart of the Cheshire Counryside
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I went on one of Cheshire Falconry's full day falconry experiences. The morning session consisted of handling and flying a selection of birds in the demonstration area, and in the afternoon session the group took two Harris Hawks into some nearby woods (a local Scout camp) to fly them in a more natural environment. Both halves of the full day are available as separate half day experiences.

The group size for both halves of the day seemed reasonable and everybody got ample opportunity to handle and fly the birds. The staff were knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and answered the many questions that people had.

I thought that the selection of birds in the morning session was diverse and interesting. It contained both British and foreign species, and the chance to handle a Bateleur Eagle was a particular highlight for me.

Lunch in the café was included in the full day experience. The food was pleasant enough, fairly typical for this kind of place.

I would recommend Cheshire Falconry to anyone with an interest in birds of prey, and I'm seriously considering buying one of their other experiences myself.

1  Thank AndyC00

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Did the full day falconry tour. Brilliant. Especially liked the walk about into the scouts forest where we flew the birds in their natural surroundings. Got to fly all the birds. Really good experience

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Our party went on the 'full day falconry experience' as 2 participants and 2 spectators. The morning consists of 2 sessions flying birds in a group with a leader. My opinion was that the group was a little large, but some may not find that an issue. After lunch which was taken in a cafe on the site by voucher redemption, our party went out with a Harris Hawk and the leader on a more extensive walk in the woods. As we were the only 4 people, this was more rewarding, and one did feel that you were getting to know the bird. The leader was informative and was willing to answer any questions on the background of falconry.

If I was asked to recommend any changes, it would be that in the morning session, that somebody else brought the birds down to the arena rather than the leader having to go back to base and fetch them himself while we sat around for 10 minutes. One last point. Having paid almost £300 for the day for the four of us, I couldn't believe that the company charged us an extra £1.50 to send our tickets to us in the post.

1  Thank PeterLanky
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had the Falconry Day Experience and what a day ! The morning was started by meeting the birds, then a short walk to the display arena where I got to handle all the birds that were taken down, flying to and from the glove - wonderful ! A nice cuppa was laid on and then back to the arena for another session of handling the birds ! Lunchtime was in the on-site restaurant and then it was back to meet the birds AND as it was an horrendous day ( weather wise ) I was the only one on the afternoon Falconry so it was me, my partner ( the photographer ) Joe the Falconer and The Harris Hawk. I had the pleasure of this Hawk the whole afternoon, flying to and from the glove the whole 3-4 hours in the Cheshire countryside. An awesome experience, the team are fantastic, a definite to put on your list of things to do without a doubt.