“Excellent Food in friendly and comfortable surroundings”
Review of The Holly Bush Inn

The Holly Bush Inn
Ranked #33 of 119 Restaurants in Northwich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Holly Bush Inn is one of the oldest pubs in the country dating back to the 16th Century. The Inn and Barns Accommodation are situated in the Bartington Green Conservation area. The area covers only 2.04 hectares and is the smallest conservation area in the Vale Royal Borough. There is a Grade II listing on the barn and pub, which was previously a working farm. The Holly Bush is a privately owned public house since 1993. The pub has recently been refurbished to restore the traditional thatch roof, provide a larger restaurant area and to convert the barns into 14 luxurious en-suite non-smoking bedrooms, now with FREE unlimited Wi-Fi internet connection.
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Having just returned from Holiday and having submitted a review on Trip Advisor I decided to take a look at the Holly Bush reviews.

As usual with most establishments the reviews are very variable. Now either the food is extremely variable or the customers attending are! It is of course the latter!

Having experienced the Holly Bush's menu's and food for quite some time I can honestly say that we have never experienced a poor meal and the prices are all very reasonable. The staff are all very attentive, service is quick, surroundings perfectly clean and comfortable.

What more could you want or ask for? Some people seem to think they are too good for a "pub meal". Well, I suggest they go and pay double the amount at some "top class" restaurant where the food won't taste as good but they can boast about how much it cost them!

My advice to anyone who hasn't tried the Holly Bush is don't hesitate, try it and you will be delighted.

Karen & I will be renewing our regular visits shortly along with a few friends who also love the place.

2  Thank maldives77

Reviewed September 5, 2013

A quirky pub from the outside and the bar area is different from most big pubs BUT the restaurant is tired and lacking atmosphere. Definitely needs some background music as it was just so quiet and we could hear the lady on the table about 6ft away crunching on her goujons! We found ourselves whispering to each other it was that quiet.
I ordered the pork in a mustard sauce. I had three thin slices of pork, which were nice and tender, but a bit on the stingy side; they were swimming in a balti steel bowl full of sauce and accompanied by mashed carrots and cabbage! Mr Ramsey might have had some comment to make on that!
The service was good but the restaurant was just lacking ambience; bright lights and no background music and an expectation to see tumbleweeds rolling across the room!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Have eaten at the Holly Bush on many occasions and can honestly say we have never been disappointed. I am coeliac so finding suitable gluten free options can be a nightmare. Holly Bush have their GF options clearly marked on the menu which is invaluable. Tasty food, reasonably priced and always a warm welcome!

1  Thank jackieyoung1884
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed two nights at The Holly Bush whilst visiting RHS Tatton Park flower show. It is a lovely traditional pub/restuarant with very comfortable, well presented bedrooms. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed very good breakfasts and evening meals. There was a good selection of real ales available, and a pleasant garden with a bouncy castle for children.
We thoroughly recommend this very good value establishment.

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We were staying in the area for a wedding and decided to try the holly bush for an evening meal the night before. The buildings look beautiful and we were very excited when we sat down and looked at the menu. There were lots of vege options for my wife which is always a bonus.

I ordered lambs liver with bacon and onions and mashed potato and my wife went for vege lasagne. Both of us were incredibly disappointed with what arrived. The liver was extremely overcooked and like rubber served inexplicably in an Indian balti dish. The gravy was like chip shop gravy and the mashed potato was dry, lumpy and grey. The vegetable selection was just a few carrots and overcooked peas. My wife's lasagne was some strange runny slop laced with mountains of cheese that had separated and was also served in a balti bowl for some reason. Once she had got through the grease on top she played hunt the vegetable. It was incredibly disappointing.

For pudding, I had fruit filled pancake and selected an apple filling. The filling appeared to be tinned as it was a thick sweet syrup with an occasional apple chunk in it. I was expecting some lovely fresh apple chunks and would have loved that. My wife's sticky toffee pudding was the best thing we ate although it was fairly standard.

Overall, the place looked lovely and we were so hungry after travelling a long way and arriving just before 9 that we had to eat there as it was too late to go elsewhere. It's such a shame because with a bit more love this could be fantastic. It has a lot of character. The only part we enjoyed was the service from the waiter who was considerate and kind and worked off his feet. It wasn't his fault our food was poor but I'm sure he must bear the brunt regularly.

I definitely wouldn't go again. Shame.

1  Thank The_Deeths