“Lovely food great service”
Review of The Cheshire Cat

and 1 more site!
The Cheshire Cat
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Recently went here with an old friend and the food was fabulous we had tapas style dishes and were OK to eat it in the bar area rather than the restaurant every dish was gorgeous and I really liked it definitely planning to go back for a full meal soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
TheCatAtNantwich, Director at The Cheshire Cat, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to review our food, it’s great to hear you enjoyed our tapas style dishes in our bar area. We look forward to welcoming you back to dine of our main menu very soon!

There are newer reviews for The Cheshire Cat

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Firstly, I would ignore the review on the 13th March by joepix...that looks like a dodgy review from a competitor and since they have only made 2 reviews both with the same title I would ignore it.

My wife and I are both mid-40's so we are not kids, however we felt right at home (we didn't feel like the oldest swingers in town either!) and the place itself has so many nooks and crannies that it is one of the most uncorporate hotels we have ever stayed in.

It is a mixture of old and traditional and new and contemporary and it suits the place well. It is centrally located, right opposite two indian restaurants and an Italian so you are not far from other pubs and bars.

Our room was number 1 accessed via the courtyard and looking out on to the car park. The bed was comfortable (even though it was 2 single mattresses it was one of the best nights sleeps we have ever had) and the room was decorated really well and was very clean.

There was a seperate bathroom / wetroom which was clean also however only quibble is here that we would have liked a bath.

Breakfast was fantastic upstairs above the atrium and again, just one small quibble in that we were not offered any toast but still, one of the tastiest breakfasts I have ever had.

On a final note, some of the bar staff weren't great but a special mention for the young guy who seemed in charge. On our night (Good Friday) he was wearing a grey shirt and really knew what he was doing as well as being polite and courteous - he is a real asset to them and others should take note of how he does things.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
TheCatAtNantwich, General Manager at The Cheshire Cat, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Thank you for your feedback - I feel it is a fair reflection on The Cheshire Cat and we appreciate you taking the time to post a review on our hotel. We have recently invested heavily in the refurbishment of the bedrooms and other parts of the hotel and restaurant and so it is heartening to see that our efforts are being noticed!
Our breakfasts get really positive comments from both hotel guests and regulars coming in for breakfast and brunch - I don't think anything can quite beat a well-cooked English Breakfast in the morning!
I take on board your comments with regards to some of the bar staff. We have had a number of new employees join us in recent weeks and although they have undertaken a training programme I think some of them still need a little more time to increase their confidence. We will fully support them on this. William, the Duty Manager you refer to, will be really pleased to hear your high praise so I will make sure your comments are passed on to him.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Cheshire Cat in the near future.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed here over the weekend with my boyfriend. We came from Manchester to Nantwich to excape the city life and couldn't have had a better stay! The hotel was fabulous. It was quaint yet trendy and modern. It was lovely and clean and the staff at reception very friendly and helpful. We were so hungry when we arrived that we ordered room service whilst sorting our bags out which arrived reasonably quickly and was lovely. We then went for a look around Nantwich which is a beautiful historic town.
Upon returning to "the cat" as we gathered locals call it we sat in the patio outside which is a real sun trap and enjoyed the weather we had over the weekend. Brilliant atmosphere and lovely refreshing drinks. We ended up staying in the bar area all evening and it got very busy which we loved.
Comfy beds and tasty options for breakfast. My boyfriend went for the full english which he said he enjoyed and I had the fresh frutis, pastries and cereals that were on offer.
Brilliant weekend all round and we did not want to leave! We will definitley be returning and I also want to return with my girl friends!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

We’re really pleased to hear you had such a great stay on your recent visit to The Cheshire Cat – thank you for posting your comments. We feel we strike the right balance between being a listed building with all its quirks and history, and a modern hotel offering a comfortable stay for a reasonable price – so it’s good to hear you think so too! I’m pleased you also enjoyed the atmosphere in our bar, I’m not sure if you ate with us also but if you didn’t make sure you do on your next visit – our new menu is getting some fantastic feedback.
Thank you for taking the time to review us at The Cheshire Cat. We really appreciate your comments and look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Me and my wife stayed here this previous weekend as we were attending a Christening locally.

First impressions, car park at the rear was big with plenty of spaces and included in the price.

Walking in we thought what a lovely place. The reception area shares with the bar so you walk into the pub. It is very nice inside. Our friend checked in no problem but unfortunately for us they lost our registration card / reservation. The three guys behind the bar struggled at this first hurdle to be honest. I think none of them could have been 20 years old and I believe herein lies the problem - a total lack of direction and management.

After ten minutes one of the guys suggested we write our details down on a blank piece of paper and he would transfer the information over later in the day. We were then taken to our room. Unfortunately upon opening the door we were greeted by a complete mess. The room had not even been made up yet (2.45 p.m.). The member of staff said "Oh" and paused for a moment to think what to do.

This was quite annoying as we had all our bags to manage plus our suit, trousers and dress all hanging off coat hangers. We had to walk back to reception to be given a "temporary room". We were given number 4 and the member of staff assured us he would move us when the room was ready.

To be quite blunt this room was shocking. It was nothing like the room we had previously been shown to and nothing like the room our friend was staying in. As you walked in the door almost hits the bed it's that tiny. Even worse than this though the shower area is open plan with the toilet just sat there. This is not even seperated by a door so if you are sat on the toilet then the person in bed can see you - totally degrading and not acceptable in my opinion by British standards.

As we had a Christening to go to we decided to get ready and go for some lunch in the bar. Lunch was good with plenty of choice. The downstairs restaurant area quite nicely decorated. The Budweiser on draught was horrendous. I had a bottle later in the evening.

After the Christening I returned to the hotel to enquire about my room change. The member of staff told me he didn't want to inconvinience us with the move. I insisted for the reasons mentioned above - they obliged and moved us back to room 6 which was lovely. The bathroom completely seperate and had a door! The room felt very cosy and the bed was very comfortable. We were happy and could relax as we went to the evening due for our event.

We called back to the bar for a drink later in the evening. It is ideal for the younger crowd, we enjoyed it.

For breakfast in the morning we were shown upstairs by a nice lady. Upstairs the restaurant is decorated beautifully. The cooked breakfast was nice, however we were informed that we would receive no baked beans as they had run out. I don't know how this is possible and the person responsible for stock ordering should be disciplined. The cooked breakfast was not the same without them however we still enjoyed it.

Check out was a breeze. It is a shame this place can only be rated 3 stars. Had it not been for the problems we encountered and the shocking "room" number 4 then I would have certainly awared 4 stars no questions asked.

As I mentioned above, I think the only problem they need to rectify is a lack of a manager to take a hold of the place and get things sorted.

I would say in closing that yes I would be happy to return in the future but I would strongly ask for a room on the higher floors. Room 4 should be closed off to the public until the problems it has are sorted out.

Room Tip: Avoid room 4 like the plague!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2011

After a shopping trip to Chester we stopped at the cheshire cat for a light bite before the journey home. There is plenty of parking and the place is very large but split into smaller rooms which makes it feel less commercial and more personal. They do a one course for £6 at lunchtime and two course fo r£8 but we decided we all wanted chips (I know naughty) so we opted for sandwiches all served with Chips the brie and bacon came in just under £5 and consisted of one slice of brown bread, bacon and brie melted on top. It made a lovely light lunch and the chips were lovely. Worth a visit but not somewhere to drive to specifically to eat.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2011

The building is esentially in two bits with the bar and restaurant at the front in an adapted period building with the hotel rooms in a new building behind. Just as well the hotel is separated as the bar and restaurant has a nightclub feel and noise level to match. We ate in the restaurant as part of a family group and the noise level gradually got louder such that by the end of the meal any conversation was difficult. Food was however excellent as was the service. The breakfast was served in the restaurant and was excellent with good choice and generous portions to suit the even the most hungry. The bar was heaving and extremely noisy with very loud disco music playing making it hard to hear what the bar person was saying. It is a young persons pub and it was certainly popular with them but not good if you are looking for a quiet drink and conversation. The room we had was modern but a few things not quite right such as light bulbs that didn't work and wardrobe doors which weren't working. There was a thermostat to set your own level of heating but we presume that it was underfloor heating which took ages to make any difference in a cold room. Parking is free behind the hotel for patrons but is in a public access area.

Room Tip: Room location is away from the noise but best choose a room on the first floor as the revellers occa...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blandford49
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Stayed at the "Cat" as part of a work trip. It's an old, quaint building that they've updated (think animal print furniture in the pub) and added a set of modern rooms in the back. Somehow the melding of modern and quaint works in the remodel.

The room I had the first night was a typical small European room but tastefully appointed and very comfortable (with an inviting bottle of red wine and a sign that said "Open Me"). Bed was comfortable and the only down side of the room was the combo shower/toilet. The slant of the floor meant that water from the shower pooled around the sink and toilet. I had to take a towel and push the water back over to the drain, which wasn't fun.

I got a great 10 hours of sleep my first night and missed breakfast. The staff were very sweet and offered to make me a bacon sandwich (ham for those in the States). It was tasty, with a cappuccino and an orange juice. We didn't eat in the restaurant but thoroughly enjoyed the cozy pub every night!

They were full the second night of my stay but I quickly came back to the Cat the following night and was put in a different room. It was similarly decorated and nice except it smelled strongly of smoke. Not sure if the rooms were supposed to be non-smoking but, of course, the smell didn't leave even with airing out and my clothes all needed to be washed upon return.

All-in-all the Cheshire Cat was a great little hotel and inn!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
The Crown Hotel
The Hunters Lodge
The Hunters Lodge
#3 of 9 in Crewe
Best Western Crewe Arms Hotel

Been to The Cheshire Cat? Share your experiences!