“Lovely Hotel and Lovely People”

Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Reviewed September 13, 2009

After booking our first ever coach holiday to this hotel and then looking at the reviews we did not know what to expect. On arrival we were met on our coach by a receptionist who handed out arrival packs with keys etc rather than have to register in the reception area. We were in our rooms within 5 minutes of arrival and our luggage followed about 10 minutes later. Our signature room was located on the ground floor and had a small patio area outside the fench doors. The room itself was large very clean and the bed enormous and very comfortable. We were allocated a table for two which was ours for the duration of our holiday for both eating and watching the entertainment. What we saw of the entertainment was ok. The food was very good with good variety at each course. Yes the majority of the guests were older than us (we are 55) but we had some good conversations with them. We went for a quiet relaxing break and we achieved this with plenty of space in and around the hotel to do your own thing and with the added bonus of no children being present. Will definetely return to this hotel and other warner hotels following the recommendations of our fellow guests who had visisted them.
The only downside was the high price of a bottle of wine to have with your meals.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Referee9
Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed September 4, 2009

I can appreciate this hotel isn't for everyone; you have to be able to read between the lines of the adverts in my view to understand what's on offer. I wouldn't imagine it's ideal for the under 50s/40s. We're just into our 50s and really enjoyed it. We were there Bank Holiday weekend last week, with my mother who is in her 80s. Food was good, not cordon bleu, didn't expect it to be. Plates were hot, pet hate of mine is hot food served on cold plates.

The golf seemed very popular, though it's not my scene. The staff worked very hard, and whilst almost reluctant to single some out - drum roll - I will, Robert from West Bromwich was very good natured and hard working and, think it was maybe Holly, the 'Essex Girl' was also very entertaining. Bob Roberts and the band were excellent too.

We are early 50s, but we're still into keeping fit, and the gym/pool/wet/dry room facilties are very good for us. It also cheers me up the amount of dancing the visitors get up to. For a weekend break complete with entertainment, and without the hassle of airport travel that a city break entails, it's ideal for us.

Drove into Nantwich, which was a very nice market town. If it wasn't for the fact we weren't leaving until the Monday, there was lots of food I'd have bought to fill up my freezer. Definitely a town that lacked chain stores, which is a good thing imo.

We had a good offer for a Signature room upgrade. Shower was probably the best shower I've ever had in my life, though the controls initially put me in mind of NASA. My mom had a single room, it was basic, but that's what you tend to expect with single rooms, they're seldom good value in comparison to double rooms, imo.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Mountino
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Booked a Royal room which was scruffy with a scruffy en-suite. Average age of clients 70 to 75. Food was poor being bland. Meal served to your table but if you wanted vegtables with it you had to queue up at the buffey for them (cold food by the time you got back). Staff were great. This Warner Lesiure hotel is misrepresented on the web site as it should say it's for the elderly. I can't stress enough that this hotel should be avoided at all costs by anybody under 65. It felt more like a nursing home than a hotel. If you have ever seen 30 or more infirm elderly people queuing up for their breakfasts and dinners you will know what I mean.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank otley100
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My family recently stayed for 2 nights. Late afternoon I had a letter under the bedroom door stating that a new carpet was to be laid that evening overnight. Our room was over the area to be recarpeted. The hammering was so loud that we couldn't sleep. No complaints procedure but told to leave a comment on the form. Apparently this 'hotel' never closes for renovations, it just inconveniences guests. Be warned.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank travellerWestcountry
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My wife and i booked in for 3 nights to see the ABBA fever showcase. This was great, but the inhouse entertainment was much better. This should have been the star turn. Food was good, waiter service was also good. The bad points were the room (chalet) was like a 1950's Butlins room. Small, old fahioned, very dirty and paper thin walls. Putting a flat screen T.V. in a room does not make it modern. The house keeping team were very poor, they would just take dirty towels from the bath and re-fold them and hang them up to be used again.
I would recommend the entertainment team but not the hotel or its accommodation.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank theTruthMidlands
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I recently booked a 4 night break for my Husbands 40th. The brochure looked fine & we hadnt tried Warners before. We arrived & thought we were in a nursing home, bitterly disappointed. Our room (signature was great, spacious & comfortable). We upgraded when we arrived at extra cost. We were allocated a table in the restaurant, it resembled a works canteen, no personal touches whatsoever. The guest who sat right next to me was unsteady on their feet & almost fell onto me every time they got up or sat down.
We queued for buffet style food which was average, very bland. The food served to your table was a little better, everything was rushed & the canteen was extremely hot.
The saving grace was the spa, we used the facilities there as it was very relaxing, clean and hardly any persons there.
The whole experience was expensive and poor quality. Warners should advise that it is for the more mature adult, brochure very misleading, very disappointing.
I tried to complain & the manager was uninterested & suggested we should have gone to Thoresby Hall as Alvaston Hall was for older guests, where does it say that?

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Samjack9
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Weekend break with wife, brother and his wife and elderly (87) mother (who fitted in quite well with the age of the clientelle) Although the rest of us are no spring chickens (between 55 and 60) we did feel out of place. Food was good but dining in a large hot room similar to a school canteen was not what I expected given the reputation of Warners. When booking we had specifically spotted that there was a Glenn Miller weekend which seemed to suggest that the band were playing on the Friday so we also arranged an all day trip for the Saturday. Found out when we arrived that the band were ONLY playing on the Saturday. Not only our group of 5, but 2 other couples were under the same pre-conception. We did sit down and talk with the management who have given some options/discounts for a revisit and they did say that they would get the brochures changed. So a word of caution when booking themed weekend breaks and confirm that the dates for any entertainment are checked.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Dogsbs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
The Cheshire Cat
#5 of 5 in Nantwich
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Alsager Manor House Hotel

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!