“Xmas 2013”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Xmas 2013”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

So this is (i think) the 4th Xmas I have been to Alvaston for the Package from the 23rd to the 27th with my brother and dad.... And what a difference a year has made!
I'm adding this review as no one has yet done a review of the new Restaurant/Cabaret - and its fab! Why more hotels in this country don't follow this concept I don't know... The layout is now far better than in the old one, and is plush, spacious and has a great view from all angles and levels. The funniest bit in here was when my brother ended up on stage as Martin Daniels magicians assistant on Xmas Day - he is mortified, despite it been really funny!
The staff as ever were fab, helpful and many worked right through from early morning till after dinner. The brand new lounge is equally gorgeous - it just felt strange sitting in what last year was where the squirrels stole all the bird- feeder nuts! Both the restaurant and lounge are brilliant additions that modernise the hotel - and the new bedroom block looks like it will be gorgeous too.

Only reason for not giving 5 stars was that this time I had the smallest single room I have ever stayed in (difficult to put anything down or store a suitcase etc as no room to do so, and not helped by having to place a portable heater in there as it was chilly despite radiator been on) and that for the most part of Xmas Eve and Xmas Day there was no wifi at all - and lots of people do rely on this for contacting others over xmas, rightly or wrongly, as well as general surfing and entertainment, game playing etc. All was better by Boxing day with it i think (by then I had gone out shopping for the day anyway!)..

We already have booked again for same package next year (so that says it all anyway) - think next year will be far busier though with the addition of the new 100+ rooms.... its now a far better hotel than it ever was before! And I think they will attract lots of new 'regulars' in the next couple of years!
Thanks to everyone who looked after us! See you on 23 December 2014!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Niks99
Alvaston W, Guest Relations Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am so glad you had a great Christmas break with us. It is lovely to welcome back so many valued guests to Alvaston Hall every year. Its like one huge family and it is great to know that you have had such a good time that you keep coming back to see us every year.

I hope you had a great New Year and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
Worcestershire
Reviewed December 6, 2013

This was our third visit in under twelve months, and wasn't as good as the other two visits due to the extensive work being carried out. Our room was too close to the marquee which was erected outside for meals and cabaret, and the very loud night porter was chatting all night underneath or room. The next morning I asked if we could change rooms and straight away we were given a much quieter room, and the move was all done in just over half an hour. Our meals were good as usual and were piping hot. The cabaret was to it's usual high standard, but as we were sitting near the back of the room, we had difficulty seeing. The Almost the Bee Gees were really good and created a wonderful atmosphere. The new Grove Dining Room opened the day we left and promises to be really good. I will return to Alvaston Hall the same time next year when all the work will be completed and all the amenities will be restored. In spite of all the work the staff did a wonderful job of making sure that everyone had a good time.

Room Tip: We had stayed in the main house when we were here previously, but found The Limes rooms were lovely.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BillyBigelow
Alvaston W, Guest Relations Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very glad that we could move you to a quieter room after having a noisey first night.

I hope you managed to have a sneaky peak of the new Cabaret Restaurant before you left as it is beautiful, and why not try one of our brand new rooms when you come back and visit us. It would be lovely to see you again.
UK
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I suppose it is a real test of a hotel if it is one giant building site and yet your holiday is still absolutely brilliant - this was the case at Alvaston. We were eating and being entertained in the giant tent - although we were told that the new dining/entertainment area would be operational in a few days (and it looked fabulous as far as I was able to tell). The construction of the new accommodation, additional leisure facilities, landscaping etc. will not finish until June 2014 however.When all this is done 5 stars are going to be wholly inadequate.

I have commented in reviews of different Warners (Bodelywddan, Nidd) that their big problem is that they are not Alvaston; staying there again re-emphasised this for me. The key issue (and never more-so than when on a 'Turkey and Tinsel' break which we were) is the staff. This is not to say that I have anything negative to say about the staff at the other resorts, far from it, but the staff at Alvaston are just so exceptional. This is true of every area - reception, cleaning, restaurant - but most especially of the entertainments team. The entertainments team are the vital heart of any Warner's holiday and at Alvaston the musicians are better (both drummer and keyboard player are of an extraordinarily high standard),the singing is better, the staging is better, the dancing is better and the compeering is better. I know this kind of judgement may be harsh to the other resorts but one has to have some honesty on Trip Advisor. The result is that the shows are much better - for instance I have seen Warner's 2013 show 'Dream Lover' 3 times in 6 months, and it might therefore be expected that I would be a little bored (not being a fanatic for 50s music) by this 3rd time; however the Alvaston production was so good that on the contrary I was spellbound. The Musicals evening produced - quite rightly - a standing ovation. And I am going to specifically mention the astonishing vocal talent and potential of the young singer Lauren Morgan who has developed amazingly in a year (and she was fantastic last year). I would happily pay a fair sum to see her in concert so to be able watch her from a few feet away for free (well as part of the price!) is a wonderful bonus. I would advise everyone to book in to Alvaston just to see her before she departs for stardom (not that I want her to!).

Over and above all this technical virtuosity however Alvaston's entertainments team work a peculiar sort of alchemy whereby over the course of 4 days a genuine feeling of community emerges, which make one full of genuine regret at the communal sing-along which is the culmination of the last evenings entertainment. All the staff play their part in this but I think that the leadership and brilliant compeering of Iain Dale must attract a special mention for he has an ability to generate warmth and companionship which cannot be taught or bought.

Did I enjoy this holiday? Umm yes if you didn't guess. Can't wait until we go back in May and then next November to see the changes. And I have never felt that about any other hotel - a location yes, but for the hotel itself never. All it remains to say is thanks to everyone at Alvaston.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank milordbyron
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is wonderful to hear such great reviews for Alvaston Hall. I know that all the team are great and we are really proud of them, they have a very special way of making our guests feel part of the family.

Of couse I shall make sure all of our team have read your review of our Hotel, and even though we have been through some challenging times, we have still made your holiday.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in May.
lichfield
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Just returned from another excellent weekend with friends at Alvaston Hall. We'd read the earlier reviews and so might have been a little concerned. But we had no reason to be. The temporary marquee for the Diner-Cabaret, politely called 'The Tent' by the resident entertainment team, will be a thing of the past when you read this review. For the record and to show our appreciation to the team the dinners and breakfats in The Tent and the weekend's entertainment were of the usual high standard. Only those staying at the hotel will get the significance of Regina whose presence alone provided several running gags. The after-dinner cabaret in the newly styled Fountain Bar was good and the drinks reasonably priced. The welcome on arrival was good and we were soon esconced in Room 197 in The Limes - see our advice below, plus my photo of sunrise from one of the windows in this dual aspect room. We looked on enviously at the new Grove Cabaret-Diner to be officially opened on Monday 2 December 2013 and a quick tour showed us what a delightful addition it will be - again see my photo taken as the fit-out was being completed. For those in construction, Pochin have 'done a great job', as they say. Finally, we'll be back next year and that should be a recoomendation it itself. Well done to all the team from start to finish.

Room Tip: Room 192 - The Limes. Dual aspect as I said in my previous review. We opened the door to be amazed t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is lovely to hear all the wonderful comments regarding your stay with us, and what a beautiful picture of the sunrise.

I am glad you got to see the new Cabaret Restaurant before you left, as you said, Pochins have done a great job. We are now looking forward to when all our new rooms open, if they are anything like the new Restaurant, they will be stunning.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Alvaston Hall soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Michael buble weekend. Alvaston Hall is a building site. Should have been shut down for refurbishment could no way meet usual standards of warners and this did not reflect on the price clients paid.Rooms 163 2nd floor and another few on that side had faulty showers and were dirty. We sent dirty side plates and cups back and the food was just about warm. We were unable to see the show as there was no real stage. The marquee was cold and during the show a number of people left because of the fumes from the heaters. The staff are coping. so well under the pressure of complaints. We and another couple had to wait nearly an hour for a sandwich to be delivered at lunch time. Best to keep away until June/july when I am sure it will be back if not better to its usual standards.

Room Tip: 187 room good as was166 2nd floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I would like to apologise that your stay with us did not meet your expectation.

I have passed on all of your comments to the relavent departments, who will take them on board.

We are very proud of our team and know they are the right people to take us through the challenging but exciting times we may have in 2013 and 2014.

I hope that we can welcome you back to Alvaston Hall at some point in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Earlier in the year we had a short break at Alvaston Hall.
We were horrified to see plans to extend it enormously, making it too big and plastic. We were also concerned at the amount of building work it would involve, and while guests were in situ. Other people staying at the time had already booked to return that summer and were horrified as they had not been warned of the building work.
We decided we definitely would not go there that summer as we were concerned it would be a building site and from reviews we have read, we were correct; it sounds appalling, particularly for midweek breaks with workmen starting at 7,30am, not what one wants on a relaxing holiday. And to our amazement it still seems to be going on.
We were shocked to find that the Courtyard rooms were now charged at the same rate as the Ambassador rooms. We were told that this was because they had been upgraded, but they are still very small and pokey and now even worse as with the new rooms they are dwarfed and much darker and have lost their natural appeal.
The meals are not particularly what one would expect from a good hotel, particularly the poor service, mainly self-service and very slow for those items served at table – obviously economising on the number of staff. In addition at the end of the meal tea and coffee are no longer included, but have to pay extra for it. Tea and coffee have always been served at the end of the meal. Plus the new way of charging separately for the meals (thus reducing the discounts offered) brings into focus the unwarranted charge for the meals, definitely not worth the price and certainly not value for money. Very penny-pinching and run by accountants rather than hoteliers.
From the brochure one is given a certain expectation of what is on offer at Warner and much is made of the Warner experience, but it cannot to be believed. Warner have standardised the evening shows (presumably to save money), which is a bad thing since people visiting different sites do not get different shows but ones they have already seen; yet with the dancing etc there is no consistency and so people like us who want to dance cannot be sure there will be any.
Warners seem to just be taking advantage of a captive returning audience. They almost have a monopoly for those people wanting holidays with entertainment and no children. However, we have now found a number of other ex-holiday camps similar to the Warner coastal holiday villages, but with better entertainment, cheaper and much better value, so we would definitely recommend other people considering Warners to try them. We now just need to find alternative inland / country sites – any suggestions gratefully received!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Warrington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I booked this weekend over one year ago we knew then that there would be building work going on during our break, however we were happy to book the break it was weekend commencing 8th November. We checked in swiftly and efficiently and had booked a royale room. The room was beautiful very clean indeed with a walk in shower the hotel had put in a cute little Christmas tree which was a lovely touch. The hotel is undergoing major building hence the meals and entertainment were transferred to a marquee. Our table in the marquee was situated at the back hence we could not see the team shows at all which was a disappointment to me, my husband and I gave up trying to view from our area and retired to the lounge bar which has recently been refurbished which new seating and lovely warm fires. The temperature in the marquee was very cold at night we were near to the big blowers which were im assuming the heater system one minute it was warm the next minute you were freezing cold, at times I sat with a big throw around me, however in a morning it was like sitting in a sauna! The food im sorry to say was not as good as we have had before at Alvaston Hall, possibly because of the the work in progress. The entertainment on Saturday evening were very good The Beat Legends a 60's band everyone enjoyed their slot. So I am hoping that once the work at Alvaston Hall is finished their high standards will return because im sorry this visit we were disappointed. One thing that I forgot to mention 3 days before our break began we received a telephone call from Alvaston Hall reception to say that we had a reserved car park space called Dorfold due to our room being the Dorfold Suite. When we arrived we found the car parking spaces were very limited and the space we had been allocated did not exist! We parked in a normal space (there were very few left) and mentioned to the car park attendant our query about the space his reply was well are you parked because there aren't many anyway you are lucky that you have one, strange answer really. So to finish Warners it may have been better to close to guests for a few weeks than for guests to leave feeling well could have been better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Claire V
Thank you for taking the time to post you review. I would like to apologise that your stay with us did not meet your expectation.

Our temporary venue was mostly a success, however I do understand that this was not to everyones liking. We also make sure that every room we sell to our guests has a car parking space. It has been brought to our attention that there are one or two Royale rooms that do not have a reserved space as they should do. This has now been rectified, and apologise that this was not done sooner.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to Alvaston Hall at some point in the future, and you can experience our brand new Cabaret Restaurant, along with our brand new rooms that will be available from July.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
The Cheshire Cat
The Cheshire Cat
#5 of 5 in Nantwich
Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Alvaston Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!