“Disappointing”

The Star Inn
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had lunch in the Star with friends based on the rave reviews on here. We must have been very unlucky or our standards are high.
On the plus side the pub is appealing, comfortable and the staff friendly.
It was almost empty at 1pm on a Sunday! The menu is very limited and based on steaks.
We did not order a starter but waited nearly 40 minutes for our meal. The portions were small and the chips were soggy and not at all hot. My wife's gammon was slightly burnt on one side.
The sweets were excellent I have to say although I didn't have one. I ordered a coffee but it never arrived. At that time we were the only ones in the place - 2.30pm.
Sorry but this does not seem to the same place as people have been giving rave reviews.. Was the chef on a day off I ask myself?
Sorry but wouldn't go back to the Star...

THESTARINNACTON, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

I am deeply sorry that you did not seem to have the experience we like to give here at The Star. As you were aware, whilst waiting for your friends to arrive, we had a full restaurant as the lady who came in to write our chalkboards jumped in to help. It is true when your friends arrived the other early customers had already eaten and gone, (they know how quick we can sell out!!) but the bar on the other side of the building was buzzing with walkers and dogs. They know they can eat in the bar side and keep their four-legged friends at their side. It was because of this that we sold out of our roast dinners by 2pm and so the kitchen was busy, although this is no excuse for you seemingly having to wait nearly 40 mins for your food. We do cook everything fresh and that can take a little time but I apologies for this and will review with the Chef how we can speed things up without dropping on quality. As for the standard of the chips, I find it difficult to understand how this could have come about as we are well known for the quality of our chips and this is the first time I have been informed that they were not up to standard. The coffee was my mistake as I was very busy on the bar at that time and offered the coffee to you when your guests had finished their dessert and for that I am sorry. I do hope that this one time when we have failed to come up to your expectations does not put you off from coming again as you stated in your review and as a gesture of goodwill I would like to extend to you an offer to pay what you think its worth on your next visit. Please take me up on this as I would like to show you what we can do and leave you with the good impression we like to give all our customers. Call The Star on 01270 625067 to arrange this and I will personally ensure you are not disappointed next time. Thank you once again for your comments and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Mervyn Bishop

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend came to this lovely country pub for my birthday meal. As soon as we entered the restaurant we were warmly welcomed by Mervyn. The food was absolutely delightful, one of the nicest steaks I have ever had. The restaurant itself was warm and cosy nice to relax and enjoy your mouth watering meal. After the meal we went to the bar side and enjoyed a drink whilst we enjoyed the music of a folk band. Staff were attentive and very friendly. I would highly recommend this pub to anybody that enjoys a great meal for a fantastic price.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

This pub has a fantastic atmosphere with great wines and a variety of local ales. The sort of place you could feel comfortable in popping in for an hour on your own as everyone is so friendly and the fire will be roaring away! But on top of that, it serves some of the best steak you will ever of tasted and is excellent value as well as fantastic quality. We are lucky to have this great place as our local. It is well worth a visit.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Having just arrived home I felt necessary to write my review only hours after spending a great night at this lovely little pub. Enter the bar area, and you are overwhelmed by the great atmosphere coupled with the warmth of the log fire. Friendly staff and one of the nicest steaks I have ever eaten. Nothing seemed too much trouble and from a selfish point of view I hope that this place never gets too busy as I aim to eat here on a regular basis, and I would hate to be told they are full. Thanks to the Bishop family for all their hard work.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Gems are normally very rare and very expensive! This one is certainly the former but most definately not the latter! Great steaks very reasonably priced. 10-16oz Rib Eye, 16-32oz T-bone, fillets & rumps all perfectly cooked accompanied with fresh handcut chips, onion rings, mushrooms & garnish , all washed down with a great choice of real ales or a great choice of lagers (wines too). If you can find a better steak dinner for the price.....PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

2  Thank unkleyoda