$122
Premier Inn Crewe (Nantwich) Hotel(Nantwich)(Great Value!)
$73
$77
The Crown Hotel(Nantwich)
TripAdvisor
2,051 results
All reviewsexecutive roomafternoon teahandpicked hotelsrelaxation roomcream teahand picked hotelsbeautiful hotelglass of champagnewine listwedding partyevening mealsauna and steam rooma la carte menuseparate buildingspecial occasionhuge bedwedding breakfast
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I read a few reviews before I took my partner to Rookery Hall to celebrate her birthday. I was slightly worried as to what I'd find really. After all it was a birthday surprise and I wanted everything to be perfect. We were booked into a Executive Suite and when checking in a young lady showed us straight to our room, with no hassel. The room was perfect, very spacious, clean and comfortable. Had no complaints at all. We couldn't seem to get the TV to work in the bathroom, but that may have been my fault. I had that much planned, we didn't get time for it anyway. If i thought we would I would've seeked help from reception. I booked us in for a joint full body massage and it was well worth it. Very relaxing. For the evening meal and with regards to previous feed back, it's true that the service is relatively slow. We were booked in at 8 and received our starter just after 9. However the main course and dessert soon followed. No real complaints really as we just sat chatting. The food and drink is a little expensive for what it is, but it's not everyday you stay at such a hotel. A small glass of red, a gin and tonic and a bottle of water was £16.50. Again no real complaints as I expected this. Over all we found the trip very enjoyable and relaxing with very helpful staff. I'd recommend anyone try this hotel and spa facilities as it's very nice. However, it hasn't given me the WOW factor to go back again. My partner really enjoyed her surprise and at the end of the day that's what I wanted. the main negative is that the main door to hotel is noisy when closed. Quite annoying at 3 in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank podiatry1980
Reviewed September 6, 2009

I have stayed at several of the handpicked hotels and have loved every time, the staff make you feel at home and the settings are fabulous.

So when i was going to be in Cheshire for a few days thought it would be nice to have a belated wedding anniversry break with my wife at rookerey hall. Had stayed here 3 years ago and loved it, booked the same room (March - the old executive rooms in the original house).

Arrived Saturday afternoon ad heart sank at seeing what they have done to the place, horrible tacky massive extension in the worst cheshire spirit, if it could have been spray tanned and fitted with peroxide blonde hair it would have been.

Reception was heaving with wedding guests and the staff were at best surly, a polish girl checked us in and got very confontational when we pointed out the £40 discrepany in our booking cost and what her receipt said.

Was shown to 'our' room by a middle aged chap who was pleasant until the moment he started turning the key in the wrong room, a room that overlooked the carpark and new extension, raher than the big bay fronted room overlooking the gardens. We explained we had booked 'March' and he said to wait in our room like naughty schoolchildren whilst he sorted it out.

After several minutes i went to investigate, he was sat booking more wedding guests in and ignored my attempts at eye contact and then walked off! Shocked at his service, more suited to a travel lodge than a handpicked hotel.

Finally got the room sorted which was very nice, though is very close to needing a good refurb.

The actual food at dinner was lovely, had the lamb medium/rare and it was excellent, wine was overpriced for what was on the list (circa 400% on retail). Again what dissapointed is that we were sat in what was the lounge, now an additional dining room to cope with the 70 odd rooms. Lacks the charm of the old wood pannelled dining room and service was poor, very friendly staff but badly trained. Had a girl stare at me like i had three heads when i asked what port they had available to have with my cheeseboard, not what you expect in a good restaurant. Honourable mention to a young waiter who was very smart and well spoken and knew his trade, shame he was alone in that respect.

Breakfast was lovely and in the old dining room, though took an age for tea and coffee to arrive, i think they must have just the one kettle?!

Overall, its a pale imitation of its former self, what was an indulgent country house that you could sneak away to with your partner to be pampered in has become a conveyor belt wedding/corporate hotel with poorly trained staff and a front desk with a bad attitude problem, what a shame.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank galliano2001
Reviewed September 5, 2009

We chose Rookery Hall because we wanted a nice short break on our way to Manchester from Brighton. We were not disappointed with our experience.
The welcome at reception was friendly and efficient; a porter stood ready to carry our bags to our room and he was genuinely surprised when we offered him a tip. The room was newly refurbished and was an upgrade to the room we had booked,. The spa is clean, elegant and luxurious and all children were asked to leave the pool at five pm which meant we had a lovely relaxing experience.
We had booked a package for dinner bed and breakfast so had asked for a table to be reserved in the restaurant. We were given a complimentary glass of champagne with canapes whilst we chose our dinner and there was no fuss at all when we wanted to upgrade to the a la carte menu. The wine list was comprehensive and covered a huge price range with lots of wines by the glass.
We were shown to a table overlooking the gardens, which are beautiful and the service, together with the food was excellent. Yes there was a wait between courses, but this was so that our food was freshly cooked. The passion fruit souflee was especially good.
Breakfast the next morning was just as pleasent. The service was not slow at all, but leisurely. This suited us and a gentlemen nearby who had expressed a wish to be served quickly was indeed served quickly.
Would we return again? Absolutely!

Reviewed September 3, 2009

We stayed at Rookery Hall for our wedding anniversary after I had visited the hotel on business - we had a fantastic time. We had managed due to poor wording on the Hand Picked Hotels website to get a free Spa treatment on the day of our arrival (list price £55). We then spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the leisure facilities - which are excellent.

The room we had was very pleasant (executive room). This is £15 more than the basic room and was very well appointed. Bathroom was very good (TV over the bath which was fun). The bed was also large and very comfortable.

The evening meal we thought was excellent. Despite the other reviews the meal we had was great. The portions I agree weren't massive but I thought the quality was very good. Perhaps the other reviewers are used to quantity rather than quality! We were also on a DBB rate and decided to have one meal from the A la Carte menu and one from the set menu. Both meals were of equal quality. Service was excellent and very attentive - we had a free glass of champange and canapes at the start of the meal which was also very good. Wine is expensive but the bottle we had was very good. Coffee was served in a quiet lounge.

The breakfast the next day was excellent also. We had this in the room at no extra cost and it was lovely.

All in all an exellent visit and I will certainly be back again.

Reviewed September 2, 2009

We checked in on Sunday and went straight to the spa, which was fantastic. Really modern gym equipment, and a lovely pool - staff at the Spa were great too. The problem came after the Spa!

We stayed on a DBB rate, which had an allowance of £34 per person...ok, but the main courses started from £25, and the starters from £9.50! You're over your limit already! There is a table d'hote menu, but it is a 3-3-3 menu, and more like a conference menu (chicken or fish!) We had a very average dinner (the starters were complimentary, as we complained - 2 from 5 starters from the a la carte were unavailable!), main courses were nice, but expensive. Service was terrible. Young kids who tried really hard, but clearly hadn't been trained. I don’t mind paying for good food, but those prices wouldn’t be out of place in Michelin star restaurants, and believe me, the food wasn’t a patch on those places.

The nights sleep was awful. Despite requesting a quiet room, we were put in a room overlooking the function suite, where we were woken with wedding guests departing, and then the staff at 0645hrs chatting before starting their breakfast shift! Not best pleased! Don't stay in room 19!

Overall, despite the spa being great, the overall experience was not what we expected. If you have the chance, stay at a Shire Hotel, not a Hand Picked Hotel…stayed at both, and there is a world of difference in class.

1  Thank CHJH2007