“Eggs Benedict with parma ham anybody?”

Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Reviewed August 9, 2009

As usual with country house hotels your heart sinks when you see the new built annex on the back of a once lovely building. This feeling was exacerbated on realising that there was no covered link between the rooms and the main building, there were not even any umbellas. The room was new, clean, tidy and well appointed although the bed creaked alarmingly under normal usage! We had to ask for towels each night and there was a fake nail on the floor and obvious signs of champagne (presumbably) on the wall and ceiling.
Dinner on the frist evening was incredibly slow and nobody seemed to understand what 'half-board' meant! Presiding over this was an incredibly supercilious head waiter who contributed nothing. The lamb was inedible, chicory and goat's cheese tart was a success.
Breakfast is clearly a problem it was incredibly slow every day and why does nobody ever clear any of the tables? We stacked dirty plates on the next table and still no one got the hint despite walking past on several occssions empty handed. Every day they had run out of something whether food, cutlery or crockery. Eggs Benedict with parma ham? Seating one guest on a table for four and then trying to shoe horn us onto a tiny table?
Each night they had not got a table booked for us for dinner and the whole experience was that we were not really guests or that anyone was bothered. One brave young man was trying very hard and deserved credit but unfortunately he was swimming against the tide.

I wonder if my initials are still in the dirt on a piece of furniture in the public areas, that's a challenge for the management!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband and I spent an overnight at this hotel on our way back from London by car. The hotel is about 15 minutes drive from the M6 set in lovely countryside so it was a good choice for a stop over.
We checked in around 3 in the afternoon and the recption staff were quick, friendly and effecient. We were in an Executive Room in the new annexe. This was an upgrade for us as we were booked into a Classic Room on a special dinner, bed and breakfast rate.
I was concerned as we were shown to our room to see room service breakfast trays (at least 2 or 3 of them) still lying in the hallway. It was slovenly and gave me cause for concern about the state we'd find our room. My concerns were ill founded as the room was spotless and well appointed. There is also a stuffed cat which you place outside your door instead of a "do not disturb" sign - a lovely touch.
The rooms are modern and well kitted out (hairdryer, mini fridge with free mineral water, tea and coffee making, flat screen TVs in both the room and bathroom). The bathroom was spacious and had an excellent shower with rainfall head and side sprays.
We visited the spa which had a lovely large pool, hydro pool and steam room. It was clean and well maintained.
The hotel has a bistro in the spa offering light bites, sandwiches and the like. A sandwich is an easy thing to produce but it is great when it is done really well. My sandwich of thick cut granary bread, cheese and chutney was excellent. The bread was soft and fresh, the cheese good quality and the chutney tangy. My husband's steak pie was a good size and full of tender beef. All in all very well done.
The breakfast also was excellent. The cooked items on offer were clearly freshly prepared with good quality ingredients and the buffet had a good selection too.
The only criticism I would make is of the dinner. The hotel restaurant advertises "fine dining" and on the special rate it is no doubt good value. The trouble is that the food is overly fancy. Rather than producing decent, fairly simple dishes and doing them really well, the restaurant food is fussy and the added frills and French names cannot disguise the fact that the food is just not of the very highest standard. Don't get me wrong, it is not awful or inedible, it is just disappointing especially when the more casual fare on offer at the bistro was so good.
All in all though, I would return here and I would recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Woo4uk
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Yes, the hotel at first glimpse looks lovely, set in beautiful woodland gardens, but the customer service is atrocious. Arriving for a spa day to celebrate my 50th birthday, we were told to take a seat in reception and someone would be with us soon. Sat at dirty table with left over pots which no one collected. No one came to see us. We ordered a coffee. It didn't come. A hostess arrived after 20 minutes - said she would make coffee - it didn't arrive. Asked waiter for a coffee again, he couldn't remember whether he had served us or not. We were shown to the spa area, which was very nice, but all the beds round the pool had been 'bagged' by invisible people who had left their towels lying around territorially. Lunch was expensive and disappointing. Ordered 2 salads and fries. Only one salad arrived. Waiter got order wrong and had to quickly make another. The feta salad was salty and unbalanced - consisting of 90% olives, 5% cheese, and 5% tomato and lettuce. The best was yet to come though. Eagerly awaiting our Rasul pampering mud treatment, we were shown into an empty bathroom with towels on the floor and given a pot of mud and some paper knickers. We were told to strip off, put the mud on our bodies, then go into the steam cubicle/shower to wash it off! (The hair mask we were promised - after asking twice - finally arrived in the form of an empty pot - but that was about par for the course. ) We sat on the floor like cavemen and attempted to rub green gunge into our bodies, which simply rolled up into pellets and dropped on the floor. We were laughingly expecting to be laid on soft beds, and have the mud administered by a trained therapist - not a do it yourself job. Although the place was overrun with 'therapists' in ponytails and tabards, there was no one there to assist, advise or administer. Laughter soon turned to anger and disappointment as we realised we had travelled 100 miles, taken a day's holiday from work, and spent hard-earned cash for something we could have done in our own bathroom for a couple of quid. We left, broke, bitter and exhausted. Really really poor!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
7  Thank minniemoo99
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I attended a conference here recently whereas the accomodation and staff should be applauded the catering for lunch and an evening meal were an appauling disgrace for an establishment of this calibre. The breakfast service was slow, the replenishment of the buffet element left alot to be desired, the buffet lunch was from Iceland Frozen foods and the "barbeque" pathetic.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank fussytraveller_7
Reviewed July 14, 2009

My husband treated our daughter(age 12) and myself to a wonderful weekend away at this hotel. The hotel was stunning as were the grounds which I had a wonderful walk around. The best part for me though was the evening meal, which is why I wanted to write this. We were treated to a little extra taster at the beginning of the meal - with compliments from the chef( which I'll let you discover as it was a lovely surprise!) With this tasting gorgeous we all looked at each other, knowing we were in for a fantastic meal. We both had the beef and my daughter had the lamb and we just had to look at it and it fell apart. We have never had meat so tender - it really was something special. The desert was even better with the lemon tart - they must have one brilliant pastry chef there as it was absolute heaven, in fact I would travel the three hundred miles just to taste the pastry again. Also I must mention the dining room as it was beautiful sitting there looking out onto the wonderful grounds. We all had a really luxurious stay (especially with the TV in the bathroom) and it was my first stay with the hand picked chain. I'm just looking forward to being treated again!! Just one last point - I never go swimming to hotel pools as I think they are all too cold, but I wish I had bought my costume to this one as the pool area was not only beautiful but was really hot and the water was lovely and warm. Next time....

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Remmingtons
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We got married at Rookery Hall last weekend.... what can I say but EXCEPTIONAL. We were treated like royalty. ALL of the staff simply couldnt do enough for you, but a special mention has to go to the wedding/events team, in particular Wayne who looked after us all day. If youre thinking of Rookery Hall for you wedding, then please do it.... you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DevonRadleyGirl
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We celebrated our anniversary here, and had a dinner booked. They brought us the wrong starter, after making us wait 35 minutes for it, and failing to even offer us any bread. They managed to bring the wrong dessert to me, and forgot about our coffees!
That night we had the windows open and were treated to an hour of raucous noise as wedding guests were picked up by a succession of taxis, with no attempt by hotel staff to quieten them down. No Air-Con, so couldn't close the windows without boiling.
Overall, appalling, given their prices, you just expect so much more.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Crewe Hall
Mottram Hall
Mottram Hall
#1 of 1 in Mottram St. Andrew
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!