“Hotel luxury in Cheshire”

Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
London, United Kingdom
“Hotel luxury in Cheshire”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last month. The staff are excellent and always ready to help you. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast choice was outstanding - including hot waffles! We were
particularly impressed with the wide range of local produce used in the kitchen for our meals.
There are plenty of things to do within a twenty mile radius - you could spend a fortnight there.
We will definitely stay there again and happily recommend the Hotel for a personal/business stay.

Room Tip: Speak to the staff who will describe the rooms which are available. Ours looked out over rolling fi...
1 Thank Patrick H
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Hello Patrick H,

Thank you for your review following your visit to the hotel last month.

“Hotel luxury in Cheshire” this is a wonderful heading to your review – thank you.

I do agree that the breakfast choice is outstanding, especially with our choice of a cold buffet selection to start, then a hot breakfast, cooked to order served to your table. This is an excellent way to start your day and is a meal not to be missed when staying at any Hand Picked hotel. The hot waffles are a personal favourite of mine, I’m glad you enjoyed them.

Thank you again for your review and your personal recommendation to others.

The comfortable bed you slept in looks forward to welcoming you back, as do the team and I.

Stephen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My partner and I visited Rookery Hall on an Elegant Escape offer. The staff were excellent - very welcoming and friendly whilst also being professional. The hotel is gorgeous and the deluxe room we stayed in was lovely and spotless. The meal was also excellent. We will definitely be returning for another stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marie B
Hello Marie B,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your recent visit to the hotel.

We are very lucky to have such excellent team members who are attentive and natural in their approach. I was so pleased to read that you felt so welcomed by the team. We do try our very best to create a home from home experience.

Thank you also for your lovely words about your room allocation and evening meal.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Worcester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I booked Rookery Hall as a spa package for myself and my husband for his 50th birthday . From start to finish it was excellent . On arrival we were warmly greeted and nothing was to much trouble the young lady on reception up graded our room to a suite complete with a lounge , bedroom and bathroom . Dinner was lovely and well served by the staff and it tasted delicious . A great touch was the turndown service of your bed and your pillows being sprayed with lavender.Breakfast offered a good selection and was very filling. We spent Sunday at the Spa as part of our package and had treatments this was very relaxing and the staff made us feel very welcome . the pool is a great area and all the little touches in the Amber lounge and the relaxation room were most welcoming. All in all a great value weekend .

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building tend to be quieter
1 Thank Rachel P
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Hello Rachel P,

Happy 50th Birthday to your husband.

Thank you so much for a wonderful review, and thank you for choosing Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa to celebrate. Your review is lovely to read and I’m truly delighted to have received it.

The Reception team, after driving up our lovely drive, set the scene for a guest’s stay, so I was so pleased to read that from start to finish it was excellent.
A relaxing spa package is something we all deserve from time to time and feeling pampered too, your review sounds like you achieved this.

We strive to deliver a faultless experience for our guests so it is refreshing to read we managed this for you.

The team will be very proud to read your words as will prospective guests.

Please come and visit again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights last weekend and overall, we had a lovely stay. We had a gorgeous "Executive" room in the annexe which was a good size, lovely furnishings and the TV in the bathroom was an added bonus! Bed was really comfortable and the view looked out onto the picturesque countryside.
As some people have commented, this is the part of the building where the function room is but there was a wedding taking place as we arrived and we never heard anything from our room all night so I wouldn't be deterred by this.
Breakfast on Saturday morning is where it started to go downhill.....an unmitigated disaster! There are plenty of staff all running around back and forth, yet we had to wait nearly 15 minutes for a table (longest I've had to wait in any hotel anywhere) whilst waitresses ran back and forth and in and out of rooms yet no clean tables seemed to be set up! It's really chaotic and although you can hear orders being shouted by management from the kitchen, there doesn't appear to be any really management apparent on the restaurant floor.
When we did eventually get a table, we were given a window table with a lovely view (which did slightly appease us) but the place still looked very much like a bomb had gone off with baby food all over the carpet, several dirty tables etc.
We were served stone cold toast without butter and luke warm coffee but were in too much of a rush to make a fuss over any of it. Our breakfasts when they arrives were nice enough and the waitress who served us apologised for our bad experience which was appreciated since it wasn't her fault.
The staff are lovely and helpful, it just seems a case of bad management and considering the price you pay for the hotel, I really did expect better.
On the Sunday we decided we couldn't face the breakfast experience again so ordered room service which was fine (although no butter again!)

We had dinner on Saturday evening at the hotel and the service was no where near as bad as breakfast but I still felt it was a little too relaxed as we waited over 10 minutes before our drinks order was taken and I didn't like the fact we had to tell the waiter that we were entitled to a free bottle of house wine as we had taken advantage of an offer made available to us when booking on line. The table next to us had to do the same and I would have preferred them to bring it to us as a given.
However, the food was really nice particularly the beef which both myself and my boyfriend had.
We made use of the spa facilities on the Sunday too and I had a couple of treatments which were lovely, the staff are all really nice and everything runs very smoothly. It was a really nice, relaxing and enjoyable experience.
So overall I would recommend Rookery Hall for a weekend away but I think considering the PPP that the breakfast needs to seriously improve and then it would be faultless!

1 Thank Leanne R
Hello Leanne R,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to the Hotel and Spa.

I was pleased to read that overall you had a lovely stay with us.
The Executive rooms are a favourite amongst our guests with their ‘tilevision’ televisions and the multi experience showers in the bathrooms.

I was however disappointed to read about your breakfast experience and also about the communication breakdown regarding your bottle of wine at dinner. Please accept my sincere apologies. This is not the service our guests should receive.
I have also shared your review with my Restaurant Manager who also sends his personal apologies to you.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your evening meal, the beef is a personal favourite of mine.

Thank you for your kind words about the Hotel & Spa team. It’s lovely to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy the Spa facilities and also enjoyed your treatments.

Again thank you for your review, and as mentioned in other reviews, your feedback is extremely important to us and is shared directly with the team to enable us to evolve and improve. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, and if so please email me in advance and I will personally ensure you have the very best of stays. (sfearnley@handpicked.co.uk)

Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed here with my husband on Saturday 26/10/03 for I night. Our room was in the main building and was spacious with a very comfortable bed, very clean and had a lovely view of the grounds. All the staff were very friendly and efficient. We had a cooked breakfast the following morning, which was very good. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and would definitely return to Rookery Hall.

2 Thank susan c
Hello susan c,

What a wonderful heading, thank you. Also thank you, for taking the time to share your review with others, following your stay with us.

It’s lovely to read your comments about your room allocation, its cleanliness and the view.
I was even more delighted to read your comments about the team.
We are fortunate to have some very natural, attentive and genuinely charming team members who love what they do and who are very proud to work at the hotel.

I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Many thanks once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,

East Midlands, UK
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Just spent the last couple of nights at this hotel as a base to explore the local area - particularly Chester. The hotel was lovely - we stayed in the more modern extension which has good sized bedrooms with all of the facilities you would expect and more! However, worth noting that this is also where many of the wedding evening celebrations occur, so if you are after a quiet night, then I wouldn't recommend this section of the hotel near a weekend.

We spent a couple of hours in the pool pool/sauna/steam room. It was all fine, but nothing that stood out as extra special. The Spa treatments seemed very popular (if a little pricey), as they were booked up well in advance! We never got the chance to try these at all.

Hello CAF-NGP,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the hotel.

The location of the hotel set in the countryside, makes it an ideal location for exploring and visiting the area. Chester is a very popular city to visit amongst our guests , I hope you enjoyed your time there.
Conveniently, we are located only 15 minutes away from the M6 this makes it an ideal location to visit Manchester and Liverpool also.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your bedroom allocation. Our Executive rooms are a favourite amongst our guests.
The team do try their very best to allocate the rooms as best as they can to avoid any disturbance from functions taking place at the hotel. Please accept my apologies if you were disturbed at all.

Our Health Club & Spa is the perfect place to relax and unwind. The Spa has been awarded the prestigious five bubble award by the Good Spa Guide, and has also won ‘Residential Spa Of The Year’ at the 2013 Professional Beauty Awards. We are very proud of these achievements.
To avoid disappointment, we do recommend booking treatments in advance as the Spa is very popular.

I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Old colwyn
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed one night (25/10/13) at the Rookery Hall Spa and generally found it to be very pleasant. We stayed in a deluxe room which I felt was a little disappointing. The room was in a seperate building to the main hotel, and whilst it was pleasant, it wasnt wow - and for £350 for one night DB&b with a treatment each I expected better. One of the downfalls of being away from the main hotel is that if its raining you get wet running from building to building for dinner. The hotel should consider some sort of covered walkway.
Food in the restaurant in the evening was great, however bar prices are steep. £13:50 for a glass of wine - really! If the hotel respond to this review please note I know you can have a smaller £9:50 glass of wine but again this is really expensive.
All the staff were really pleasant and friendly. My wife and I spent a couple of hours in the spa and had a 'treatment combo' each which was very relaxing. The Spa seemed to be run like a well oiled machine, which is less than can be said for breakfast. Oh dear, what a disaster. Breakfast is served until 10am on a Saturday, so we decided to have an early morning swim first, then turned up for breakfast at 09:20. We were shown to a corner table and offered tea and coffee and told to help ourselves from the buffet table. More guests arrived and I could see tables sat waiting for staff to take an order for a hot breakfast. We all waited, and waited, and waited.... The two ladies near to us finally got their breakfast, only for one to have to send hers back as it was cold. Our breakfasts arrived at 10:20 - a full hour after being sat down. Now there's relaxed, and there's SLOW! My eggs benedict was luke warm, but i couldnt face the wait of sending it back. Another table nearby sent one breakfast back, and a family near the door had an issue with an eggs benedict with no ham. All round a poor showing and not what I expect of a hotel of this standard. Overall I dont feel I had value for money based on a so so room in an annexe and poor service at breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building, and be early for breakfast.
3 Thank Chris W
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Chris W,

Thank you for your review following your recent overnight stay with us.

It is always disappointing to read a review such as this. However we are always receptive to feedback about our product and service and we work tirelessly to make continuous improvements. To do this we always listen to honest and constructive comments from our guests even when it is uncomfortable to do, and I am disappointed and apologise that we didn’t get the opportunity to address these issues with you prior to your departure.

I was sorry to read that you felt let down by the new Double Deluxe room that was allocated. These rooms account for by far the most positive responses from our guests so I was disappointed you did not feel the same.

I am sorry that you found our bar tariff to be overpriced as one of the features of staying at Rookery Hall is the wide selection of wines we offer by the glass, with prices starting from £6.00. These are served in elegant surroundings with attentive table service and accompanied by quality nibbles. I am sorry that you felt this experience didn’t offer exceptional value for money for a 4* hotel. As with the wines, we also have a good choice of beers, ales and spirits which vary in price according to the brand chosen.

I do apologise that the breakfast service was not up to our normal impeccable standards, the morning in question was a very busy one but no excuses, it simply was not the experience our guests should have, so please accept my sincere apologies for this.

Thank you for your kind comments about the team, we are very lucky to have such natural and attentive people working at the hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your spa experience and that you both felt relaxed following your treatments.

Once again please accept my apologies for the shortfall in service you received on this occasion.

If you do decide to come and stay with us in the future, please do contact me direct where I will personally ensure you are looked after.

Kind Regards,

Stephen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Crewe Hall
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,052 reviews
Rowton Hall Hotel
Rowton Hall Hotel
#5 of 44 in Chester

Been to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!