“Loved it”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Loved it”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Was bought a spa break for my birthday, arrived early and asked if we could check in early before using the spa, this was fine, shown to our room which was lovely, huge bed, great bathroom including tv. Nice tea & coffee (hate nescafe!)
Unpacked & went to the spa to relax and swin before our treatment, staff lovely and helpful, used the sauna, steam room, swimming pool and jacuzzi, we then had the rasul mud treatment which we really enjoyed. There were a couple of small issues with the spa 1) The floor in the changing rooms had hair/fluff in the water on the floor, this isn't nice, 2) There weren't enough loungers, we were in the pool area for an hour and a half before our treatment and there were only about 10 loungers - all of which were taken, or had towels/robes on, this meant we had to spend all our time in the water/sauna as there was no-where else to sit.
We had dinner included in our deal, it was lovely, we were very impressed with the food - all of it delicious, the wine was pricey though.
The bedroom was great - shower fantastic and bath great, the bed was a little soft for me.
Breakfast was nice, lots of choice, just a bit of an issue with getting our coffee, but everything else was good.
All the staff were friendly and helpful, I would book there again

1 Thank joolesw
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I would like to take the opportunity of thanking you for your much valued feedback in relation to your recent experience with us here at Rookery Hall.

I was pleased to read that you found the bedroom to be great and the food to be delicious. However it would appear that we were inconsistent with the very high standards of cleanliness we set ourselves in the spa. I was extremely disappointed and sorry to read your comments about the floor being dirty as we spend a great deal of time training our teams. I have this morning reviewed with Mark our Club and Spa Manager the feasibility of buying additional loungers for peak periods.

I was delighted to read that the problems you encountered did not overly effect the enjoyment of your stay and you found all the food was delicious and the teams were warm and friendly. Customer service is something we are passionate about here at the hotel so thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Gwyn Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I chose to spend our Silver Wedding Anniversary here and managed to secure a discounted deal. We would not have been able to afford it otherwise. The staff were very attentive and we had everything we needed in the room, including an ironing board and iron. The room was in the modern wing and it was very nicely decorated but we would have preferred a more traditional room with more character. The tv in the ensuite was a little unnecessary as we both used the separate shower rather than the bath, but my husband chose a radio channel so he was happy.
We were seated for dinner on the only table by a window facing the garden which was lovely, although I usually enjoy watching the rest of the room. Our 5 course evening meal was delicious but we had to wait too long between courses, and they forgot to offer us bread until after the Starter. All the portions were beautifully presented, but on the small side. As we accepted the offer of a sorbet course, the food came to £80 and I can't say I felt full by the end.
We had an enormous bed, similar to those found in the States (or other 5 star hotels!) and slept very well. In the morning, the sun was shining brilliantly and I used the complementary white robe to walk over to the Spa for a swim, which is housed in a separate building. This was great, except I wasn't aware I would need £1 for the locker. There was a spinner in the changing room to remove excess water from costumes, which was essential as we were moving on that day.
Breakfast was very good, but we were entertained by two different members of staff offering the same table near us to two different couples.The first couple had left to visit the buffet, only to realise when they returned with their food that their table showed signs of being occupied, although the second couple were at the buffet by then. Luckily, there was a free table next to it that I suggested they use.
I always believe it is worth paying for luxury as long as the facilities, standard of food and service are all excellent. However, I don't think my husband would agree it was worth the cost.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Hello Karen L,

Congratulations on your Silver Wedding Anniversary, and thank you for choosing Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your guest experience. We are fortunate to have such a good team working at the hotel, so I was pleased to read that you found everyone to be attentive.

I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our health club facilities, apologies that you were not informed that you required a £1 coin for the lockers.

We hope to welcome you back in the future, and should you stay again please contact us direct so that we can allocate you a room in the main house.

London
Reviewed August 19, 2013

There isn't much wrong with this hotel apart from it's a little tired and not really anything more than a tired conference / wedding hotel. Luxury it isn't. Clean it is. Up to the minute it isn't. Acceptable it is. I also get fed up with being told Posh and Becks had their engagement party there. That was 1998 and I assume that's when the place had it's make over.

That's it's problem really. If you were there for an event you'd say what a lovely event. If you were there for a lovely Spa weekend you'd live somewhere pretty roper if you thought you life had been improved by visiting here.

However, the real issue was the price of the drinks. I ordered a large glass of white wine at the bar and they wanted £12 for one drink and poured the last of one bottle into the glass and topped up the rest with a new bottle. Needless to say I refused to pay and drove a mile down the road to the local off licence. I walked in and asked for some miniature vodka's and the cheery lady behind the counter said "staying at Rookery Hall are we?" - Sums it up.

Room Tip: Bring your own booze unless your rich. If you're rich, stay somewhere better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andrew T
Hello Andrew T,

Thank you for completing a review on Trip Advisor following you recent stay with us.

The team, and I are very sad to read this review, and that you feel that it is nothing more than a tired conference and wedding hotel.
The restaurant is continuously awarded the 2 AA Rossette accreditation, and fine dining is most certainly at the heart of the Rookery Hall experience.

Our Health Club & Spa is the perfect place to unwind and relax. The Spa, has been awarded the prestigious five bubble award by the good spa guide, and has also won 'Residential Spa of the Year' at the 2013 Professional Beauty Awards. We are all extremely proud of these achievements.

Wine by the glass, prices start at £6.95 and are of a superb quality so we can only assume you chose a more expensive style from our extensive list.
As with the wines, we also have a good choice of beers, ales and spirits which vary in price according to the brand chosen.

Thank you again for you review and my apologies that the hotel did not meet your expectations.

Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My now Fiancee and I Sarah recently enjoyed a stay at this simply amazing hotel!!!
It really was everything we could have asked for, and more!
After a 3 hour train journey up from Cardiff, we arrived in Nantwich, to find the taxi the hotel had booked for us awaiting our arrival.
The hotel is no more than 15 minutes away from the station, as we turned into the long, meandering drive along the tree lined path up to Rookery, our anticipation of a great stay was heightened!!!
We were warmly greeted on arrival, and soon checked into our suite, "June".
A Beautiful 4 poster bed greeted our eyes, the room itself was spacious, and tastefully decorated and furnished, we had wonderful views over the lawn from our windows, a gorgeous fountain sparkling in the sunlight!
The bathroom had a lovely deep roll-top bath, with a powerful separate shower adjacent to it, there are also 2 decent built-in his/hers wardrobes, and his/hers sinks, a delightful room overall!!!
The bottle of Bruno Palliard Champagne we ordered was waiting for us in our room along with a complimentary bowl of fruit and a box of Hand-Picked Chocolates(we were also lucky to have the latter at Nutfield Priory when we stayed there in June)
After making ourselves familiar with the room and drinking our Champagne, and taking several pictures(which has become a tradition of ours!)which naturally found their way straight onto Facebook! we made our way to the spa!!!
Our suite was in the main house, the spa was a 5 minute walk away, as a surprise, I had booked two treatments for Sarah to enjoy, an Elemis Luxury Facial, and a Full Manicure!
Because of the package we had booked on, Sarah enjoyed a 25% discount on the treatments, the combined treatments came to £69, which I thought was excellent value for money!
Whilst Sarah enjoyed her treatments, I checked out the spa, it's quite a large area, a good sized pool(18m) with a gorgeous Hydrotherapy pool, a crystal steam room, and sauna, all of which I availed myself of!!!
There are loungers dotted around the pool area, I bagged myself and Sarah one, as it was a Wednesday, it wasn't very busy there, I had a quick sleep, tired after the long train journey, and waited till Sarah arrived.
The locker area is a reasonable size, clean and tidy, with good facilities, you'll need a pound coin for the lockers though!
After enjoying the spa, we took a turn around the hotel's finely manicured grounds and rooms before returning to our room to prepare for our evening meal in the Fine Dining Restaurant, pre-booking is definitely advisable as it turned out to be busy!!!
Dressed in our finest, we headed to dinner, eagerly anticipating an awesome meal, and so it turned out to be!!!
The package we booked on gave us a £35 allowance per-person towards our meal, we were given a warm welcome and escorted to our table, the assistant-manager came over and introduced himself, gave us the menus, and took our order for Champagne, chef sent out some delicious appetizers whilst we perused the excellent choices, Sarah is a Pescitarian, but had no problem atall with the choices available.
Our sincere congratulations to Head Chef Mark Walker and his Team for an absolutely outstanding 3 course meal, the food was just amazing, the presentation, top-drawer!!! One often, at such establishments, looks at the portion sizes and wonders if it's enough, but believe me, the portions were just right, we enjoyed each and every mouthful of each course, both of us tried some of each others food, the service throughout the evening was great, a special mention to the lovely Emily, who was the first person to congratulate us after my proposal to Sarah(Fortunately for me, she said yes!!! I am indeed, the luckiest man in the world!!!) she wasn't over-bearing, and got it spot-on, the whole team though it has to be said, were marvelous!
We took desert and coffee out near the lawn, as Sarah got a bit warm, Chef kindly sent out deserts with "Congratulations" written in chocolate on the side of our dishes, which was a nice touch that we really appreciated, and we were also presented with a complimentary glass of Champagne each from the hotel to celebrate our engagement, our coffee was also complimentary!!!
After desert and coffee, and a nightcap, we returned to our suite, thoroughly sated!!!!
After a decent nights sleep, we got ready for breakfast, again, a wonderful choice of food, meats, cheeses, cereals, locally sourced honey, croissants and off-course, Hand-Picked Hotels awesome cooked to order traditional breakfast, for which their rightly synonymous!
As with The Fine Dining Restaurant the previous evening, there are some meals which carry an additional supplement, but not expensive, the food again, superb!!!
We went to the spa one last time before returning to our suite to pack and check-out, which was done by the very cheerful Gemma!!!
Sarah and I would like to thank ALL the staff at Rookery for making our very special stay very memorable, all were polite and extremely efficient, and we have no hesitation in recommending Rookery Hall to everyone, it would also make a superb wedding venue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anthony & Sarah.

1 Thank SarAnt34
Congratulations on your recent engagement and thank you for your wonderful comments following your stay with us.

It is great to hear that the team worked so hard to make your day so special, we place a great deal of emphasis on recruiting the right people and developing these people to be ambassadors for our company

I have already passed on to the Chef and the front of house team your very kind comments about being attentive and providing great, friendly service because this is what we aim to provide for all of our guests and it is great for us that you keep coming back and indeed recommend the hotel to others.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rookery Hall in the very near future.

Regards,

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

A friend and I spent a one night spa break very recently at Rookery Hall. Our twin room was very spacious, queen size beds. Plenty of teas, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits. A lovely lady called around mid afternoon to ask if we needed anything topping up. This lady kindly got us a fan, as there is no air con,and we had windows open which encouraged some local wasps. Free wifi. Large bathroom ours didn't have tv in bathroom, but I suppose that would be in the double rooms for the romantic breaks. Spa was lovely, cafe expensive but elegant and comfortable, that's what you are paying for. All staff very pleasant, my massage was lovely (thank you Kelly). Swimming pool, sauna etc lovely especially the power water jets on your back.......very tranquil setting. Everything you need in changing room, shower with, shampoo, free dressing gown , towel, hair dryer, £1 for locker refundable. Evening meal part of the package, all looked small portion, but very filling and delicious. Wine expensive, house white £23. Fantastic breakfast, wide selection of fruit, cakes, muesli etc for continental, and full English was very large hot portions. Service was excellent. Brilliant reception staff, very helpful. If pushed for any negatives...there are delays in restaurant, as long as you know this in advance, class it as part of your relaxing break. My friend had her dining chair replaced as there was a large dip in the centre of the seat, but this was changed without any fuss.

Room Tip: We were above main reception, with a little balcony, lovely view. Far enough away from any noise fro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Hello wild55,

Thank you for your very complimentary review following your recent visit to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa.

I was delighted to read your comments regarding all aspects of your stay, including the Health Club and Spa facilities. Even more so, I delighted to read your comments about the team. We are fortunate to have such a good team of people who go above and beyond to ensure all of our guests feel at home.

I am pleased you had the opportunity to dine in our 2 AA Rosette restaurant, and sample our menu. Please accept my apologies that you encountered some delays.

Many thanks once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Our 2 night break was really relaxing as everything was perfect. Spa and hydrotherapy pool were brill and our room in the modern wing was quiet and very comfortable. Hotel was busy but staff were friendly, efficient and very polite. Only quibble was the wait for starters in the fine dining room as from ordering to food arriving was nearly an hour on both our nights. Great breakfast. We'd stay again, loved it.

1 Thank jev42
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and all aspects of the hotel. On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at Rookery Hall, we look forward to welcoming you all back to us in the future.

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We booked a two night stay here in early August on what seemed like a good value package.  £149 a night, including breakfast, dinner and a mud spa treatment for two.

Rookery hall is beautifully set in the Cheshire countryside and is easy to find.  It has a spectacular old wing, a more modern extension and a separate spa and health club.

Check in was quick, easy and friendly.  We were showed to our room by a very friendly and helpful porter called Dave.  This was lucky as our key cards did not work, so he was able to go and get them changed for us, meaning we didn't have the hassle of lugging our bags all the way back to reception.

The room was nice, spacious and clean.  The bed was big and very comfy.  The bathroom had bath (with TV) and a rain shower.

All a hit so far...

We dressed for dinner on the first night, as requested in the guide, no jeans, trainers and a collared shirt and arrived at the time we booked 7.45pm.  The service was friendly and attentive and we ordered within 10mins.  We were on the 3 course inclusive package and had two or three options per course to choose from.  We could also choose from the al a carte menu for supplemented prices, which were clearly displayed.  The wine was extortionately expensive, with a glass ranging from over £7 to £14 and the full bottles just ridiculous priced.

The real problems began with the mammoth wait for our starters...  It took an hour for them to arrive and I was underwhelmed with my goats cheese croquet when it finally came.  My partner really enjoyed her starter (apart from the wait), hit and miss!

No one acknowledged the long wait and we could see from the tables around us and frustrated faces, we were not the only ones waiting for a very long time.  After another 40mins the mains finally arrived, again no acknowledgment of the now painfully long wait.  My main was a corn risotto.  It was awful! Flavourless, chewy, dry and boring! The waiter apologised and sent the manager over who offered to change the meal, we explained we had already waited a very long time and were not prepared to wait any longer. Again, no apology or acknowledgement of the extremely slow service.  I will be honest and say I wouldn't have minded if someone had simply acknowledge the long wait and maybe even offered some customer service and knocked off a glass of wine for the bill, no chance here! It was 10pm by the time we left the restaurant.

We slept really well in the palatial bed and quiet room that night.

Breakfast...  The spread was great, lots of fresh fruit, cereals, pastries and all with a real local theme.  The hot food selection on offer was extensive.  I chose the vegetarian platter and my partner a poached egg and ham on a muffin.  We ordered granary toast to be served with the breakfast, just the way I like it.  The breakfast came without toast and I reminded the waiter we had ordered it and was assured it was on its way.  I waited... A few mins later I asked again and was told there would be some coming soon.  I noticed a couple on the table next to us were complaining they had ordered toast with their breakfast and it haven't come.  I also noticed them leave, after finishing without any toast having arrived. 10 mins later my breakfast was finished and still no sign of the toast! I asked for a third time and a few mins later some cold white toast arrived.  My partner was a bit fed up by this time and sent it back asking for granary toast, like we had ordered, and warm!  Finally some granary toast arrived, stone cold!  We gave up and left...  What a shame such a lovely breakfast was ruined by something as simple as toast!  I was quickly losing faith In the restaurant...  At no point during, or as we were leaving did anyone ask us if we had enjoyed our breakfast...

The health club was next for us and our mud treatment.  We had a couple of hours until the treatment began and wanted to spend them relaxing around the pool.  Mark on the front desk was too busy on the phone to give us a proper welcome and an explanation of how everything works.  It annoys me a little when this happens, I don't mind if someone is already engaged In a phone call when arriving, I am more than happy to wait my turn.  But equally, to answer the next phone call over serving us in turn seems a little rude to me. The floor of the changing rooms were very dirty, which put me off.  The pool area, sauna, spa and steam room were very overcrowded, which was a huge shame as the facilities looked great.

The mud treatment was great fun yet we were relived it was included and we didn't pay £80 for it as it would have felt like very poor value for money.

We almost didn't go to the restaurant for our second evening meal, but as it was included and we had managed to book an earlier sitting, we decided to give it another go.  After an initial confusion with our booking, 7.15pm with reception and 8.30pm on their list we had a really good meal, with efficient service.  We had vowed not to spend an extra penny in the place after the shambles of the night before!  The food was lovely and I avoided the risotto like the plague, choosing the delicious wild mushroom tortellini instead. We had finished our dessert by 8.45 and we were able to get the early night we needed.

All in all, really hit and miss.

On reflection I can not and will not be recommending this hotel to friends or family and will certainly not be making a return visit.  As the review says, it was the restaurant which really clouded our whole stay.  I know problems arise, this is where management should step in and customer service excellence should shine through.  We were bitterly disappointed.

I hope this is not a reflection of other hotels in the Hand Picked brand, and to be honest, I am not sure I want to spend another £500 trying another one out!

7 Thank damsqu
Thank you for registering your recent review on Trip Advisor.

It is disappointing to read a report such as this. We are always receptive to feedback about our product and service and we work tirelessly to make continuous improvements. To do this we always listen to honest and constructive comments from our guests and visitors even when it is uncomfortable to do so and I disappointed that you did not make these comments to us directly.

I am very keen to understand fully what happened and would ask you to contact me directly on 01270 615611 or email me at gbjones@handpicked.co.uk

Regards,

Gwyn Jones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Crewe Hall
#4 of 44 in Chester
Rowton Hall Hotel
Rowton Hall Hotel
#5 of 44 in Chester

Been to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!