“Lovely place spoiled by extortionate bar prices..” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa

Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Lovely place spoiled by extortionate bar prices..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

My friends and I recently spent a girlie weekend here on a spa package which was great value and included treatments, use of the spa facility, overnight accommodation, evening meal and breakfast.

The location and setting here is lovely and the staff are all very pleasant. Service is good also. The Spa facility is immaculate and the bedrooms are very nice and tastefully decorated. The beds are extremely comfy and towels very fluffy (I am getting old, I don’t usually comment on stuff like this!!) We stayed in the executive room and had a TV in the bathroom and had a turndown service etc.. so it was all very lovely.

Food is beautiful and very well presented but there’s not a great deal of it! We had to fill up on cheese & biscuits after our 3 course dinner. Breakfast was extensive with a great choice, shame we couldn’t really enjoy it as we were a little ‘green at the gills’ from a heavy night!

A point deducted in my review for the hideous bar prices at this hotel (hence scoring 4 and not 5 out of 5), and if it was not for the ridiculous bar prices, I really would consider this lovely place for forthcoming events, however, I would not be comfortable having my guests pay these extremely over exaggerated bar prices which are bordering on ridiculous. Now I am not tight by any stretch of the imagination and I like nice things, BUT I do hate being ripped off and I did feel aggrieved at paying £22 for 3 single measure drinks! I’ve paid less for drinks in Central London and major cities across the world than I paid here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank EllieAndBond
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. We're delighted to read how much you enjoyed our facilities and that our staff were friendly and efficient. As with many hotels we serve a larger 35ml measure in all of our bars and restaurants and charge accordingly. When compared to a normal 25ml measure I do believe it offers good value.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Gwyn Jones.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed for one night for a friends wedding last weekend. The room was lovely and the air conditioning was a welcome relief. The wedding breakfast food was OK, but I certainly would not recommend having the bacon rolls for an evening reception - what a complete rip off. A huge roll with one rasher of bacon for just under £20/head!! And the bar drinks were over priced, and also the bill you were charged for the same round of drinks seemed to change depending on who served you. Lovely venue but a bit of a rip off!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Butterfly80_13
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

I was really pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay and found the room to be lovely. With regard to the evening reception at the wedding I am slightly confused as we have no evening reception packages including bacon rolls with a price of £20.00 I am however sorry you only had one rasher of bacon in your bacon roll, I would like to reassure you that we do not only put one rasher of bacon in each bread roll and I have discussed this with the chef to ensure more consistent production. I am also sorry that the bar service was inconsistent and have asked Jane our conference and banqueting manager to retain the team.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Towcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Very small, hot room with no aircon and a small fan to circulate the 30c air. Bar and dinner service were slow but friendly. I would echo other reviewers' comments about the inexperience of some of the staff. Breakfast is great (beats the local Crewe Hall), however I found it slow at times and my order was delivered incorrectly on 3 occasions. I have stayed here a number of times and many more at Crewe Hall. I may now reserve my stays here for the cooler months only...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PickyglobetrotterUk
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent stay.

Whilst I was delighted to read your remarks about the quality of the food you received, I was disappointed that you felt the service could have been quicker; we do try and ensure that guests are not rushed during Breakfast but we are also aware that many guests do want to start their day promptly and we try and ensure that the balance is right. I am sorry that on this occasion, it was not.

With regard to the air conditioning all 39 of our executive rooms do have air conditioning. Please do contact me personally next time you are staying and I will arrange an upgrade. We hope to see you again soon and look forward to being able to welcome you back on your next visit to Cheshire.

Gateshead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very pretty and the rooms are well appointed. The air conditioning was a bonus as it was very warm without it. Bar service was slow in the early evening but ok later on. Breakfast was good. No time to try the gym or spa.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to lodge your feedback following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read your comments about the bedroom, the quality and presentation of breakfast and the team who I know will be thrilled.

On behalf the team here at Rookery Hall I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Hotel is set in lovely grounds. Room was nice. However the staff and management could be better and the communication between website booking and the hotel needs improving. We booked in for 2 nights with dinner and paid for all a carte upgrade and 2 bottles of wine. The hotel didn't have us down for al a carte upgrade and didnt even have us down for dinner the second night. They had no idea we had already paid for wine either. They canelled our room key after the first night and although it was 30 degrees outside hadn't bothered to move outdoor seating from the conference building to cater for the large number of people wjo wanted to sit outside. We had to sit on a wall whist several tables etc where empty at the back of the hotel. We spent 10 minutes waiting for a drink from the bar until I had to ask someone to find someone to serve. Overall as country house hotels go not fantastic. Merely average at best

1 Thank Sally W
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your guest experience. I was certainly disappointed to learn of your frustrations that you encountered during your stay with us as this is by no means the level of service we wish to deliver here at Rookery Hall.

Rookery Hall is a popular venue for weddings and we aim to ensure that wedding receptions do not impact negatively on the enjoyment of leisure guests and hence this is why we have additional seating outside our banqueting suite.

Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with my colleagues so that they are fully aware of how you felt. Should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email gbjones@handpicked.co.uk

Gwyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Had a mid-week stay with dinner and breskfast. This was our second visit to this very nice hotel/location complimented by a very nice pool/spa.

The service and food quality was excellent.

Very peacefull location and very good value.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
What a wonderful review. It is always great to receive feedback about the team delivering excellent customer service, as we spend a lot of time training our team about exceeding guest expectations.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Gwyn Jones.
Nantwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent 24hours of seriously needed down time. The hotel is in beautiful countryside not far from the market town of Nantwich. We chose the quiet of the hotel spa and surroundings.
the hotel and Spa staff were well trained, friendly and seemed happy in their posts. Service was first class, Food fresh, local and beautifully prepared.
I will happily spend another 24 hours at this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms have their advantages I'm sure requests will be meet with .