“Lovely stay”

Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed at Rookery hall hotel for 2 nights 12/13 May 2013 and hada lovely break. Check-in was fast and easy and was quickly shown to our room 302 in the new building seperate from the main hotel. Room was to the usual standard of a 'Hand Picked Hotel', but nothing out of the ordinary for this premier group. Dinner and breakfast was perfect as was the service. Our only disappointment was that we were in a Conference block with rooms that felt very detached from the hotel itself and would have prefered a more traditional room in the main hotel. The new block feels very much like entering a council office block with no furnishings along the corridors,art work on the walls and no window dressings which could easily be addressed. If you preference is
to have a tv at the end of your bath then these rooms are the ones for you. Ask to be in the new part!

Room Tip: modern rooms in the new block but away from the main hotel or more traditional 'country house ho...
1  Thank robertandjohn
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay. I was delighted to read your comments with regard to your stay and the service received from the team. We do take great pride in our product and service and in particular in our high levels of food quality.

We are always receptive to feedback about our product and service and we work earnestly to make continuous improvements in these areas. We have a great team of people working at the hotel and it is nice that you have highlighted the team for their wonderful efforts.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Rookery Hall in the future.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed at Rookery Hall for a weekend break. Fantastic setting, with beautiful gardens. Stayed in a double executive which was excellent, TV in the bathroom was novel but made sure of a nice long soak! Food was superb, real quality and came as part of the package we booked, although you will pay at least £30 for a bottle of wine.
There were two weddings on the weekend we were there but to be honest you wouldn't have noticed. They were in a separate Parton the hotel and there was no noise or disruption at all. Spa was modern and a great pool. It did get quite busy late afternoon, but that is to be expected. Gym is small and could do with modernising, but was adequate.
Highlights were definitely the cream tea which was amazing. Staff were excellent and couldn't do enough for you. Chester isn't too far away, and is definitely worth a visit . Cathedral is a must do, and the shopping is superb.
Overall, it is definitely worth a visit to the hotel where Posh and Becks got engaged !

Room Tip: If you want to sTay in the old part of the hotel you need to ask on booking, we didn't so I can...
1  Thank Chinmeister
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We value our guest comments and they assist us in improving our standards and quality of service which we provide. I was delighted to read your feedback about the team and the quality of the food and accommodation.

We continually review our standards in order ensure that high standards are maintained at all times.

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for my partners 40th. The setting is lovely, wonderful gardens, lovely views from our room. Very friendly professional reception and friendly staff throughout. We didn't have dinner at the hotel as the restaurant was full on the sat night but its only a 5 min drive into Nantwitch. Our room was the executive double in the new seperate building, good size and very well equipped room. Breakfast was very good, great choice, lots of fresh fruit and more options than you really need!!! The only negative was the Sunday morning was very busy and hence the staff seemed to get a few orders slightly mixed up around us, inc ours but this was quickly amended and staff were very apologetic. The spa was modern, well equipped, great size pool and whilst it was again a seperate building and was raining it was still very good. Overall lovely hotel, excellent staff, lovely setting. Would recommend it and would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank PaulandDawn48

Thank you very much for a wonderful review of Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa. I am pleased the Hotel provided a superb stay and that our staff has shown what they are good at: looking after our guests. I will naturally pass your comments to the team as well and look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the future.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I can not fault this hotel, for our stay it was great value for money, the restaurant is in my view worth the extra expense for a great meal out and all and all we had a wonderful weekend. Shop around for a good deal and you can not go wrong. During our stay there were two weddings and the bar and terras were kept open for the 'normal' guests which was nice ( have had different experience in other hotels with weddings taking over the place) . The breakfast is excellent and a real treat with far too much choice, go early for a table at one of the windows and the bunnies hopping along the lawn will entertain you. I guess the only negative comment I can make is that the Spa is not connected to the hotel, so you can not just put on a dressing gown and slippers but you need to get changed at the spa itself, which is not my preferred option, it would have been nice to just go back again to your own room in your dressing gown but that would have meant having to walk outside... oh and slippers in the room would have been a nice touch as well as I have come to expect them in spa hotels... Great weekend and I will most certainly return soon when I can.

Room Tip: we had a room in the original building, great view and charming furnishings, only negative comment i...
2  Thank LadyC77

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Rookery Hall.

I was delighted to read your comments with regards to your stay and will ensure that they are passed to the team here at the hotel. It is always very pleasing to read such positive feedback and I thank you for taking the time to write.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa very soon.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed as family members of a wedding party - but also took the trip as a weekend break.

As a family / relation to the wedding party we felt detached from the Rookery hotel itself.
The issue and feedback are not aimed at the Head Chef or individuals, it relates to the organisational aspects and supervision - in other words Management and customer service.

As such in the morning after the wedding day we assumed that breakfast would be with othe residents in the Rookery, however it was not. We were asked to return to the wedding hall adjacent to the hotel.
We entered the wedding reception room but told breakfast was not in this room but upstairs. The room upstairs was small and hadt he feel of an "after-thought"
When we arrived for breakfast we were told that "more people than expected had stayed" with the wedding party and hence come for breakfast. This was down to communication within the hotel. However, other hotels have the ability to note such issues as a result of busy times and proactively clear spaces when people have actually finished and move away - this did not happen.
As per the feedback at reception when we checked-out we were fuming but as the bride herself was present we did not actually make too much fuss - even though there was no places set, no cuttlery, no coffee, little service - as above we did feedback to reception who did genuinely appear shocked and apologetic.
However much it costs to stay at a hotel I would expect a fork, coffee and a place to sit - let alone at the the Rookery.
We began to eat breakfast at an uncleared place setting eating bacon and breakfast with a Knife and Spoon - no forks were available - we raised place settings, cuttlery and the coffee machine being broken to staff.
Cohesion and supervision were poor.

The room upstairs where we were led to for breakfast was poor with little ambiance, bearing no relation to the Rookery hotel itself, in fact the whole wedding was on the periphery of the original historic hotel. Again to be balanced the recepion area and service for the wedding reception meal was good.

To reiterate I always provide fair, balanced and honest feedback based on both experience of the visit and the type / rating of the hotel i.e expectation. This was the worst customer service ever, at any hotel and anywhere in the world we have visited to date.

If you consider the detail and reference it against the Rookery it would be hard to believe - but it happened.

I note that Rookery Management generally reply to feedback on Trip Advisor- I have had contact following completion of he customer survey, whilst the rating for the Rookery is generally positive (which should be expected) I do note that other Trip Advisor entries have replied recently about service being "inconsistent" in one entry and needing to be "on the ball" in another.
It would be prudent to escalate the service issue before service has a detrimental impact on the hotel.

The irony was that in the room where we hadt he reception the day before - whilst we were having the experience outlined above - there was actually a Wedding Fair taking place.

The hotel bedroom was very good - the price charged reflected this. Room service was fast and efficient but the choice a little limited.

If you stay as a guest at a wedding my advice would be to ask to be treated like a normal guest.

We recently stayed at hotel near Whitby called Raithwaite Hall (see my review). If the Rookery wish to measure themselves against good customer service I suggest some hotel Management team would be advised to pay a visit.

You will find that I have in excess of 60 balanced entries on Trip Advisor all based upon my opinion and genuine feedback.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mikie346

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review of your recent visit. I was very disappointed to read your comments and would like to offer my personal apologies for the issues that you experienced with the service of Breakfast; this is not acceptable.

Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with my colleagues so that they are fully aware of how you felt.

We do endeavour to ensure that every dining experience is a memorable and enjoyable one and once again I sincerely apologise that this was not achieved on this occasion, I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Rookery Hall in the very near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights midweek as a birthday treat for my wife and also a late wedding anniversary break. Had a lovely room in the old part of the building with views overlooking the countryside. Food was excellent, especially breakfast, service was attentive without being intrusive.
Spa facilities were very good. Very clean changing rooms and pool, lovely loungers around the pool.
One spooky thing, we were married in Feb 2000 in Las Vegas and we stayed at Treasure Island Hotel. When we arrived at Rookery Hall we were given February room and the phone on the desk had come from Treasure Island!
We throughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely come back and recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your feedback in relation to your recent experience here at the hotel.

We have spent a great deal of time and effort over recent years investing in the people and the property and creating wonderful bedrooms and innovative menus. It is very pleasing when we receive such feedback and myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here for a birthday treat and weren't disappointed we had a great time. Stayed in January a junior suite in the old house with a lovely bay window with window seat giving a great view of the grounds. Rooms a little tired but bed nice and comfy and bathroom spacious and well equipped. The cat they give you as a do not disturb is a great touch.
Spa facilities were great, pool sauna and hydrotherapy pool all very enjoyable.
Food was good although menu was confusing for the inclusive dinner in our room rate, ala carte versus table d'hote and an array of supplement prices. But when it came we enjoyed the ala carte food, not quite worthy of the price charged, unseasoned squid in starter, no crackers for the cheese board (how do you run out of crackers?) and my chocolate fondant was like something from tescos, but the mains were sublime and the scallops in the starter cooked to perfection. Service could be improved it was patchy at best especially at breakfast. Some great wines on wine list especially if you have deep pockets, we enjoyed the wine immensely.
All in all a lovely break, stay in the old house if you can as the new bit looks a bit ordinary.

Room Tip: stay in old house
1  Thank SparkyQ
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you found the spa and the treatments to be excellent and the bedroom very comfortable however naturally I was disappointed you found the menu to be confusing and the service inconsistent at breakfast.

We are very proud of our wine list and I am delighted you enjoyed the wine immensely.

Thank you again for your review.

Gwyn Jones

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Crewe Hall
Mottram Hall
Mottram Hall
#1 of 1 in Mottram St. Andrew
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!