“Close to being outstanding”

Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Close to being outstanding”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I have just had an enjoyable two nights break in an executive room. This is a fabulous location and with fours stars plus two rosettes for dining we were expecting high standards. Our expectations were not reached only because of niggling little annoyances which could have been prevented with a bit of supervision. For example if someone had checked our room the dirty glass left on the table would heve been seen; the two cobwebs would have been removed from the wall and the chromium sanitary disposal bag dispenser that had fallen off the bathroom wall would have been replaced or the sticky pads on to which it had been stuck on the wall could have been removed. Breakfast on the first morning had been cooked long before we arrived in the restaurant and was dried up. Yes we complained and on the second morning the breakfast delivered to our table was superb. It can be done and if you run a hotel with a big reputation you have to keep standards up. At Rookery Hall they just need a tweak.

2 Thank Peter J
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete a review online following your recent visit to Rookery Hall and was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable two night break.

I was however concerned to read that we had not exceeded tour expectations, something we strive to deliver to every customer. There can never be any reasonable explanation why the cleaning of the room and its maintenance is not meticulous and we will be monitoring the effectiveness of the room attendant to ensure that standards are maintained at all times. Please be assured that this is not a comment we receive habitually and I am sincerely sorry that you had cause to highlight concerns in this area.

I was concerned to read your comments relating to breakfast. Your feedback has been addressed with the Head Chef, who has asked me to offer his personal apologies for the poor level of food quality on the first morning and has instigated a program of retraining. I was delighted to read that the breakfast was back to its superb standard the following morning.

Gwyn Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Rookery Hall is a beautiful hotel and we met some lovely, helpful members of staff. But overall the service and quality of food and drink falls far, far short of the standard indicated by the extremely high prices.

Problems began at check in, we arrived at midday and while - clearly - we couldn't be shown to our room straight away, we were happy to wait in the bar while it was made ready. We were eventually told it was ready 3 hours later, just a few minutes before the guaranteed check in time. Meaning that for some reason and despite our request, our room was among the last to be prepared.

In the bar, where a glass of wine costs £12 or more, we were kept waiting - more than once - at an unmanned bar. I eventually had to go and fetch someone to sell me a glass of something I could have bought at Tesco's for a quarter of the price.

In the restaurant, we asked to be reminded of the differences between the sirloin and rib eye steaks, after asking the chef our server told us they were 'from different parts of the animal', at which point it became hard to enquire further without being rude. When they arrived, the £30 steaks (+£4.50 for peppercorn sauce) were barely of high street pub quality and we had to specifically ask to be given steak knives.

At breakfast the next morning it was simply chaos - we had to ask three times for coffee, ask for our orders to be taken and overall were kept waiting for well over half an hour. Others were also kept waiting and had to ask for service several times. In fact it was so, so bad that I think some key staff member must have been ill (or drunk) and to be fair the following day was a great improvement.

On visiting the spa, we discovered that a class of schoolchildren were using the pool. You can imagine how relaxing an environment this created. I was told this fact is mentioned on the website but haven't been able to find it.

In fairness there is much that is good about Rookery Hall - the (executive) room we stayed in was spacious and lovely, the staff were friendly and helpful - if inexplicably overwhelmed at times as noted above. The grounds are beautiful, the spa is lovely when it's not full of schoolchildren and the building is beautiful with lovely open fires.

So it's by no means a bad hotel, but if you're going to charge prices that would make a London Member's bar blush, you need to do much, much better than this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete a review your recent visit to Rookery Hall. I was delighted that you enjoyed the majority of your stay and that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

I was concerned to read your comments relating to the restaurant quality. Our restaurant is a 2 Rosette Restaurant and undergoes regular inspections to keep this status. I am sorry that your experience did not reflect the quality and standard associated with this accolade.

I am disappointed you found our bar tariff to be overpriced as one of the features of staying at Rookery Hall is the wide selection of wines we offer by the glass, with prices from £6.00. These are served in elegant surroundings, with table service and accompanied by three quality nibbles. I am sorry you felt that this experience didn’t offer exceptional value for money for a 4* hotel. As with the wines, we also have a good choice of beers, ales and spirits which vary in price according to the brand chosen.

We take all issues raised by our guests very seriously and I do hope that you will consider staying at Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa again in the future in which case please contact me directly. Where you have my assurance that you will receive high levels of service and standards which people come to enjoy and expect from our hotels.

Launceston, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I did not stay at Rookery hall but was at a funtcion there, My partner is disabled, there did not seem to be any disabled parking and the car park is a nightmare. Maybe it is not yet finished yet much of the surface is made up of uneven stones poorly finished. As a bloke I do not use high heels, how the girls get on I hate to think ! Part of the event was held in the old house and there were to many people for the space avalible. We then had to walk outside the length of the building for the meal . Not ideal as snow was forecast and it was not raining, it would have been grim if it had been it was very cold though. It may be fine for the fit or soon to be fit but for the rest of us it's not good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete a review online following your recent visit to Rookery Hall.

I was naturally disappointed to read that we had not exceeded your expectations, we do have several allocated disabled car parking spaces however would have been more than happy to reserve an additional space had you phoned ahead. The wedding breakfast was held in our banqueting suite; I am sorry that you found the moving between the Nantwich Suite and Old Hall to be inconvenient. Unfortunately the listed status of some aspects of the original building makes a walkway to the Nantwich Suite difficult to install.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write with your honest and constructive review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa in the very near future.

sheffield
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed one night for a wedding in room number 1. (Not reviewing the wedding, but that was lovely!) Room was fine, clean and comfortable, (not the 'wow' factor we had hoped for), but very noisy, as it was by the big door out to the wedding reception room, which was used throughout the night. Reception staff were helpful and courteous and check-in was quick.Servers at the wedding was mostly very good, though our friends meal was forgotten twice, and the wine-servers were attentive and charming. The main gripe about our stay came at breakfast. Service was unbearably slow, and we had to ask for tea and toast 3 times. We were aware that the hotel was quite full, but felt that this should not compromise service. The staff seemed flustered; perhaps members of staff were missing? Food was good, (when it finally arrived), as was the selection on offer, and the view from the dining room was beautiful.

For the price- even though we'd got an offer!-I would have expected better. We presume this establishment is aiming to be a first class hotel and spa venue, and we are pretty sure it could be. Attention to service should be the number one priority, and at times it was patchy. And at other times it was excellent. Hence the need for a 'good' rating on Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Number one isn't the number 1!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online guest feedback card following your recent visit to Rookery Hall. I was delighted to read your feedback about the wedding breakfast and indeed the team who looked after you and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team.

I was concerned to read your comments relating to breakfast. Your feedback has been addressed with the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager, both of whom have asked me to offer their personal apologies for the poor level of service.

merseyside
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Only had one night here it was my Birthday, but thoroughly enjoyed it, we stayed in an exec' room in the new part it was superb, the staff were great and the afternoon tea fabbbbb. would be stunning in the spring or if the weather is favourable, as the grounds are immense, can't wait to return : )))

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank myrtal
Gwyn J, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and your afternoon tea. On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at Rookery Hall, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed in this hotel at the end of December and we were a family of 3 and I would definitely not stay here again.

Given so much wrong information when booking / checking in and our room was not even ready until after 4pm when we had requested an early check in and told this was fine.

Supposed to be a deluxe room but bathroom was not clean at all, TV didn’t work, 2 beds pushed together and a pull out sofa bed for our child. Apparently deluxe only means extra space but there was only just enough room to walk round in this one so I would hate to stay in a standard family room.

Staff have no idea what they are telling you and yes there were a few fabulous members of staff they were in the minority.

Not a great hotel experience and one definitely not to be repeated.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rookery Hall benefits from a high level of returning guests due to the high standards that we usually achieve. I am very sorry that your experience fell short of these standards on this particular occasion. Rarely can an early check in be guaranteed without booking the room the night prior and due to the pick up of bedrooms in this period we could not have guaranteed that this was possible until the night prior.

I was disappointed you felt that you had two single beds pushed together as the bed is a zip and link bed and is commonly used in hotels across the world. As the name suggests the single beds link together and when linked make a true double bed. There can never be any reasonable explanation why the cleaning of the room is not meticulous and we will be monitoring the effectiveness of the room attendant and the floor housekeeper to ensure that standards are maintained at all times. Please be assured that this is not a comment we receive habitually and I am sincerely sorry that you had cause to highlight concerns in this area.

Finally, I would like to thank you for your honest and constructive feedback.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further help now or in the future.

Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

We came here for a romantic weekend away on secret escapes and had the best weekend. The hotel is situated near Chester, lovely grounds, the room was a decent size and clean, service from staff was brilliant and the restaurant is highly recommended, best part of the visit! The spa is also well worth a visit, one of the best places I have stayed, and would return in a second.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank L H
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay. I was delighted to read your comments with regard to your stay and the service received from the team

We do take great pride in our product and service and in particular in our high levels of food quality. I notice you are definitely looking to return, we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Gwyn Jones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Crewe Hall
#1 of 1 in Broxton
Rowton Hall Hotel
Rowton Hall Hotel
#5 of 44 in Chester

Been to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!