“Great Hotel”

Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nantwich
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I have stayed loads of times and rate it as the best in area. oak room a fantastic restaurant great for entertaining. staff fantastic Earle, Sam, Jess, Brian, Josie from HK always has a smile. i look forward to my next visit soon!

Room Tip: classic style and new rooms just ask when booking. new rooms have TV in bathrooms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
StephenFearnley, Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Hello

Thank you for posting your review.

Our team you mentioned enjoyed reading your review and we are glad that as a regular guest you enjoy the hotel and the service we provide.

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Rookery Hall for one night in March. It was an impromptu stay as a pre-cursor to a day at the races. We only live 20 minutes from Nantwich so wouldn't normally have stayed at a hotel so close to home but as the hotel had such a great deal on offer (£129 d,b&b for 2!!) we thought we would take advantage of the children staying with granny for the weekend.

We have stayed at two other 'handpicked' hotels: Ettington Park (Stratford upon Avon) and Seiont Manor (Snowdonia) which were both excellent so we had some idea of the standard to expect. We weren't disappointed.

The welcome we received at reception was second to none. Our room was spectacular. We stayed in 'March' - a very spacious room overlooking the gardens. It was in the old part of the house so full of character - high ceilings, large picture windows, etc. If you prefer mod cons and a more contemporary feel then maybe one of the executive rooms would be more for you?

Both the evening meal and breakfast were beautiful. The choice at both meals was fantastic, portions good and tasted wounderful. Wine selection is very good too. The service is quite formal and the staff made little effort to interact but that was fine for us.

We also used the spa facilities, available to guests throughout their stay, which were also very good.

In conclusion, we had a fantastic stay and couldn't fault a thing. If you are considering a visit definitely get it booked. You won't be disappointed.

Hello

Thank you for writing your review.

It was nice to read that you came to visit us, also that you have enjoyed similiar experiences at other Hand Picked hotels.

I'm glad you enjoyed room March, this room faces onto the lawn at the rear of the hotel and has some of the best views of the Cheshire countryside.

Thank you for your super review, please come back and visit us soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

We spent one night at Rookery Hall on a spa break.

The hotel is beautiful, surrounded by glorious Cheshire countryside..a really peaceful retreat. You can see why it is a popular choice for weddings.

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, but no matter, we were greeted by friendly staff and we left out case in reception while we went to enjoy the spa.
The spa staff were very helpful and we were shown round and made our choice for our comlimentary lunch. The spa, including pool, sauna, steam room, changing room and cafe areas was spotlessly clean...no cracked tiles or mouldy grout here! It is very well kept. The hydropool was a real treat. My husband enjoyed the well equipped gym and we both had massages. I had a facial too....the best I've ever had and so relaxing. (Thank you Kelly)Naturally water was available in key places in the spa, but the bowls of fresh fruit were a pleasant surprise...help yourself! Lunch was delicious!

When we went over to our room, our case was already there and a jug of ice cold milk arrived at our room so I could make coffee ( much better than that UHT rubbish!)
The room was spacious and the bathroom was clean and modern, with "TileVision". (I could get used to that!)

We headed for dinner, via a drink in the bar. Dinner was fantastic. Not at all rushed, and to be greeted by our names as we arrived was a bonus. Breakfast the follwoing morning was equally outstanding both in terms of food quality and standard of service. Outstandingly good!

This is the key to Rookery Hall... the staff and the service are first rate! I cannot emphasise this highly enough. EVERY member of staff, whatever their role, was friendly, professional, attentive...I could go on. The staffing budget must be astronomical simply because there are so many staff, but they were ALL superb. (I hope the manager is reading this!!!)

There is just one negative...sorry! As we were there during school holidays, children were allowed in the spa pool from 9:00 - 11:00am and from 2:00 - 5:00 pm. This amounts to FIVE hours of the day. We went for a restful, relaxing spa break...but unfortunately during these times, if I'd closed my eyes, I might as well have been at the local swimming baths, such was the splashing, shrieking and shouting.
I know it makes me sound grumpy, but I work with children and I came for a break. It was not made clear on the website, nor when we phoned to book that this would be the case. In fact we chose Rookery Hall above other places because other places stated they allowed children at certain times. I know, I could have asked when I booked, so I'm not pointing the finger of blame, as such....but it was a real shame.
The children were restricted to the pool only, and even then to a cordoned off half of it...but while we were there a member of staff had to speak to two families who were allowing their children to use the hydropool and children in the "adults swim" section of the pool went unchecked by their parents.
This is the one thing that would put us off returning.

That's enough of that...please do not let my recent rant put you off Rookery Hall...it is astonishingly good in its appearance, cleanliness, food, staffing and service.

Room Tip: Upgrade....the extra few pounds is worth it for the view and the upgraded bathroom
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello

Thank you for your review.

I'm glad you enjoyed your treatments and I know Kelly will be delighted you enjoyed your facial and massage.

I agree with your comments about the team here at Rookery we do try our very best to ensure the guests are looked after and feel at home in our hotel.

I'm sorry about your experience in the pool area, we do offer restricted times for children I'm sorry this was not highlighted to you.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Rookery Hall itself is a wonderful place to stay, we were in an executive room which was decorated to a very high standard. The staff were welcoming and were of a very high calibre, they couldn't seem to do enough for you and were extremely attentive although during our meal this became irritating!
The food was of a high standard in the restaurant but unfortunately it came in tiny portions, on our first night we ordered food my jaw hit the floor as the starter was literally 'just a mouthful'. The main course arrived and I was again dumbstruck as the food arrived on a generic sized dinner plate and consisted of literally five mouthfuls! It was a tiny oasis of food,lost amongst a desert of white pottery and I was disgusted that the hotel deemed these portions acceptable.
We decided to forgo the restaurant the following night and order from the room service menu,a much better choice as it arrived in less time than the restaurant food seemed to and was much less of a 'nouvelle cuisine' experience!
Its a lovely hotel but, unless you are anorexic and don't mind paying ridiculous prices for the food, avoid the restaurant! The over attentiveness of the staff became tiresome as we seemed to be pressured at every opportunity to buy drinks and shot glasses of sorbet at every breath, it became embarrassing to keep refusing.

Room Tip: Avoid restaurant menu and choose evening bar meals instead.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dean J

Hello

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm glad on the whole you enjoyed the hotel, I take your feedback on board with regard to the staff, it seems we have been to eager to please on this occassion.

Our restaurant offers a fine dining experience and the food portion size relects this. I'm glad you enjoyed our in room dining experience at the hotel.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed at Rookery Hall one night in late March 2012, to break a long journey North, and to enjoy a relaxing break; we got a good deal with Secret Escapes, and were delighted with the whole Rookery Hall experience.
Our first impressions were all good; the quiet country location, the beautiful grounds, the charming old building which houses the hotel reception and restaurant, as well as the smart new extension in which our excellent room was located. We enjoyed our visit to the spa, which was obviously newly built and very well appointed.
All the staff were polite, friendly and helpful, from reception to spa and restaurant.
Dinner was a particular delight, beginning with our complementary glass of champagne served in the beautifully furnished lounge where we later enjoyed coffee after dinner. The wood-panelled dining room was also very impressive, as was the meal itself. This was a high end dining experience to be savoured,and we both loved every dish! The wine list is extensive and, as one should expect, some wines were rather expensive.
Next morning we enjoyed wonderful breakfasts; we would recommend the Full English and the Eggs Benedict. Rookery Hall is only a few miles from the market town of Nantwich, a pleasant place to explore.
We loved our visit, and would recommend Rookery Hall for a short break in a lovely setting.

Hello

I was delighted to read your review, thank you for taking the time to complete this.

It was nice to read your about your experience at the hotel, we are very proud of the hotel and the team here but reading your review always makes it worth while.

Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Had a lovely two night stay at Rookery Hall with my daughter. Hotel very impressive building. Our room was in the newer block overlooking the gardens. We had an executive double which had been made into a twin as requested. Nice seating area and modern decor. Bathroom larger than normal hotel bathrooms and had a separate shower and bath. The TV in the bathroom was great! Most of the staff were friendly and very helpful. Special thanks to the spa manager Mark who resolved an issue we had in the spa in a very professional manner. The food in the restaurant was outstanding. We had our breakfast in our room one morning and it was delivered on time and was piping hot. I would definitely recommend Rookery Hall. The Hotel manager should be very proud of the hotel and the service they provide.

• Stayed: April 2012

Hello

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I'm so glad you enjoyed the facilities. I'm sorry you had an issue in the spa however I'm pleased that Mark was able to resolve this for you.

We are very proud of the team at Rookery they are indeed very special.

We hope to see you soon

Reviewed April 3, 2012

Great deal was had here as this was a last minute 'all in' stay. The welcome by reception was excellent and our cases were taken to our room. The room was very nice indeed and as the title suggests a TV in the bathroom. The grounds etc were very well maintained and the outlook is lovely. The spa and pool are very spacious and exceptionally clean and well cared for. Staff were very helpful and courtious in coridors etc.

Although the room was generally clean we did notice that table legs were very dusty and so too was the large mirror in reception (sunshine shows all!)

Restaurant staff were on the whole very good, the evening started off very well but as our meal got underway we did find that drinks were slow coming. This was a little dissapointing but didn't spoil our evening. This was true of breakfast also but when breakfast arrived it was very nice indeed and hot and fresh.
This was excellent value (deal offer) and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: We were placed at the rear
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
StephenFearnley, General Manager at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Hello,

Thank you so much for a really super review, just lovely!

Really happy the reception team looked after you so well and all our wonderful facilities were well received.

The mirror in reception has a framed notice next to it stating it dates back to 1816 and has a dated appearance; sorry you missed this explanation of its presentation.

Sorry there was a short delay in drinks service during the meal but glad it did not spoil your overall experience,

We hope to see you soon

Stephen

PS glad you loved the TV in the bath!! it is such fun

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nantwich
Crewe Hall
The Chester Grosvenor
#4 of 45 in Chester
De Vere Cranage Estate
Doubletree by Hilton Chester

Been to Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!