“Big thumbs up from me”

Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Middlewich
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: THE journey from Wheelock Street to Chimichangos may just be a few steps. But as soon as you walk through the door it feels like a voyage of discovery. Shades of orange and subtle lighting lend an ambience to the restaurant. Above the bar is a painted landscape filled with cacti and sombreros playfully hang from walls and chairs. It is the kind of scene you might expect from an inner-city restaurant but this is Middlewich. Chimichangos officially opened at the weekend and the Guardian was invited to give it a try. Owner Jason Tanfield has transformed Kandi’s Steakhouse into a Mexican restaurant. The 36-year-old said he identified a gap in the market as there is only a handful of independent venues in Cheshire where you can enjoy Mexican food. Jason is also drawing on his experience as he used to be the head chef at a restaurant called The Three Amigos in Exeter about 15 years ago. My partner and I were promptly seated and were struck by how attentive and polite the staff were. We were soon sipping Coronas and tucking into some tortilla chips with delicious home-made salsa. To start we had creamy garlic mushrooms in a tortilla shell and jalapenos stuffed with soft cheese which were both perfect. We followed this up with vegetable fajitas and chicken fajitas respectively - and this is where Chimichangos showed its edge over some of its competitors. Firstly you can choose how hot you want your food to be which is sure to be welcomed by both spice addicts and those who like things mild. The portions were also incredibly generous which tends to be unusual for Mexican restaurants. There genuinely was not much to criticise but it would have been nice to have some cheese with the fajitas but im told they do normally and had forgot!! The service was prompt and my partner, a vegetarian, was impressed with the range of suitable dishes. Credit also goes to Jason for making good use of the limited space available. At the time of our visit a large group for a 21st birthday celebration was being accomodated. We were defeated by the time it came to dessert but suffice to say a taste of Mexico is on offer for those with a sweet tooth. The menu even includes a banana wrapped in a tortilla and dusted with cinnamon called a chimichanga. The whole experience was fantastic and comes highly recommended.NOTE:This was a secret food critic from the guardian newspaper just search GUARDIAN NEWSPAPER MIDDLEWICH
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I've visited this restaurant many times and for such a small town this resturant has a big personality. The food always tops the night and we have honestly never been disappointed. The restaurant itself is quite small but this gives it a really cosy and intimate feel, although you still have privacy too. The staff have always been welcoming and it's great to see the chefs make an appearance from time to time too. Another plus for me is that the music and lighting is well thought of which i always think makes a massive difference, for anyone who's visited Mexico you feel like you could actually be there.... Corny i know, but true! I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

This place was recommended by my boyfriend's parents and friends of mine know the owners, so I decided to take a visiting friend in April for some Mexican food. The first problem for me was walking into the place and finding the (male) stripper from the club next door (owned by the sane people) serving us. We were then served some tortilla chips which, my friend joked looked as if they had been sat on before being served and 0 dips accompanied them. The rest of the other food was also below par and despite the two of us enjoying spicy food it was far too hot and the flavours were not that great either.
To make it even worse there was a customer at the back of the room (him and his girlfriend being the only other customers in the room, and who by the shouting by the bar were obviously friends of before mentioned stripper) who kept revealing himself and then pouring tobasco sauce on his private parts. A very unpleasant experience indeed.

5  Thank Helen91cheshire
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed in the area for a few days this was the last place I have eaten.
And the best! What more can I say apart from its the best in the area and I'm a regular of panama Hatties and the big chains but this is out of this world! Will defo bring my girlie friends for a night out well worth the travel!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Amazing! No longer do we have to travel to travel to 'Mexican style' restaurant chains, when this gold mine is sat right on our doorstep.
The food was outstanding, with the quality of ingredients evident throughout. I loved the chicken Mole - it was a pleasant surprise to see it on the menu.
The only dissapointment was that I couldn't fit in a dessert - next time hey!

If you love Mexican food you need to visit this restaurant!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Tried to order takeaway from here, but after driving there was told "we don't do it when we're busy". Since I had travelled from Sandbach I asked how a customer was supposed to know when they decided to do takeaway. The reaction to this was "what do you mean?". Maybe the food is good but with the restaurant refusing to serve me I can't really give anything other than the lowest score.

5  Thank Paul H
jasontanfield, Manager at Chimichangos, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Firstly i would like to appologise about the take away issue.
We dont usually have customers walking in for take aways they usually telephone first and we advise them the time they can come and collect or if we are very busy as we were last night sometimes we just have to say no because we are too busy and as you can understand we are a restaurant so restaurant customers come first.
However we should not have said no to you last night but the staff thought that was easier than saying theres a 90 minute wait so i appologise for this.
We have now reviewed our policy on this and any cutomer whether a take away walk in or telephone order will not be told were too busy we will just give an approximate time the order will be ready whether its 10 minutes or 2 hours.
Once again we are very sorry and would like to offer you a complimentary takeaway for 2 people with a bottle of wine whenever you like.
Please call us on 01606 836000.
jason