“pleasant surprise in small cheshire town”
Review of The Sandhurst

The Sandhurst
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Middlewich
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Having come onto the site to post a favourable review after my recent stay at Sandhurst Hotel, I was surprised to find that other reviewers experience had not been as good. We were guests at a wedding function, during which the owner could not do enough for us, and catering superbly for all guests including children. The main downside was being kept awake at 2am by a boisterous party ( not connected to the wedding ) in an adjoining room, apparently fuelled by excessive drinking and illegal smoking - thankfully the manager quickly intervened to placate the situation so that our stay was not spoiled.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed May 14, 2008

I booked my stay at this hotel in the 15th October 2007, with a request for a room at the back overlooking the gardens

On arrival at the hotel Thursday the 11th May 2008, I was greeted with oh I have double booked, I have a couple with 2 children booked into that room. I said i am sorry but I have been booked from the 15th October 2007, to which the reply was, well what am I going to do.

Then some other friends had arrived from all over the country. We then went to the bar for drinks all was fine, on returning to the bar for a second time one drink was ordered,when asked for another drink, we were told Oh this is going to be a long one, I am off to get changed, and we were left standing at the bar.

In the evening during dinner one of our party asked for a drink to go with his meal and was promptly told NO!!! sorry i'm too busy.
When we arrived back at our room, my friend decided to go down into the garden to have a cigarette, but was unable to get out of the room as the door handle came off and fell on the floor (we were stuck) The owner then knocked on the door asking us to settle down and go to sleep we explained that we couldn't get out of the room because the handle had fell off, well I will fix it in the morning(but we can't get out) the owner had to open the door from the other side.

The day at 6am i received a phone call to say my mum had been rushed to hospital, so i had been waiting around the hotel for news of what was happening. The owner made us a pot of tea as we were sitting in the garden. Then we were told oh I don't know what I am going to do I have a family comming in and don't know where to put them, would it be ok if i had one of the spare mattresses from your room? In the end my friend and I disscussed it and offered to move rooms if it would help,which we did, and the owner refunded 1 evening for which we had paid. This was in fact the day that a wedding had been booked.Then at about 1-30 in the afternoon i was asked what my plans were as there was a wedding booked and they had paid for exclusive use of the gardens.To which I replyed that I was also a paying guest, and maybe other guest should not have been booked in if the wedding party had paid for exclusive use of the garden, to be promptly told that I had paid for a room. So we just wandered around the town untill I had news about my mother.

Sorry but I must have missed something, on searching for a hotel you pay for the room and the facilities (the gardens)

On the morning of our departure the owner made no acknowledgement of her guests at breakfast .

It was such a shame that a lovely weekend meeting with friends from all over the country had been spoilt

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
13  Thank geminthecrown
Reviewed May 11, 2008

Sandhurst Hotel aka Fawlty Towers – a Step back in time to a Bygone Era!!!!

When booking we were asked not to arrived between 3 & 4pm as owner would be collecting her child from school. We arrived around 4.30 to find the hotel locked and no answer. Fortunately we had friends who were also booked into the hotel whom we telephoned and they came down to open the door.

When the owner did appear we made our presence known and shown to our room with comments about having to put in additional towels as business people use the hotel through the week and they only get one towel. Also the room we were given was no comparison to those shown on the hotel website and the double glazed window unit was in need of replacement (full of condensation) not making for easy viewing of the scenic garden area.

We were asked if it was ok to have breakfast at 9am as the hotel had a wedding function booked the following day and would our friends all be ok with that and it was also said it would be much easier if everyone had an English breakfast so as they could prepare in advance. Also if we wanted to dine in the hotel on the Saturday evening (the day of the wedding) we were told it would have to be after 8.30, once the wedding guests had moved on. We felt that during the day of the wedding we were not welcome to use the gardens as we would clutter up the place for the wedding guests.

When we arrived back into the hotel on the Saturday evening there was not a soul to be seen so rather than disturb anyone we had drinks in a friends room and at bang on midnight the owner banged on the door shouting all sorts of abuse about how rude it was to bring your own drink into the hotel. Had the owner been forthcoming in providing drinks asked for previously (not just now am too busy and how long is this going to take) perhaps we would have given her that custom. Also accusing us of smoking in the hotel room (which we were not, there were 3 smokers who went outside to do so). Also she mentioned that she had been up to 3am the previous morning with other members of our group (who we were not with at the time).

On the morning of our departure the owner made no acknowledgement of her guests at breakfast and on proceeding to settle the bill she tried to charge for meals and drinks we had not had.

How I held my tongue at that point I don’t know, but felt that seeing as the weekend had been like a replica of the TV Sit Com Fawlty Towers it was best to go quietly.

The manageress was hot and cold i.e. really nice and suddenly so rude.

Such a shame a lovely weekend was spoilt by the above and also other incidents relating to our friends who were also staying at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
12  Thank Sylvia P
Reviewed March 27, 2008

I stayed one night at the Sandhurst while in the area for a visit to Oulton Park (motor racing) and was delighted with everything. Rowena is very helpful and a wonderful host. The warm room was a welcome sanctuary on a cold and windy evening,

Free wireless internet is a plus point.

If you are in the area I would highly recommend The Sandhurst.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2008

My husband & I stayed at this great hotel at the end of February 2008. We were greeted on arrival by the owner who checked us in & showed us to a lovely room.
We had dinner in the Hudsons restaurant & the service was good but even better, the food was delicious.
The whole family is involved in this lovely hotel & they all work very hard to give you a warm welcome & to make you feel like one of the family.
We will be coming here again & would recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2007

I work for a London base globally recognized company which mean I stay a way from home a lot. I use Trip advisor all the time to find hotels in the UK to stay in and this time I have found a real gem. The Sandhurst hotel and Hudson’s restaurant have taken my expectations of what a hotel should be to a new level! In fact I think some of the bigger hotel chains could take a leaf out of the Sandhurst hotel’s book. The welcome upon arrival was truly genuine and very warm; the staff compliment the ethos that Steve and Rowena are trying to establish (and are succeeding) very well. The restaurant that accompanies this hotel produces some wonderful food with prices that can only be said to be very reasonable. With all food made on the premises by Neil the chef, you will not get any of this boil in the bag food that some restaurants turn out. I would like to especially recommend mushrooms on French bread with stilton cheese sauce, I had this every night of my week long stay, as a starter .I will be looking to stay at this establishment in very near future.

2  Thank Boy-from-suffolk
Reviewed October 11, 2007

This hotel and restaurant is a very warm and welcoming place.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay, which was for 9 nights.
The management and staff are very friendly and genuinely nice people. I would recommend this to any person of any age, the rooms and are of a high standard and the food is divine!
The restaurant and lounge are always full with friendly people and always has a welcoming atmosphere.
If you want a wonderful meal and a great room then this is the place to go.
I would like to thank Rowena, Steve, Neil, and Jackie for a truly enjoyable stay.

If I am ever in middlewich again, I would not consider staying any where else.

Paul Guy

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlewich
Travelodge Middlewich
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
The Swan Tarporley
The Swan Tarporley
#2 of 4 in Tarporley

Been to The Sandhurst? Share your experiences!